Firmware Update Gen 5 for Ursa Mini Pro G2

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Bastien

Firmware Update Gen 5 for Ursa Mini Pro G2

PostSat Mar 13, 2021 10:27 am

Hi,

When will the Ursa Mini Pro G2 receive the new Film Generation 5 firmware update ?
We are all waiting for it but there is no announcement about it…

We all have spent thousands for this ’still recent’ camera but we don’t get any support of any kind, especially concerning firmware update !

Please consider our request,
Take care
Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 • DZOFilm Pictor Zooms • Easyrig Vario 5 Stabil G2
Instagram : https://www.instagram.com/bastienchill.dp/

Derfla

Re: Firmware Update Gen 5 for Ursa Mini Pro G2

PostSat Mar 13, 2021 7:56 pm

I am a bit surprised by this as well. $6000 is a lot of money regardless if the G2 falls under "good value for the money". Yes compared to other cameras, it is less expensive, but $6k is $6k!

On the one hand I see it as no updates can mean that BMD got it right the first time. But there is always room for improvement. Technology doesn't stop evolving, so the G2 needs to keep up.

timbutt2

PostSat Mar 13, 2021 9:04 pm

For the most part the only Firmware updates I've asked for the UMPG2 was some things that came to the Pockets back in 2019, which was custom frame guides. Then there was the pinch to zoom in to 8X that made it to the Pockets and is now in the 12K.

So if anything that's about it for the G2 other than Color Science Generation 5. I hope beyond anything that Gen 5 comes to it or I will have to not update my Pocket 6K in the event that I need to shoot ProRes with both and need them to match. That's the sole reason I hope Gen 5 is coming to the UMPG2 because we know it's coming to the P6K since Grant said it was. So I hope beyond hope that it happens.

Otherwise, I've gotten great value from my UMPG2. It was worth the money for the upgrade from the original URSA Mini 4.6K. And, I held on to the original UM4.6K for a long time before selling it. Overall great value for all the cameras.

I haven't spent the money on the 12K. But that's because I chose to do lens upgrades and wait out a generation like I did between UM4.6K and UMPG2. It works when you're being fiscally responsible. Plus there are some real body improvements I'd love to see with the next 12K Generation. The sensor alone wasn't enough.

So I'm not angry about the lack of Firmware updates for the G2. A little disappointed because it's like being the last picked for dodgeball teams. I do hope the G2 hasn't been forgotten because it is still a great camera.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Ellory Yu

PostMon Mar 15, 2021 5:07 am

+1. Begging for BMD to add Gen 5 to the UMP G2.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

thomas bruegger

PostMon Mar 15, 2021 6:57 am

+1 for the x-time. pls user frameguides and Pocket style pinch to zoom.
Thomas Bruegger / garage5 GmbH
www.garage5.ch

WahWay

PostMon Mar 15, 2021 7:05 am

I want to know with the Gen 5 update will the camera monitors for all the models affected be recalibrated at the same time? Those with green, red and blue cast may struggle to tell the different,

robert Hart

PostTue Mar 16, 2021 9:27 am

I think that BM's business model should be fairly apparent after all this time that BM has been building and selling cameras.

Like a pair of shoes with complimentary spare insoles, spare laces and a bottle of polish, you buy a finite product supported by a few bug fixes, some small freebie firmware improvements and enjoy no-argument warranty on that product.

If time is passing with no announcement, BM has very likely moved on. BM tried hard and failed to shoehorn 4.6K functionality into the original "Big" Ursa and it betrayed BM. It used two older Xilinx processors to do which in the later Mini form a later single processor could cope with.

There may be sufficient capability in the G2 hardware to cope with the added workload of added touch screen features and Gen 5 colour science. Then again there might be required a clunky workaround with potential for incurable bugs.

It might even require an entire rewrite of the firmware from scratch, as much as would be required to produce a new camera. In that event, I doubt BM will go there. It would make no business sense.

Ellory Yu

PostThu Mar 18, 2021 4:33 am

robert Hart wrote:I think that BM's business model should be fairly apparent after all this time that BM has been building and selling cameras.

Like a pair of shoes with complimentary spare insoles, spare laces and a bottle of polish, you buy a finite product supported by a few bug fixes, some small freebie firmware improvements and enjoy no-argument warranty on that product.

If time is passing with no announcement, BM has very likely moved on. BM tried hard and failed to shoehorn 4.6K functionality into the original "Big" Ursa and it betrayed BM. It used two older Xilinx processors to do which in the later Mini form a later single processor could cope with.

There may be sufficient capability in the G2 hardware to cope with the added workload of added touch screen features and Gen 5 colour science. Then again there might be required a clunky workaround with potential for incurable bugs.

It might even require an entire rewrite of the firmware from scratch, as much as would be required to produce a new camera. In that event, I doubt BM will go there. It would make no business sense.

So with that said, should we just consider the G2 unsupported and obsolete now? Personally I will never buy the URSA 12K and likely stick out with the G2 for a while. If they come out with a box form factor of the P4K mft, that will be entertained. Other than that I will be looking somewhere else with Prores Raw support.
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

MScDre

PostThu Mar 18, 2021 11:26 am

Ellory Yu wrote:
robert Hart wrote:I think that BM's business model should be fairly apparent after all this time that BM has been building and selling cameras.

So with that said, should we just consider the G2 unsupported and obsolete now? Personally I will never buy the URSA 12K and likely stick out with the G2 for a while. If they come out with a box form factor of the P4K mft, that will be entertained. Other than that I will be looking somewhere else with Prores Raw support.

Consider the G2 unsupported???? What about my G1 :o goddamn it there are a few bugs and some missing features to make it match well functionally with my Pocket 4Ks that I have been awaiting for ages :(

Bastien

PostThu Mar 18, 2021 12:03 pm

I don’t get any answer from Blackmagic Support Team about this firmware update...
Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 • DZOFilm Pictor Zooms • Easyrig Vario 5 Stabil G2

timbutt2

PostThu Mar 18, 2021 7:49 pm

Bastien wrote:I don’t get any answer from Blackmagic Support Team about this firmware update...

You won't get a response to this. Usually BMD stays pretty tight lipped.

We know Gen 5 Color Science is coming to the Pocket 6K and Pocket 4K because Grant said it in the P6KPro launch video. That's great! They're working on that right now obviously. That's the next firmware update.

Whether the UMPG2 gets it is up in the air. I would hope that it happens. Especially for being able to match the G2 to the Pockets and 12K a bit easier. But don't hold your breath. If it happens, then it will happen when it does.

Personally I might not upgrade my Pocket 6K to that firmware because I need it to match the G2. Especially when shooting ProRes for simply handing off footage to others that need to just get matching footage. At the same time if the G2 gets it then I will update the P6K. But both cameras are used together, and the G2 is my "A-CAM" and thus the P6K is just there to supplement it as a "B-CAM."

Ellory Yu

PostFri Mar 19, 2021 6:46 am

timbutt2 wrote:
Personally I might not upgrade my Pocket 6K to that firmware because I need it to match the G2. Especially when shooting ProRes for simply handing off footage to others that need to just get matching footage. At the same time if the G2 gets it then I will update the P6K. But both cameras are used together, and the G2 is my "A-CAM" and thus the P6K is just there to supplement it as a "B-CAM."

I’m in the thinking too. So I am hoping that the p6k and G2 gets the Gen5 firmware update.

Bastien

PostFri Mar 19, 2021 9:54 am

Maybe if a lot of people send email to request this firmware update, Blackmagic will consider this a bit more. This is a shame to take away this young camera from the update list. It's a very capable camera (sensor and electronics) that could easily handle an update like this !
Last edited by Bastien on Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

hkarlsen

PostFri Mar 19, 2021 10:47 am

+300 gen5 for G2. This should have been done months ago!

John Richard

PostFri Mar 19, 2021 12:49 pm

Is there a physical limitation for considering UMPG1 for a Gen5 firmware upgrade as well?

Derfla

PostFri Mar 19, 2021 2:50 pm

Bastien wrote:Maybe if a lot of people send email to request this firmware update, Blackmagic will consider this a bit more. This is a shame to take away this young camera from the update list. It's a very capable camera (sensor and electronics) that could easily handle an update like this !

I agree. It seems to be one of the most stable cameras in their lineup. Very few complaints relative to their other offerings (from what I've found online). I wonder if that's part of the problem. If it ain't broke don't fix it? But yeah, at the very least BMD should update the firmware to the Gen 5 Color science.

lastian

PostSat Mar 20, 2021 10:20 am

I sent emails to them ask for it couple times and no surprise back.
I just want a simple answer yes or not.
If Gen 5 go to 4K and 6K how G2 become to impossible for it?
As I know some new features already went to G1 on 6.9.4 such as language options etc. Does those features won’t come to G2 neither?
Please BMD don’t let us down…

Dan Shay

PostTue Mar 23, 2021 10:17 am

BlackMagic did the same thing with the original 4.6k. Drop support after a couple of years in the hopes that users would upgrade to the latest model. Seems like they are pulling the same thing with the G2. It is really hard to make a $10,000 investment in the 12k, with the prospect of them dropping support when a newer model comes out in a couple of years.

Patrick Spectra

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 12:42 am

I have a G1 UMP and Pocket 4K. Upgraded a few years ago from a couple of original Pockets. I still have no problem using my G1 or Pocket 4 for stuff but I also know that the G1 has passed it’s prime. And I’m ok with that.

The problem I see with BMD now is that they have attention deficit disorder. Too many products, too many updated products, too much code to write and doing this in an over saturated market. I have no idea their staff levels but I assume they’re small and have too many things on the go.

I even stopped upgrading Resolve. It’s been in Beta, out of Beta and in Beta too many times.

It’s not my business but if BMD was listening, cut some products, slow down, breath and support products longer.

P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Derfla

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 4:19 pm

Patrick Spectra wrote:I have a G1 UMP and Pocket 4K. Upgraded a few years ago from a couple of original Pockets. I still have no problem using my G1 or Pocket 4 for stuff but I also know that the G1 has passed it’s prime. And I’m ok with that.

The problem I see with BMD now is that they have attention deficit disorder. Too many products, too many updated products, too much code to write and doing this in an over saturated market. I have no idea their staff levels but I assume they’re small and have too many things on the go.

I even stopped upgrading Resolve. It’s been in Beta, out of Beta and in Beta too many times.

It’s not my business but if BMD was listening, cut some products, slow down, breath and support products longer.

P

They have approximately 1400-1500 employees. Of those, I'm not sure how many are developers or if they offshore their software/firmware coding. I agree with you though, they do have a lot of products to support.

rick.lang

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 10:01 pm

The URSA Mini 4.6K original is stuck at release 4.8 and Colour Science Gen 3. However I believe Resolve 17 (and 16) has support for Colour Science Gen 4 for that camera if you’re shooting CinenaDNG. I’ve hoped for BRAW and Gen 5 but realistically I don’t expect that to happen. However that doesn’t mean that I’d never shoot with the camera again and never consider pairing it with the BMPCC4K again.
Rick Lang

timbutt2

PostFri Mar 26, 2021 12:39 am

I'll hold out some hope. But since the G2 is my A-Cam and a Pocket will never be then the Pocket needs to match it. So I won't update the Pocket 6K if the G2 never gets Gen 5 CS. I hope both get the update. Meanwhile I'm going to continue working and will maybe look towards the next generation 12K as my A-Cam down the road when it comes out.

timbutt2

PostFri Mar 26, 2021 12:42 am

BTW: Blackmagic RAW 2.0 is out Today it looks like: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/suppor ... al-cameras

Might be sign of an imminent Camera Firmware Update.

EDIT: I say out today, and I think that is "Out of Beta" since 2.0 was previously Beta.

Bastien

PostMon Mar 29, 2021 5:21 pm

Finally, Blackmagic Technical Support Consultant answers about the release of Film Gen 5 firmware for the Ursa G2 :

"As for your question as to when the URSA Mini Pro G2 will receive a firmware update for the Gen 5 colour science.
This is not information I have available. Our developers will be working hard on this and release the update when it is ready. "

Fingers crossed it will be out one day :)

rick.lang

PostMon Mar 29, 2021 6:58 pm

Interesting comment as it confirms that it will be worked on.
Rick Lang

timbutt2

PostTue Mar 30, 2021 1:22 am

I feel like this is the same response we got with BRAW for the OG URSA Mini 4.6K. And, it never happened.

I’ll hold out hope. But the footage I’m shootings still like great fro maybe G2. Very happy with today’s footage.

MochoCinematic

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 11:12 pm

It's a shame the update didn't include the Ursa.
I am really disappointed.
It would be great if they did a separate update for it but at this point I don't know anymore.

I just got the Ursa G2 recently to go with my pocket 6K and now I can't update so I can still film in ProRes. :cry:

Ellory Yu

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 11:53 pm

If BMD can update the G2 with the following items, I will be ever grateful and can consider it the last firmware I expect from it.
    Adds support for Generation 5 color science.
    Add custom frame guides settings.
    Adds Q1 and Q3 Blackmagic RAW recording options.
    Upgrades the luminance histogram to RGB histogram.
    Adds color channel clipping indicators.
    Adds false color guide display.
    Adds LCD screen calibration settings.
    Adds support for LCD screen dimming for power conservation.
I don’t know about this other items that were addressed on the pocket and may not be necessary at all for the G2... just skip them unless the engineers really think they will give the G2 better functionality.
    Improves auto focus and active lens control.
    Improves focus peaking visibility.

timbutt2

PostWed Apr 28, 2021 4:13 am

Ellory Yu wrote:If BMD can update the G2 with the following items, I will be ever grateful and can consider it the last firmware I expect from it.
    Adds support for Generation 5 color science.
    Add custom frame guides settings.
    Adds Q1 and Q3 Blackmagic RAW recording options.
    Adds LCD screen calibration settings.
    Adds support for LCD screen dimming for power conservation.
I don’t know about this other items that were addressed on the pocket and may not be necessary at all for the G2... just skip them unless the engineers really think they will give the G2 better functionality.
    Improves auto focus and active lens control.
    Improves focus peaking visibility.

It's totally possible this could happen because even the 12K needs an update to get these new features:
So you might be surprised with the URSA Mini Pro G2 getting some of the updates and the 12K getting a few of the new features as well in a single URSA Mini update. That's my hope.

PS I bit the bullet and ordered a Pocket 6K Pro.

WahWay

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 12:19 pm

Any more news about the G2 updates? Yes even the UMP 12k is behind in some of the features compare to the Pocket cameras. I can only guess BMD poured their resources behind making the Pocket cameras better because they sell more of them?

Bastien

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 1:10 pm

Hi,

We didn't get any news since months.
It looks like BMD is letting us down...

Maybe I will look somewhere else for my next camera purchase.

Adam Langdon

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 1:58 pm

I'm sure they are suffering from the effects of COVID- related woes, just like most companies.

Regardless of reasons, I just try to focus on what the camera actually does for me right now.
The way I shoot, I'm always in BRAW, and i really like the flexibility of both my UMPG2 and P6KPro.
Ursa Mini 12k +Rawlite - Cinema Camera 6k - SLR Magic APO Microprimes PL/EF - Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 G2 - Aputure Lighting

WahWay

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 2:50 pm

The ability to match all current cameras with the same colour science is key to professional use. The G2 predate the original Pocket 6k by a few months while the Pocket 4k is about a year older than the G2. The Pocket series are BMD's introductory or B cams to the Ursa Mini G2 A cam. The UMP 12k the way I see it are still out of reach for most who normally consider buying into Blackmagic.
G2 not had an update since August 2019, not sure if it ever had a feature update ever since it was released. Gen 5 colour should have been added long ago too. Then it was announced back in February this year they were working to have Gen 5 on the Pockets and then between February and April they brought in screen calibration and other features which they probably only developing recently. I'm not buying into this Covid theory. I'v been back at work in the UK in my IT job since September last year and tech companies supporting us have not stopped working. Australia is one of the country least impacted from Covid.

Maybe they have something to suprise us, after such a long slumber you would hope a major update is due and if it surpasses those of the Pocket cameras then you would expect that from their more expensive camera.

Ian Henderson

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 5:40 pm

Still holding thumbs for G1 and G2 to get Gen5! G2 is a current camera after all…

Tyler Edwards

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 5:54 pm

Another vote for Gen5 on URSA Mini Pro G2!
www.youtube.com/tylerfedwards

timbutt2

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 6:38 pm

I'd definitely love to have Gen 5 on the UMPG2 native. Would save me time and hassle in BRAW tab of color page changing it. I've got to say I still prefer the UMPG2 over both Pocket 6K and Pocket 6K Pro. Especially for operating. But the images still look fantastic. So, please an update bringing many of the features in other cameras that haven't been brought to the G2.

Ellory Yu

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 7:22 pm

timbutt2 wrote:I'd definitely love to have Gen 5 on the UMPG2 native. Would save me time and hassle in BRAW tab of color page changing it. I've got to say I still prefer the UMPG2 over both Pocket 6K and Pocket 6K Pro. Especially for operating. But the images still look fantastic. So, please an update bringing many of the features in other cameras that haven't been brought to the G2.

+1 here. Please make this camera continue to be relevant Blackmagic.

AbdoulUK

PostTue Jul 27, 2021 7:08 am

+1 however, I feel like the G2 won't see the update. I was an early owner of the BMCC and it feels very similar where there were hopes for some minor updates but due to the amount of new cameras released, they never came. Id bet the G2 is last on the priority list right now.

carlomacchiavello

PostTue Jul 27, 2021 10:27 am

timbutt2 wrote:I'd definitely love to have Gen 5 on the UMPG2 native. Would save me time and hassle in BRAW tab of color page changing it. I've got to say I still prefer the UMPG2 over both Pocket 6K and Pocket 6K Pro. Especially for operating. But the images still look fantastic. So, please an update bringing many of the features in other cameras that haven't been brought to the G2.
You can setup in preference panel/color/braw that instead to use metadata for color science use directly cs5, I did this for shooting of Ursa Mini Pro g1.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

timbutt2

PostTue Jul 27, 2021 11:58 am

carlomacchiavello wrote:
You can setup in preference panel/color/braw that instead to use metadata for color science use directly cs5, I did this for shooting of Ursa Mini Pro g1.

Yes, I know, but sometimes I forget to do it at the start of a project.

Tyler Edwards

PostTue Jul 27, 2021 2:26 pm

carlomacchiavello wrote:

True and great if shooting in BRAW, but many times prores is sufficient and/or required as the acquisition format in camera. Having two amazing cams (G2 and P6KPro) with different color science is a real bummer and makes prores recording not as ideal.
www.youtube.com/tylerfedwards

timbutt2

PostTue Jul 27, 2021 3:24 pm

Tyler Edwards wrote:
carlomacchiavello wrote:

True and great if shooting in BRAW, but many times prores is sufficient and/or required as the acquisition format in camera. Having two amazing cams (G2 and P6KPro) with different color science is a real bummer and makes prores recording not as ideal.

Also agreed. I often have to shoot ProRes because I'm just turning over the footage to someone and not working with it in post. If I'm using all my cameras (UMPG2 plus both P6K versions) then I'd like them to match color science in ProRes for when I hand off the footage.

carlomacchiavello

PostTue Jul 27, 2021 8:51 pm

I agree with all of you.
I would like to see a g1 with gen5, it’s a cs elaboration from original signal, if I can exchange so easely and lightly on resolve I not think require a so big computing power. G1 and g2 share same sensor from what I remember that mean they can profile one and resolve two cameras.
To save in prores cs5, to work better and faster for many of us.

Demetrius Spencer

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 8:44 pm

Same here. Every client I have requests ProRes as a requirement so I keep both my pockets on Gen 4 to match my G1 and G2 color science. It's not feasible for me to use Braw as I will lose clients. Pretty sure BM is going to continue to steer customers into the Braw/Resolve direction, but it just won't work for me so I'm hesitant about purchasing anything new from them as much as I love their image.

Bastien

PostFri Jul 30, 2021 9:56 am

Does the Blackmagic Team even look at this forum and topics ?

WahWay

PostFri Jul 30, 2021 1:13 pm

Their only Netflix approved camera don't shoot with Gen 5 colour science. Is BMD saying to the industry they don't have faith in Gen 5 colour yet and left that for their prosumer Pocket cameras and their high end but somewhat experimental 12k sensor cam?
Maybe we are expecting a Gen 6 Colour pro enough for the G2? :lol:

Dan Shay

PostThu Aug 12, 2021 3:52 pm

Wow. Still no update for the URSA G2 to gen 5 color yet. The camera was released
just 2 years ago and Blackmagic has already stopped support with firmware updates.(Mind you they did the same thing with the original URSA 4.6k, dropping support right after the G1 was released). I see this as a misguided ploy to get customers to upgrade to the 12k. But it has the opposite effect. Now looking to move on to Canon.

jerrygladh

PostThu Aug 12, 2021 6:35 pm

Dan Shay wrote:Wow. Still no update for the URSA G2 to gen 5 color yet. The camera was released
just 2 years ago and Blackmagic has already stopped support with firmware updates.(Mind you they did the same thing with the original URSA 4.6k, dropping support right after the G1 was released). I see this as a misguided ploy to get customers to upgrade to the 12k. But it has the opposite effect. Now looking to move on to Canon.

Love my BM cameras, have 6 of them, and use them when needed.
But my A-cam nowadays is the C300 MIII...

Jerry
DR Studio | Mac Pro 7.1 16c | 192 GB Ram | 2x RX 6900 xt | MBP M1
BM G2 | G1 | 3xP6kPro | Canon C300 M3, R5c, XF605
Asus PA32UCG, Eizo CG 318, 319 | Atomos Sumo 19SE | LG C9
Atem Mini Extreme| Ultrastudio Mini 4k | Mini Panel

WahWay

PostThu Aug 12, 2021 8:18 pm

For me the UMP G2 is a more compelling working pro camera than the UMP 12k. If their 12k camera was discontinued tomorrow I would'nt be that sorry but if the G2 was stopped and nothing at least rival it with ProRes and price point to take its place it would be a big step backward.

Ellory Yu

PostThu Aug 12, 2021 10:23 pm

WahWay wrote:For me the UMP G2 is a more compelling working pro camera than the UMP 12k. If their 12k camera was discontinued tomorrow I would'nt be that sorry but if the G2 was stopped and nothing at least rival it with ProRes and price point to take its place it would be a big step backward.

Exactly and I agree. I’ve said this before and will say it again that anything above 6K is just marketing fanfare. How about giving the G2 Gen5 now. While at it, 4K DCI @240fps no crop Prores. :)
Next

Return to Cinematography