Sony FX3. Another Apple of Sony.

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

javier forza

Sony FX3. Another Apple of Sony.

PostWed Feb 24, 2021 12:57 pm

Very similar to the Sony A7SIII.
Same sensor.
5 Axis.
10 bit internal. 16 Raw external.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/761635468 ... inema-line

javier forza

Re: Sony FX3. Another Apple of Sony.

PostWed Feb 24, 2021 12:59 pm

Simon Hjortek

PostWed Feb 24, 2021 6:48 pm

It's a nice camera and all, but I'm very confused why it is released, why one would choose it over the A7SIII when they're so similar..

joe12south

PostWed Feb 24, 2021 7:54 pm

No 24P. No shutter angle control. No DCI 4K.

How is this part of the cinema line? It's an A7SIII without a viewfinder.
Dedicated curmudgeon. Part-time artiste.

javier forza

PostThu Feb 25, 2021 7:45 pm

Yes, its true.
I read the fx3 has phantom power. Better ergonomics, metal with some screws in both sides. Zoom into the power button for Sony lenses. Its more compact. But nothing new into the sensor or quality. Less photo camera than video camera in the menu.

The Sony stabilization for shot and gun it's absolutely amazing. Too expensive Sony ecosystem.

Berlin

PostThu Feb 25, 2021 8:38 pm

joe12south wrote:No 24P. No shutter angle control. No DCI 4K.

How is this part of the cinema line? It's an A7SIII without a viewfinder.

It has a fan.
Macbook Pro 16" i7 - DaVinci Resolve Studio 17, After Effects, Motion

robcha

PostSun Mar 07, 2021 12:27 am

Some of the differences between the FX3 and the A7SII:

1) The FX3 has a fan that can be set in a few different modes.
Up to 60 fps: The Sony a7S III overheats after about one hour of recording in ALL-I. No overheating with the FX3.
At 120 fps: The Sony a7S III overheats after about 30 minutes of recording in ALL-I. We don’t have official figures for the FX3 but it’s going to be better due to the fan.
Up to 30 fps: No problems with both cameras.

2) Tally lights. Very nice addition, making it super clear, from many angles, if it is recording or not.

3) No need for a "cage", a bunch of built in mounting threads, which I understand are steel reinforced inside the body so they should be pretty strong

4) XLR connector via the handle

5) Slightly longer battery life (95min vs 90min). I don't know how this has been measured. In reality it is negligible. Some sites have claimed 60% longer battery life, but I strongly doubt this, even if the EVF is not being used.

6) No EVF on the Fx3

7) The fx3 has a zoom rocker level to control power zoom lenses.

Too bad they didn't add electronic ND filters and a better UI optimised for video shooting + internal raw (internal BRAW would be awesome!).
Oh and a global shutter :-)

dondidnod

PostFri Mar 19, 2021 4:14 am

robcha wrote:The FX3 has a fan that can be set in a few different modes.
Up to 60 fps: The Sony a7S III overheats after about one hour of recording in ALL-I. No overheating with the FX3.
At 120 fps: The Sony a7S III overheats after about 30 minutes of recording in ALL-I. We don’t have official figures for the FX3 but it’s going to be better due to the fan.

Without a peltier cooler, even 10 bit video is too much heat for the FX3.

r/videography 3/18/21 u/PerfectStormzy

Sony FX3 shut down from overheating

I just purchased an FX3 which is touted as the mirrorless camera body that CAN'T overheat by many reviewers due to the active cooling fan. I was shooting at a restaurant that was albeit abnormally warm inside and had some shots inside near the grill. The first shut down occurred after approximately 34 mins of footage capture on XAVC HS 4K 200M 4:2:2 10bit 60p...

https://www.reddit.com/r/videography/co ... erheating/

marteloudini

PostWed Jul 21, 2021 6:55 am

the price of FX3 is very very expensive, i prefere take 2 BMCC6K ^^

JonPais

PostWed Jul 21, 2021 7:57 am

dondidnod wrote:
robcha wrote:The FX3 has a fan that can be set in a few different modes.

Without a peltier cooler, even 10 bit video is too much heat for the FX3.

r/videography 3/18/21 u/PerfectStormzy

Sony FX3 shut down from overheating

I just purchased an FX3 which is touted as the mirrorless camera body that CAN'T overheat by many reviewers due to the active cooling fan. I was shooting at a restaurant that was albeit abnormally warm inside and had some shots inside near the grill. The first shut down occurred after approximately 34 mins of footage capture on XAVC HS 4K 200M 4:2:2 10bit 60p...

https://www.reddit.com/r/videography/co ... erheating/

I would be interested in seeing the links to those ‘many reviewers’.
https://daejeonchronicles.com

Dune00z

PostThu Jul 22, 2021 2:07 pm

I own this camera and replaced my blackmagic camera with it. It's much better suited for video then a7siii and is very easy to use. Produces excellent images and is a much more compact a kit compared to my BMD set up. The auto focus and stabilization is fantastic and I can much more easily get the shots I need as a single operator. The BMD camera was cumbersome comparably and I missed focus on shots a lot. You could argue I need to get good, but that doesn't help me practically. Now I don't miss focus due to is extremely good auto focus.

As far as heat is concerned, it can run out the battery shooting 60p continuously without overheating. I don't know what else people expect but they ought to relax.

woofy75

PostThu Jul 22, 2021 2:29 pm

Dune00z wrote:I own this camera and replaced my blackmagic camera with it. It's much better suited for video then a7siii and is very easy to use. Produces excellent images and is a much more compact a kit compared to my BMD set up. The auto focus and stabilization is fantastic and I can much more easily get the shots I need as a single operator. The BMD camera was cumbersome comparably and I missed focus on shots a lot. You could argue I need to get good, but that doesn't help me practically. Now I don't miss focus due to is extremely good auto focus.

As far as heat is concerned, it can run out the battery shooting 60p continuously without overheating. I don't know what else people expect but they ought to relax.

They are totally different tools for totally different jobs. BMPCC could never do what the FX3 does and the FX3 doesn't do what the BMPCC does.

Dune00z

PostThu Jul 22, 2021 3:24 pm

woofy75 wrote:
Dune00z wrote:I own this camera and replaced my blackmagic camera with it. It's much better suited for video then a7siii and is very easy to use. Produces excellent images and is a much more compact a kit compared to my BMD set up. The auto focus and stabilization is fantastic and I can much more easily get the shots I need as a single operator. The BMD camera was cumbersome comparably and I missed focus on shots a lot. You could argue I need to get good, but that doesn't help me practically. Now I don't miss focus due to is extremely good auto focus.

They are totally different tools for totally different jobs. BMPCC could never do what the FX3 does and the FX3 doesn't do what the BMPCC does.

Tell that to BMD users in the forum pooping on the fx3. I am responding to that.

And, I do not fully agree.

There's quite a bit of overlap between the two cameras and both are suitable for a wide variety of projects. In my view and after years of experience using the bmd cameras, one is easier to use solo (FX3) due to automatic features like reliable on the fly AWB and continuous AF, the other is a bit more difficult to use solo but has the arguably the best UI and raw codec in the business. There are other differences of course, but for me, a small package recording system that I can get the shot with reliably on my own that has at least a decent 10bit codec is what I need the most. Since AF and in body stabilization systems have improved dramatically over the last few years, I have no reason to avoid it anymore.

59burst

PostThu Jul 22, 2021 7:49 pm

Adding continuous AF and AWB to the PCC 6K as menu options would take the 6K to another level. BMD's market is solo filmmakers and small production houses. That market needs the ability to select continuous AF and AWB. IBIS and AE would be "nice to have", but those can usually be corrected in post, unlike focus.

JonPais

PostSat Jul 24, 2021 6:25 am

javier forza wrote:Very similar to the Sony A7SIII.
Same sensor.
5 Axis.
10 bit internal. 16 Raw external.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/761635468 ... inema-line
Precisely what does the title of this thread refer to?

dondidnod

PostSat Jul 24, 2021 7:18 pm

59burst wrote:Adding continuous AF and AWB to the PCC 6K as menu options would take the 6K to another level.

If Blackmagic were to follow the ladder to success like Sony did, they would buy a company that makes AF lenses for their technology (Minolta), change to a new mount when the patent protection runs out, and makes several camera products that cover a wide range of markets. Some of those products are not successful, but since they obtain a much higher profit per customer due to brand loyalty and marketing, losses are tolerated. After all, "It's a Sony!" That requires money, lots of it.

AF seems to be the main reason FX3 owners cite for selecting it over Blackmagic cameras. To leverage the FX3's AF abilities, they invest heavily in Sony AF lenses, making it inconvenient to go with another brand for future camera upgrades. The short focus throws, lack of linearity and inconsistent stops make using a follow focus solution difficult on focus by wire AF lenses. An investment in good lenses should last you a lifetime, and be usable on most of your future cameras.

spooky-funk said:
"I think you’re expecting too much from the autofocus in the Sony. I own both an a7s3 and a bmpcc6k and there is no substitute for pulling focus manually. Don’t get me wrong, it’s much improved over the previous gen AF but it still misses the mark sometimes."

A7SIII or BMPCC 6k Pro?

https://www.reddit.com/r/videography/co ... cc_6k_pro/

When applying for a job as a DP, or is it worth putting on your resume that you are used to using Sony AF lenses in a Sony ecosystem? What will a respectable feature film Director think of your abilities if you do?

Sony also makes non-AF CineAlta lenses for the PL mount cameras. I've heard that the image quality is comparable to more expensive lenses. Matt Duclos tried to take apart one in a review, and it fell apart due to the plastic housings with glued in screws that cannot be removed. He speculated that when Sony services them for warranty repairs, they just send the customer a new one. These are not the lens designs approved and tested by Zeiss, and do not bear the Zeiss name.

Nice try, Sony

https://thecinelens.com/2011/04/06/nice_try_sony/

If Sony AF lenses are key items to the success of FX3 owners as filmmakers, why is it that none of the current selections of films at Cannes use Sony lenses?
Cannes-2021-Lens-Manufacturers-Chart.002.jpeg
Cannes 2021 Lens Manufacturers
Cannes-2021-Lens-Manufacturers-Chart.002.jpeg (92.23 KiB) Viewed 2962 times

Cannes-2021-Lenses-Chart.001.jpeg
Cannes 2021: Lenses Chart
Cannes-2021-Lenses-Chart.001.jpeg (172.66 KiB) Viewed 2962 times

Shhh! ...Can you hear it? (crickets)... That's the sound of none of the Cannes filmmakers giving a damn about auto focus lenses.

Did Cannes snub Sony lenses?
Last edited by dondidnod on Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

John Brawley

PostSat Jul 24, 2021 9:26 pm

dondidnod wrote:Did Cannes snub Sony lenses?

So good….

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

ricardo marty

PostSat Jul 24, 2021 9:36 pm

dondidnod wrote:
59burst wrote: That's the sound of none of the Cannes filmmakers giving a damn about auto focus lenses. Did Cannes snub Sony lenses?

That's not the territory for af lenses They have focus pullers an unions to contend with. AF can be used in other areas of the content production industry. Indies, docmentals, short films...And this doesn't imply that these are not profesional usage nor less quality. I'm sure that as the technology improves af will find its way in the high end film world..

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

Dune00z

PostSat Jul 24, 2021 9:46 pm

Honestly I could not care less what somebody else thinks of the equipment I use to create products, neither do my clients. I don't make films for Cannes and I'm not about to start. I also think it's silly to assume somebody's ability to perform as a DP creating images good enough to get a job will be hampered by previously using AF lenses. Sounds like a made up story, especially since a position exists in the camera department specifically regarding focus pulling.

What I can say is it's nice having reliable af and I can decide when to use it or not. It's more important I get the shot in focus than impressing an imaginary director or producer that would judge an imaginary filmmaker based on the gear they used on a past project.

Good luck.

JonPais

PostSun Jul 25, 2021 1:36 pm

Dune00z wrote:Honestly I could not care less what somebody else thinks of the equipment I use to create products, neither do my clients. I don't make films for Cannes and I'm not about to start. I also think it's silly to assume somebody's ability to perform as a DP creating images good enough to get a job will be hampered by previously using AF lenses. Sounds like a made up story, especially since a position exists in the camera department specifically regarding focus pulling.

What I can say is it's nice having reliable af and I can decide when to use it or not. It's more important I get the shot in focus than impressing an imaginary director or producer that would judge an imaginary filmmaker based on the gear they used on a past project.

Good luck.
Pay them no mind.

JonPais

PostSun Jul 25, 2021 1:54 pm

dondidnod wrote:
59burst wrote:Adding continuous AF and AWB to the PCC 6K as menu options would take the 6K to another level.

If Blackmagic were to follow the ladder to success like Sony did, they would buy a company that makes AF lenses for their technology (Minolta), change to a new mount when the patent protection runs out, and makes several camera products that cover a wide range of markets. Some of those products are not successful, but since they obtain a much higher profit per customer due to brand loyalty and marketing, losses are tolerated. After all, "It's a Sony!" That requires money, lots of it.

AF seems to be the main reason FX3 owners cite for selecting it over Blackmagic cameras. To leverage the FX3's AF abilities, they invest heavily in Sony AF lenses, making it inconvenient to go with another brand for future camera upgrades. The short focus throws, lack of linearity and inconsistent stops make using a follow focus solution difficult on focus by wire AF lenses. An investment in good lenses should last you a lifetime, and be usable on most of your future cameras.

spooky-funk said:
"I think you’re expecting too much from the autofocus in the Sony. I own both an a7s3 and a bmpcc6k and there is no substitute for pulling focus manually. Don’t get me wrong, it’s much improved over the previous gen AF but it still misses the mark sometimes."

A7SIII or BMPCC 6k Pro?

https://www.reddit.com/r/videography/co ... cc_6k_pro/

When applying for a job as a DP, or is it worth putting on your resume that you are used to using Sony AF lenses in a Sony ecosystem? What will a respectable feature film Director think of your abilities if you do?

Sony also makes non-AF CineAlta lenses for the PL mount cameras. I've heard that the image quality is comparable to more expensive lenses. Matt Duclos tried to take apart one in a review, and it fell apart due to the plastic housings with glued in screws that cannot be removed. He speculated that when Sony services them for warranty repairs, they just send the customer a new one.

If Sony AF lenses are key items to the success of FX3 owners as filmmakers, why is it that none of the current selections of films at Cannes use Sony lenses?
Cannes-2021-Lens-Manufacturers-Chart.002.jpeg

Cannes-2021-Lenses-Chart.001.jpeg

Shhh! ...Can you hear it? (crickets)... That's the sound of none of the Cannes filmmakers giving a damn about auto focus lenses.

Did Cannes snub Sony lenses?
I hope it didn't take you too long to write all that and having to go back a whole decade to find Duclos' tale. So weird the lengths to which some people will go to denigrate the tools others use to earn a living. Childish.

dondidnod

PostSun Jul 25, 2021 9:32 pm

ricardo marty wrote:AF can be used in other areas of the content production industry. Indies, docmentals, short films...

I guess you're right when it comes to documentaries. Docs have very high shooting ratios (over 10x raw footage to the deliverable), and face difficulties getting funding for camera and lens rentals. Seven of this year's Sundance docs used an AF capable Canon C300, one used a Sony A7S and one used a Sony A7S III.

The income of most independent documentary filmmakers on average is less than $75,000 USD a year, so their equipment choices tend to be limited. In some cases it takes over 5 years to gather footage, and they are forced to use owned cameras.

None of the Sundance docs used Sony lenses though. Since half the image is from the lens, wouldn't you want to go with a known winner if you were to make a substantial investment in a a locked-in lens mount?

The Cameras Behind Sundance 2021’s Documentaries: Canon, Sony, and RED

https://ymcinema.com/2021/02/02/the-cam ... y-and-red/

Except for one Canon EF-S 18-135mm (a panned low-budget gonzo film, Mother Schmuckers), none of the lenses for Sundance 2021 narrative films were AF or Sony.
Sundance-Lenses-chart-2021.003.jpeg
Sundance 2021 - Lenses Chart
Sundance-Lenses-chart-2021.003.jpeg (154.68 KiB) Viewed 2801 times

The Lenses Behind Sundance 2021: Superspeeds, Panchros and Canon’s Zooms

https://ymcinema.com/2021/02/01/the-len ... ons-zooms/

Dune00z

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 4:29 am

dondidnod wrote:
ricardo marty wrote:AF can be used in other areas of the content production industry. Indies, docmentals, short films...

I guess you're right when it comes to documentaries. Docs have very high shooting ratios (over 10x raw footage to the deliverable), and face difficulties getting funding for camera and lens rentals. Seven of this year's Sundance docs used an AF capable Canon C300, one used a Sony A7S and one used a Sony A7S III.

The income of most independent documentary filmmakers on average is less than $75,000 USD a year, so their equipment choices tend to be limited. In some cases it takes over 5 years to gather footage, and they are forced to use owned cameras.

None of the Sundance docs used Sony lenses though. Since half the image is from the lens, wouldn't you want to go with a known winner if you were to make a substantial investment in a a locked-in lens mount?

The Cameras Behind Sundance 2021’s Documentaries: Canon, Sony, and RED

https://ymcinema.com/2021/02/02/the-cam ... y-and-red/

Except for one Canon EF-S 18-135mm (a panned low-budget gonzo film, Mother Schmuckers), none of the lenses for Sundance 2021 narrative films were AF or Sony.
Sundance-Lenses-chart-2021.003.jpeg

The Lenses Behind Sundance 2021: Superspeeds, Panchros and Canon’s Zooms

https://ymcinema.com/2021/02/01/the-len ... ons-zooms/

What makes you think Cannes or Sundance gear data is any indicator of anything except what film makers used to make products for Cannes/Sundance in a given year? This data doesn't mean anything but that and can only mean that. I see zero Nikon or Panasonic or Sigma lenses in this list yet they are used for production all the time. The 18-35 f1.8, photo EF/Nikon F version, is in the bag of every dp I know personally because it's useful regardless of the fact is a photo lens.

I don't know what your deal is but get a grip dude.

Return to Cinematography