Pixel or artifact issues?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

pipcafe

Pixel or artifact issues?

PostSun Oct 06, 2013 11:52 pm

Just got the pocket camera as a b cam. I have not had a lot of time to test it but I did notice some artifact issues. Not sure if I have a dead pixel or not.

Password: justatest

Day 1: Appeared to have dead pixel. A white dot is present in all clips.
Day 2: I didn't notice anything wrong
Day 3: Giant dot in image. I realized tiny shavings from my EF to M 4/3 adapter may be getting stuck on the glass protecting the sensor. After I removed the lens and carefully blew into the camera, blowing the shaving away, the image appears correct and I don't think there are any issues.

That leaves me with a few questions. Do you think using compressed air, like for cleaning keyboards, will damage the sensor? I don't want to "blow" into the camera as I'm afraid of causing issues due to unnecessary moisture.

If there is a dead pixel, would it's location be different in the clip if different lenses are used? There were a variety of lenses used in my initial tests and at varying levels of ISO 200-800.

Thanks!

adamroberts

Re: Pixel or artifact issues?

PostMon Oct 07, 2013 12:14 am

Best to use a rocket blow (rubber bulb blower) rather than compressed air. Arctic butterfly sensor cleaning kit is also a good option.

The dead pixels in the camera a remapped by the software when the camera boots up. So if you do see an issue it best to just reboot the camera.

Dead pixels don't move when you change lenses as they are actual pixels so would remain in the same place in all footage.

Tom

Re: Pixel or artifact issues?

PostMon Oct 07, 2013 12:20 am

There is a layer of glass in front of the sensor unit and then again on top of the sensor itself. You are not blowing directly onto the sensor and the air should only really be entering the lens mount of the camera, not any further into the camera body itself.

Its best to use a non aerosol based blower for things such as these though. If a giotto rocket cannot shift it, try getting a proper cleaning kit.
Tom Majerski
Colourist at Tracks and Layers
http://www.Tracksandlayers.com
Motion Graphics - Colour Grading - VFX

Return to Cinematography