Video Assist audio problem

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

jallen0

PostSat Feb 27, 2021 8:35 pm

I am wondering if anyone else has experience an hour long video recording on the Video Assist 7" 12G HDR monitor drifting out of sync by 2-3 frames by the end of the program. I am just beginning to troubleshoot this issue and there are numerous places where the problem could be occurring from so I thought I would check here first.

Setup:
Sony A7sIII camera with a Deity S-Mic 2S attached to it. Frame rate is 30fps
Video Assist monitor attached via HDMI - Side note, frame rate recorded at 59.95
Resolve Studio version 17.0

If anyone had any thoughts that would be welcomed. Thanks.
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
LG UF 5k, 27" Tbolt Display, 55" LG C8
Resolve Edit Keyboard, Mini Panel, US 4K Mini
Resolve Studio Ver. 17.4.3
Desktop Video 12.1

jallen0

Re: Video Assist audio problem

PostSat Feb 27, 2021 10:09 pm

Update: I have been rendering the rest of the all-day event and it appears that it was only that one clip where the audio drifted. I have zero ideas as to why one of them would drift and not any of the others.
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
Desktop Video 12.1

rick.lang

PostSun Feb 28, 2021 12:25 am

With a recording I did recently, the audio and video recorded on the BMVA12G7 was always slightly delayed compared to the audio and video from the camera recorded video. I kept the audio and video linked for each device and brought them into proper alignment on the timeline.
Rick Lang

jallen0

PostSun Feb 28, 2021 12:45 am

Thanks Rick. In this case I did not record the video from the camera, just the VA Monitor. Mostly because the Sony A7sIII overheats when recording while being plugged into the USB port. Luckily this project was more a test of the system vs a real world client but I just got done telling my partner that there is a reason why you always want to have two copies of your data file...just to fix things like this.

I am curious however as to why it only happened on one file and not the others.
Desktop Video 12.1

rick.lang

PostSun Feb 28, 2021 1:06 am

Do you think the different frame rates between the camera and the Video Assist are a concern?
Rick Lang

jallen0

PostSun Feb 28, 2021 1:16 am

I did initially but the imported videos are normal looking and 10 out of 12 of them had no issues. Also, on the forum boards, there was a thread about how the VA monitor records in 59.98 regardless of the camera settings at times.
Desktop Video 12.1

CptCurk

PostFri Mar 05, 2021 10:54 am

Hey

I got a synch problem using XLR input and HDMI over my X-T3. It's not synch, because I guess the HDMI is slow in my X-T3. I can clearly see a delay between my movement and the image in the VA. May be that's the cause of the problem.

I have an audio problem also :

no need to understand what I'm saying, just look at the levels. (the K6+ME66 is not made to be used as a handmic, that's the only important info I'm saying)

Do you have the same level issue ?
Because They comunique a lot about the fact that noise level is really low. But if recorging level is 30dB lower than it should be... You completly loose the benefic low noise level x)

best regards ! Hope I helped with your problem !
Macbook Pro M1 MAX 32CoreGPU and 64Gb of ram.
Davinci 18.1.3

Shooting Fujifilm X-T3 & Blackmagic Video Assist 7" HDR with Miller Tripod.

rick.lang

PostFri Mar 05, 2021 11:37 am

When recording on the BMVA12G7 with HDMI fed from the BMPCC4K, there’s a typical 2 or 3 frame delay; all the frames are there as the total duration is the same as recording on the BMPCC4K.
Rick Lang

jallen0

PostFri Mar 05, 2021 12:26 pm

I can say that between the Sony A7sIII and 12G VA monitor over HDMI there was zero delay. Everything matched up great. I did encounter the following issues over a day of filming and using the Video Assist as my recording monitor

1) One hour long clip had an audio drift of 2-3 frames with it getting longer as the recording went on. Other hour long sets did not have this issue

2) 2 shorter clips for some reason error out when rendering for output. This clips play fine in Resolve, they just error out during rendering.

3)I did experience a delay when using the USB out from the Video Assist into the computer. Again, there was zero delay coming into the monitor but as soon as I hooked the USB out into the computer I experienced 3-5 frame delay on the incoming video. When plugging the camera directly into the computer there was no delay. Conclusion: The USB out of the Video Assist introduces delay.

4) I did not experience any audio sound level issues, everything seems fine on playback.
Desktop Video 12.1

CptCurk

PostWed Mar 10, 2021 9:32 am

Hey !

Okay great to know that all... I was think that was my X-T3 problem... That's quite sad actually x)
So for my other problem, the mic section was not good at all in the version 3.2.x, I updated to the 3.3 and it solve my issue. Just to let you know, I bought it with the 3.2 version on it ! So I never had audio working, now it is... Just software issue !

Hope the synching problem will be solve. Mine is clearly coming from my latency introduced by the X-T3 over the HDMI.

best regards !
Davinci 18.1.3

Andrew HATFIELD

PostWed Mar 10, 2021 12:12 pm

CptCurk wrote:Hope the synching problem will be solve. Mine is clearly coming from my latency introduced by the X-T3 over the HDMI.

I don't think they can solve the issue. I sold my 7" VA because of this problem. As far as I can see the VA is the only monitor recorder that doesn't have the ability to delay the video to allow syncing in the unit.

rick.lang

PostWed Mar 10, 2021 8:07 pm

But I find the delay is not a fixed amount. An option might be to delay a given amount, but that still might not be perfect. Unless I’m misunderstanding the problem. In tests I’ve done the video and audio are both delayed but easily synced by waveform (or timecode in post). Maybe VA Update 3.4 will address so I’ll need to retest.
Rick Lang

CptCurk

PostTue Mar 16, 2021 3:31 pm

Andrew HATFIELD wrote:I don't think they can solve the issue. I sold my 7" VA because of this problem. As far as I can see the VA is the only monitor recorder that doesn't have the ability to delay the video to allow syncing in the unit.

I agree that is a real problem in a professionnal recorder. As for me, the ability to do a pre-roll of 5 sec or even 3 sec. It's just logical to have a external recorder for those kind of function (with the "good" monitor of course)

For my latency, in photo mode, I finded that there is no latency ^^' but it's sending a bad quality through HDMI... Waiting for a firmware !
Davinci 18.1.3

Andrew HATFIELD

PostWed Mar 17, 2021 2:57 pm

I agree it's an easy fix in post but it's just something else to do, which shouldn't be necessary.

The Convergent Design and Atomos recorders all offer the facility to sync in the unit and even the ancient Video devices PIX-E5 can do it.

I would like to get another VA but until they sort this out I will stick with the Ninja V.

CptCurk

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 9:19 am

Okay then no solutions for the moment.
I hope BM peoples did look into that topic for the next firmware. I also got that sound sync problem actually, and I can't use professionnaly my BM VA 7" 12G HDR and it's audio-port. The time to resync in post is just too long.

Best wishes folks! :D
Davinci 18.1.3

rick.lang

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 2:39 pm

CptCurk, if you’re on the latest version of DaVinci Resolve 17, it’s a couple of mouse clicks to sync with either Timecode or waveform. You can sync on the Media Page or the Edit page Timeline. So when you have a post option, it’s a quick correction. If you are using your BMVA12G7 in live broadcast mode, then there are possible delay issues.
Last edited by rick.lang on Wed May 12, 2021 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Lang

CptCurk

PostWed May 12, 2021 6:48 am

Little side by side. To show that what you're suggesting Rick, it's not possible. Synching somthing that's burn into the footage is not possible.
AND
If I want to use VA as proxy, there is a shift of 4 frames (take a look at the fifth line from bottom = Time code of the first frame)

VA vs X-T3.JPG
BM VA 7" 12G HDR versus Fuji X-T3 (externally FHD / internally UHD = same footage)
VA vs X-T3.JPG (433 KiB) Viewed 10248 times

There's also a second probleme which is not only this audio problem but a color issue :

VA-XT3.jpg
BM VA 7" 12G HDR comparaison Fuji X-T3
VA-XT3.jpg (98.47 KiB) Viewed 10247 times

Basicly, those issue (no manual delay + no pre-roll + color issue) make this "professionnal product" not usefull with a small gear and lightweigh stuff like Mirrorless camera :!: They should warn us.

SDI is just right and working, I had no issue with it.

Still hope a BM dev will pass by this post !
Best regards to all,

Florent "Cpt" CURK (for my full name !) 8-)
Davinci 18.1.3

rick.lang

PostWed May 12, 2021 6:10 pm

Never seen that ‘colour’ issue with what appears to be a different gamma on part of the screen. I’d call that a faulty video assist as I can’t think of how you would achieve that if you tried.

Back to the audio, I don’t understand why you simply don’t sync the video assist track with waveform in post if you have scratch or other good audio on your camera’s recording. Sorry if I’m a bit thick at the moment.
Rick Lang

CptCurk

PostTue May 18, 2021 2:38 pm

hey,

Synch the audio waveform is working only if I want to use my camera inbody H265 video.
But my purpose is to use the BMVA sound + image. And I don't sync anything there. I can just readjust manually each shot one by one on my timeline.

And actually, I'd like to use both sound and image, just because it's 4:2:2 10bit and there is 2 XLR ! ^^' so sync in post, not the solution
Davinci 18.1.3

rick.lang

PostTue May 18, 2021 5:14 pm

CptCurk wrote:…I can just readjust manually each shot one by one on my timeline…

If you have a scratch track with the video, I’ve used the manual syncing in post many times before it was supported recently to do this automatically to Timecode or Waveform. Agree sometimes the auto-sync to waveform doesn’t work and in that case it’s pretty quick and easy to manually eyeball the scratch and good track’s waveforms. Not good if you have a thousand clips but fine once in awhile. I always have scratch or other audio on camera as well as audio captured into the MixPre-6 II.

On one clip in a very important client shoot, there was a temporary glitch on the off-camera audio fed from a soundboard and I manually matched the waveform from my shotgun track on camera and masked the error. Camera audio isn’t ideal, but it saved that live shot which couldn’t be reshot.
Rick Lang

CptCurk

PostWed May 19, 2021 5:06 pm

May be I just explain badly the issue. There is the picture

TimecodeSync_Son&ImageLatency2.JPG
TimecodeSync_Son&ImageLatency2.JPG (84.34 KiB) Viewed 10105 times

• on top you see littles lines = 1 frames
  • first marker = sound of my external mic
  • second marker = the sound and frame clap in the X-T3 record
  • last marker = the clap on the frame of the VA
  • orange is my in-body recording (X-T3)
  • blue is my Video Assist recording

Btw, the clap of the X-T3 on the waveform is sync with the hand clap on the X-T3 inbody record.

Quite hard to understand. But there it is, if I'm using the X-T3 video and external VA sound, I can just sync with the waveform. But If i'm using the VA video and external sound, I have to do it manually.

I tried on Davinci to sync base on the waveform, but it's not working, it's doing the same than timecode...

Could be better to sync in the VA ! ^^'
Davinci 18.1.3

rick.lang

PostWed May 19, 2021 6:00 pm

Very good picture. Does the orange Audio track 1 from the camera align within a frame of the visual of the clapper closing? If not you can manually shift any or all Audio tracks to align with the visual track.

Whichever track aligns with the video would be your starting track and then you can manually move the other Audio tracks to align with the starting track in the absence of timecode on all these Audio tracks. When automatic sync by waveform doesn’t work, I just use the manual workaround.
Rick Lang

CptCurk

PostMon Oct 11, 2021 9:31 am

Hello @rick.lang and sorry for this long time not answering.

Yes, orange (inside camera mic) is align with the closing clap. I can, and I do that. But it's time consuming... I won't make my client pay one more editing day for a blackmagic problem. I prefere record the sound externally and using the sync option. Faster, but then I bought my VA 12G 7" for nothing ^^'

The solution would just be Blackmagic guy answering there. I don't know where to send a ticket for firmware update. But Would love to get some pre-rec and this sound delay options in the VA.

That's somehow a basic of professionnal video recording.
Davinci 18.1.3

CptCurk

PostThu Nov 04, 2021 3:56 pm

Little Up to know if someone's working on those isues : audio delay + pre-rec + color issue ?

as I said last time : that's somehow a basic of professionnal video recorder, and only software code to add. :)
Davinci 18.1.3

pierrebruynooghe

PostThu Nov 04, 2021 6:08 pm

An identical problem with my VA 7 12G bought two days ago. I'm using it to capture only the video from my D500 Nikon and I record audio directly on the VA with a Sennheiser MKE600 plugged on mini-xlr input. But, video & audio aren't synchronised on the VA. The audio track have some delay... Big problem, because, if the Nikon pictures are captured on VA via HDMI, the audio not... :|

CptCurk

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 8:14 am

pierrebruynooghe wrote:Big problem, because, if the Nikon pictures are captured on VA via HDMI, the audio not... :|

Hello,

it's not really a probleme, if Blackmagic work on it. They manage to add delay in the Atem mini switcher, which solve the issue.
This screen is really close to be "the best" of the market. But just need some firmware improuvment, all listed in this topic : Delay, Pre-rec mode, and may be some H264 basic record (low weight files).

I got some color shifting also, I think due to the REC 601 / REC 709 matrice coef or caracteristic of transfer.

Anyway, waiting since 4 moths for an update. Using this only as monitor... But quite heavy monitor and with latency, not efficient monitor ! haha

Staying at the same point. Sorry for that late answer !
Davinci 18.1.3

rick.lang

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 3:00 pm

Always room for improvement in terms of adding functionality to the BMVA12G7 but in the meantime, I use the record functionality primarily as insurance in case of something happening to the in-camera recording. So normally it’s a throw away if the camera recording looks good in post.

I record 32bit audio on the MixPre-6 II but also record audio in-camera for the same reason (plus it can be useful to have on the timeline even if not used for the deliverables).

So the BMVA12G7 isn’t the best sole solution for video and audio, but when used with other gear it’s great insurance. I’m sure if it’s ever upgraded or receives further firmware updates, new functionality will be provided.
Rick Lang

CptCurk

PostTue May 24, 2022 9:52 am

Hey Rick !

Comming back here, because they did some new firmware. Unfortunatly, there's still no Delay possible for the sound. I can't use it as a recorder.

Now I learn a lot about CST (color space transform). I'm using blackmagic intermediate and not ACES, because of the Fuji F-log and it's so easy to use now in resolve. So I'm doing handmade color correction and that little shift is not a problem anymore for a solo filmmaker like me. But it's still BIG file size compare to the good H265 of fuji. So I don't use it ^^' only as backup.

But having just a monitor that big, I'm making some muscle holding it all day long. Having muscle and sound sync to the frame could still be amazing...

I bought and Atem Extrem ISO for live event, and there is the delay in frame ! I'm always adding 3 frames and sound and images are sync perfectly !! I really hope they'll add that into the VA.

And I saw a post on FB of a guy asking to record ONLY the sound as an option. I think it could be great to add that also ! Like that you get good pre-amp and light file size !!! :D

Best regards, and let pray a BM guy will pass by this post and do something about this issue. :D
Davinci 18.1.3

rick.lang

PostTue May 24, 2022 1:21 pm

Good to know you have a solution to sync sound and video with a delay. I did a theatrical recording earlier this month with the UM46K Lossless CinemaDNG and the MixPre-6 II 32-bit ISO audio with the BMVA12G7 ProRes providing backup. Synced camera and recorder via dual Tentacles. At one point perhaps 90 minutes into the recording, a character drops a book flat on the floor. I was very pleased to see my audio and video frames matched after syncing Timecode in Resolve 17.4 without further adjustments. A single 2.5 hour take.
Rick Lang

almacrae

PostSat Jun 04, 2022 10:14 am

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one having to deal with this problem. I bought the BMD VA 12G based on a lot of good press, reviews, etc. I have an ATEM Mini Extreme ISO, which I've been happy with. Used the VA to shoot a client project a couple of months ago and this ugly sync issue raised it's head. Using a Nikon Z6 with the video firmware upgrade enabling shooting in BMD Raw & ProRes Raw. Two mics into the VA via the XLR ports, one wireless (just to add more to the mix). Had several of the B-roll clips out of sync and had to spend a ton of time in post to get it all sorted. Like a previous poster, I can't charge my client for a days+ worth of post to correct something that shouldn't be an issue in the first place.

My real issue is that I reached out to BMD and was given an RMA to send the unit in. I sent it Priority Mail from the east coast to the west coast on Friday and BMD had it in California at 11am the following Monday. As an aside, I have to say that was pretty impressive service for the USPS. Yesterday morning, I sent an email to BMD inquiring about the status of my unit and received this reply: "Hello, We have received it but it has yet to go into the lab. Regards," Rep's name intentionally omitted. So, the VA has been sitting on a shelf at BMD for what will be two weeks on Monday and hasn't even been looked at yet. Granted, last weekend was Memorial Day but, that adds only one day to the mix. Needless to say, I'm pretty disappointed.

I felt I did my due diligence in reading about the VA 12G along with a couple of competitive brands before I made my purchase. I'm a small cheese compared to most of you in here, being primarily a photographer with ~50 years experience, now forging forward to do some video work for clients who have asked me to do it. I don't buy cheap stuff because I believe in the notion that if you buy cheap, you wind up buying again. As impressive as the build quality of the VA is from the outside, there are clearly issues on the inside that need to be addressed. I was impressed when BMD upgraded the firmware for the ATEM mini series to include an adjustable delay and, like many in here, I'm hoping that the same will happen, soon, with an upgrade to the VA. I also hope that Grant Petty recognizes that making world class equipment means not only high quality, functional gear but, also first class prompt customer service and repairs when required.

Finally, like many of you have alluded to, it's disappointing that BMD apparently doesn't have anyone even looking at this forum. Looks like they've just provided a 'room' for complainers, legit or otherwise, to vent in, not offering up any type of support to go along with it. Certainly a string like this one should have attracted someone's attention.

CptCurk

PostTue Jun 07, 2022 9:00 am

almacrae wrote:Finally, like many of you have alluded to, it's disappointing that BMD apparently doesn't have anyone even looking at this forum. Looks like they've just provided a 'room' for complainers, legit or otherwise, to vent in, not offering up any type of support to go along with it. Certainly a string like this one should have attracted someone's attention.

I felt quite alone with that issue. Basicly not a lot of people answered. I got some friends getting the Ninja V, and it looks amazing. I would love seeing BM doing improvement like that SDI / XLR battery grip they developp or just the Pre-Rec mode !

In fact everything is already inside this amazing VA device. Would love getting some good firmware getting that up to date and not only getting new RAW devices.

PS : I wanted to buy new BM equipement, but that made me realized that it could be a professionnal mistake, if they don't listen clients.
Davinci 18.1.3

codedeltajames

PostTue Jun 07, 2022 12:27 pm

Am I correct in saying that the issue is as follows:

When :-
- using a camera connected via HDMI
- *and* using microphones connected directly to the Video Assist

You are seeing that the audio and video are no longer in sync?

And furthermore, that you have bought this device with the specific intention of not needing to do any post work to resync the signals?

CptCurk

PostTue Jun 07, 2022 12:38 pm

Hello,

that's exactly that. espacially that DSLR usually don't have XLR, and camera with SDI usually have, so that could be good ! :)

resync in post is a pain in the ass :)
Davinci 18.1.3

St.John

PostMon Jun 20, 2022 12:24 pm

I'm getting exactly the same problem.
I've had the video assist for nearly three years but have, until recently, recorded sound separately. I have been trying to record from condenser mics to the mini xlr ports.
I am using a Panasonic G9 via HDMI into the Video Assist and a Line Audio CM4 via XLR. The audio is out of synch by several frames.
Do different cameras handle HDMI differently? Is it possible that the G9 is the problem? Given that others are getting the same issue I'm guessing it's the video assist?
Thanks,

almacrae

PostMon Jun 20, 2022 4:55 pm

CtpKurk you're right on the money when you wrote "PS : I wanted to buy new BM equipement, but that made me realized that it could be a professionnal mistake, if they don't listen clients." Today marks 4 weeks that the unit is away and I'm pretty soured. I'm shopping right now for a new unit to replace this one. Needless to say it won't be a BM device.

rick.lang

PostTue Jun 21, 2022 1:05 am

Have they given a further status update after that terse “we have it” initial status? It’s possible the issue has been identified but that a required part was not in their inventory ergo parts shipping delays over which they might not have much control. Just speculation on my part to explain their delay but you should have an updated status.
Rick Lang

CptCurk

PostTue Jun 21, 2022 6:40 am

rick.lang wrote:Have they given a further status update after that terse “we have it” initial status? It’s possible the issue has been identified but that a required part was not in their inventory ergo parts shipping delays over which they might not have much control. Just speculation on my part to explain their delay but you should have an updated status.

May be what you're saying there could happend. But when I had a firmware issue with my Video Assist (the problem was that the sound of mic input was powered as line input) : I send back my unit to BM, it took more than a month to check it and tell me : "there is no problem on it".

some times later, an update arrive, I did it and it solved my issue.

Basicly, that true story is not in favour of BM for me here and right now. They even lied to me, direclty in my face. That's why I would love to get a good client service, even if the products cost like 10% more for each of the cameras / mixers... But that is in need : Listenning the client ! :)
Davinci 18.1.3

rick.lang

PostTue Jun 21, 2022 3:18 pm

Thanks for your patience, hope this is resolved soon!
Rick Lang

CptCurk

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 6:01 am

rick.lang wrote:Thanks for your patience, hope this is resolved soon!

to be solve, they actually could work on the issue. New firmware (which I like for the Fuji family) but not for a lot of peoples issues :

What's new in Blackmagic Video Assist 3.7

The following models have new features.

Blackmagic Video Assist 5" 12G HDR
Blackmagic Video Assist 7" 12G HDR
Adds Blackmagic RAW recording from Fujifilm X-H2s.
Adds adjustable white balance and accuracy for Panasonic GH5S, BGH1
Improved white balance accuracy for Panasonic S1H, S1, S5, BS1H

Basicly, peoples can get RAW now, but audio still wont be sync :p
Davinci 18.1.3

weaponunder

PostTue Jul 25, 2023 11:19 pm

Hello!

I just purchased a BMVA12G5 for my LUMIXS5iiX, to shoot BRAW.

Has there been any updates regarding a fix to the Audio sync/delay issues?

I'm consider upgrading to the BMVA12G7 that has XLR inputs and recording the Video & Audio through the VA with an external mic.

Will upgrading to the unit with built in XLR audio inputs, resolve the audio / video sync issue?

rick.lang

PostFri Jul 28, 2023 4:29 pm

weaponunder wrote:Hello!

I just purchased a BMVA12G5 for my LUMIXS5iiX, to shoot BRAW.

Has there been any updates regarding a fix to the Audio sync/delay issues?

I don’t recall any firmware updates on the camera or the BMVA12G7 that specifically address the delay issue I did document quite awhile ago. Always possible I didn’t notice that though.

I'm consider upgrading to the BMVA12G7 that has XLR inputs and recording the Video & Audio through the VA with an external mic.

The scopes on the BMVA12G7 are superb showing a lot of detail so you’ll appreciate the upgrade IMHO.

Will upgrading to the unit with built in XLR audio inputs, resolve the audio / video sync issue?

I’m busy for a few days, but if you can wait, I’ll run a test next week to look into any improvements in the delay.

I normally record XLR audio to the MixPre-6 II which is jam synced to the cameras’ Timecode and the video/audio results are spot on. For the last two music video sessions, I did record the Sennheiser 416MKH directly to the BMD URSA Mini 4.6K; it would have been easy for me to record audio to the BMVA12G7 instead to see what’s happening. I can setup the gear again incorporating the audio recording to the BMVA12G7 and see if it seems good now.

The BMVA12G7 takes its Timecode from the UM4.6K SDI feed so AFAIK I can’t additionally jam sync the audio recorded directly to the BMVA12G7 via the monitor’s XLR audio input.
Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostFri Aug 04, 2023 11:00 pm

Finally got to do this test.

Setup
Shot with UM4.6K camera A connected to the BMVA12G7 ‘camera B’ via SDI for both clips. I recorded the audio for one clip with my Sennheiser 416 MKH connected via XLR to the UM4.6K camera feed and the other clip had the Sennheiser connected via mini-XLR directly to the BMVA12G7. Timecode was supplied to the UM4.6K via Tentacle Sync and that’s passed through to the BMVA12G7.

In DaVinci Resolve I loaded both videos and ensured my A and B videos were in sync by selecting Edit / Show Timecode Overlays. It’s important to use this tool for multiple ‘cameras’ as it quickly shows if there are any video and audio frame count differences on your Timeline.

The subject for both clips was an edited music video promo (Gordon Lightfoot Tribute) playing back on my Mac Pro with the 32” XDR display. This was a good choice as both clips show the abrupt transition from the end of one song to the beginning of the next song. Effectively this is like having the clapper board close but it’s even more precise.

With the videos aligned (while linked to their respective audio) things were decent but not perfect. I looked at the highest display resolution of the audio and found differences in the audio waveforms from the different video tracks.

With the video and audio no longer linked, I used Trim to shift audio on the UM4.6K audio track. On the first clip of Camera A, the UM4.6K audio represented the Sennheiser mic and on the second clip of Camera A, the UM4.6K audio represented the camera mics with the Camera B audio provided by the Sennheiser mic directly feeding the BMVA12G7.

For the first take: Camera A Trim / Nudge audio one FRAME left.
This might have been less than a SUBFRAME too far. Since audio is recorded at 48,000 Hz, it’s inevitable that there are tiny variations when different cameras or external recorders are compared.

For the second take: Camera A Trim / Slip Audio one SUBFRAME Reverse.
This was actually a tiny bit more than I needed but I don’t know how to Slip Audio less than a SUBFRAME.

Takeaways:
Using the external microphone plugged into the BMVA12G7 did produce a more accurate result and best if you are handing off a ProRes video to a client (but using the SDI feed from the UM4.6K was good).

In Resolve if your playback sounds like you’re recording in an auditorium, you can correct it easily in post via the Trim / Slip Audio or Nudge menu items.

What did I learn?
I had previously thought audio in the BMVA12G7 was about two frames off, but I was wrong.

It’s very close after you match the video Timecode with the respective audio Link selected so the audio moves with video.

Use the Resolve / Edit / Show Timecode Overlays to quickly show if video clips on the Timeline are not the same Timecode.

https://vimeo.com/851785873/55a6d1fabd

Edit
Apologies if this link to the promo isn’t working for you as this video content is still ‘unlisted’ on Vimeo, you may need to paste the URL into your web browser or Vimeo app. I’ve asked the client to release the video to the public, but awaiting approval of the band producer.
Rick Lang

CptCurk

PostTue Oct 24, 2023 1:50 pm

Well...

I upload and launched the simplest test :
fuji X-T3 video/sound feed through HDMI to the video assist 7" 12G HDR : up to date with firmware 3.13, mic fixed on the camera, plugged to the same VA.

Here's what I got :

I hope one day they'll add this little option. That's a while I'm not using the product. And I wont buy blackmagic again before they listen to their users on their own forum.

So if you're using SDI, I guess you won't have any issue. But over HDMI, it's not working, october 24 2023.
Davinci 18.1.3

rick.lang

PostTue Oct 24, 2023 2:57 pm

Here’s a link to a private video I made to summarize delays using SDI:

https://vimeo.com/851785873/55a6d1fabd

Do not download or share this video beyond the forum.

As you can see from the subtitles, I simply adjust the audio in DaVinci Resolve and continue on without worrying about it.
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography