Samsung T5 was acting VERY strange in the cold. Why?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

AnthonySneed

Samsung T5 was acting VERY strange in the cold. Why?

PostSun Feb 21, 2021 1:24 am

I had an outdoor 3 camera shoot today, using BMPC6K's. The weather was around 30˚F. We were outside for quite a bit.

On one camera I had a 2TB Samsung T5 which ran the entire shoot no problem. On my other 6K I had a 1TB T5 and it worked for the first interview, say 45 minutes, then I dumped the footage and when I went to use it again, it wouldn't read. I would try to format and it said it failed. So I googled and it was advised to reformat on a laptop which thankfully I had. I tried and it STILL didn't work. It would give me the ! mark where the record button was. I tried formatting it in all the ways one can. Eventually, I gave up on it and just moved to a CFAST card but I want to figure out what the heck was going on so this doesn't happen again. Could have been a real problem had I not had those CFAST cards on me.

The only thing I can think of is something that happened when we plugged into the laptop? OR it was just really cold and affected the 1TB and not the 2TB.

Oddly, I'm back home now, I put the 1TB in and it works, no problem, 6K RAW. So I'm leaning towards temperature issues, but I look that up and can't find anyone else with the same problem.

Any ideas?
anthonysneed.film

AnthonySneed

Re: Samsung T5 was acting VERY strange in the cold. Why?

PostMon Feb 22, 2021 3:45 am

anyone?
anthonysneed.film

smunaut

PostMon Feb 22, 2021 7:44 pm

Flash chips are known to be sensitive to cold ... now, I wouldn't have expected a complete failure to operate but ... well theory vs reality. 30F is barely 0C right ? So it's not all that cold ...

Now why the 1T and not the 2T ... well the 2T has more chips and so dissipates more power, keeping its internal warmer, that might have been enough.

Another possibility is possibly condensation internally (or inside the connector) causing signal integrity issue. A 5 gbits signal is rather sensitive ...
Ryzen 3700X - AMD R570X / NVidia RTX2700Super (switching between the 2) - Linux

AnthonySneed

PostTue Feb 23, 2021 4:56 pm

smunaut wrote:Flash chips are known to be sensitive to cold ... now, I wouldn't have expected a complete failure to operate but ... well theory vs reality. 30F is barely 0C right ? So it's not all that cold ...

Now why the 1T and not the 2T ... well the 2T has more chips and so dissipates more power, keeping its internal warmer, that might have been enough.

Another possibility is possibly condensation internally (or inside the connector) causing signal integrity issue. A 5 gbits signal is rather sensitive ...

Thank you this was exactly what I was trying to find out. The 2tb being warmer makes so much sense
anthonysneed.film

joe12south

PostTue Feb 23, 2021 5:54 pm

Next time you're on cold shoot, try to remember to bring some of those cheap chemical hand warmers. Really good for keeping gear - especially batteries - closer to normal operating temps.
Pocketluts: Purpose-built LUT system for the Black Magic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
http://www.pocketluts.com/

Return to Cinematography