Pocket 6k Pro - Particle on the glass

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Matthew_Lawrence

Pocket 6k Pro - Particle on the glass

PostSat Mar 13, 2021 1:48 pm

I was scrolling through my YouTube feed and noticed this video from Marc Jungbluth where he shows that there is a white particle on one of his ND filters:

He recommended owners check their units. I seem to have one too, but it is in a different place. Mine is right at the top corner of where the sensor is and I can’t tell whether it overlaps the sensor or not (it depends which angle I view from). I notice the particle on clear and 4 stops (but not on 2 or 6).

I’ve not noticed any effect on the image. I did shoot some shots without a lens and just the cover on at all the different strengths on ND and I can’t notice any spots or marks on the image.

Would appreciate some advice on this. Would you recommend returning the unit?

Matthew_Lawrence

Re: Pocket 6k Pro - Particle on the glass

PostSun Mar 14, 2021 9:12 pm

Just a quick update on this. I've decided to try and get the unit exchanged.

I've no idea whether it will effect the image or not (not noticed anything so far) but I messaged Marc Jungbluth (the YouTuber who posted the initial video) and he said his view was that you never now how these kind of particles affect the image and it’s also hard to Test. Quite possible that the particles causing flares etc due to light refraction, like dust on the front element of a lens.

So I decided to play it safe and try and exchange for one without this particle. I'll update this post with how I get on.

robert Hart

PostTue Mar 16, 2021 10:02 am

If it is apparent on two filter settings it may be a particle on the rear of the IR filter disk in front of the filter slides and being backlit by reflection from the sensor. The second filter slide may be diffusing any light reflecting from the sensor.

If you shine a small torch in there you may still see the particle at all filter settings. I understand that the camera uses two filter slides additively. If it does not, please ignore my comment. If the particle is visible on only the two filter selections when being torchlit, then it may be resting on the clear filter panel.

If you can point your camera with a long lens attached toward a bright even surface or a hard clear sky with lens aperture set at f16 or f22 and not see a soft freckle in the top right corner of the image it may not become a problem. As a problem, it may become most apparent when using a lens like the Sigma 50-500 f 4- f6.3 which very definitely makes dust motes show up.

If your camera body experiences a static charge and that speckle jumps towards the centre or across onto one of the filter panels closer to the sensor then things may change. My personal preference would be to leave a sleeping dog lie rather than risk human intervention introducing other issues but warranty is warranty and you are on your own after it expires.

SaschaH

PostTue Mar 16, 2021 10:41 am

Same issue with my unit. Just tested if it's showing up in the image and it definitely is.

Sending it back to have it swapped hopefully.

211603_bmpocket6kpro_dust_small.jpg
211603_bmpocket6kpro_dust_small.jpg (131.53 KiB) Viewed 1758 times

mekkes82

PostTue Mar 16, 2021 10:48 am

Hey guys! My camera was exchanged an the new one is clean. Really crazy how many others are affected by this! Although its hard when you want to play with your new toy, always would use the return period for this. Because the particle could also move and then be visible.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Ulysses Paiva

PostTue Mar 16, 2021 1:17 pm

Did you guys tried to clean it with a lens blower??? Seems so simple to solve and you guys freaking out for nothing...
Ulysses Paiva

SaschaH

PostTue Mar 16, 2021 1:23 pm

Ulysses Paiva wrote:Did you guys tried to clean it with a lens blower??? Seems so simple to solve and you guys freaking out for nothing...

There is a protective glass element in front of it, you can't get to it without disassembling the camera and I'm not willing to do that with a brand new product.

Matthew_Lawrence

PostWed Mar 17, 2021 10:41 pm

Ulysses Paiva wrote:Did you guys tried to clean it with a lens blower??? Seems so simple to solve and you guys freaking out for nothing...

Of course. It's underneath the glass unfortunately.

robert Hart wrote:If you shine a small torch in there you may still see the particle at all filter settings.

Unfortunately I can’t test this as I already sent it back. My understanding is that it is going to be exchanged for a different unit and the retailer will be returning the original unit to Blackmagic but I’ll keep you posted with what happens. I did seriously consider just hanging on to it as I couldn’t see anything on the images but the advice from a few people I spoke to was to return and exchange.

Kadokiox

PostTue Mar 23, 2021 6:34 pm

I have two spots on my ND (4 stops) in my Pocket 6K Pro (as the camera is facing me, bottom right and upper left) the other ND's seem clean. I don't see them in the images so far that I've noticed but it REALLY bugs me that they're there at all. Unfortunately I'm not really in a position to return/swap it out at the moment (in the middle of a shoot on location actually)

There's also a tiny spot on the front-most glass (the one that the ND's are behind) but it's below the image area.

I'm beginning to regret buying the Pocket 6K pro with all the issues with it I'm noticing. Blue-Tinted LCD, barely "pink" false color, spots on the ND filters, can't save presets to SD cards, fan's a bit noisy, the LUT bug...

Kadokiox

PostWed Mar 24, 2021 4:37 pm

I think I'm going to exchange my 6K Pro with another one since I'm still in the return period. I noticed some very odd fogging or separation of the ND filters around the edge of the ND4 stops filter. You can see in these two images I took after the DP noticed some weirdness around the frame on the shoot recently.

I circled the two particles that are inside on the ND 4 stops filter and pointed to and outlined the strange fogging/separation the filter shows when you shine a flashlight on it at the right angle. You can actually see the fogging/separation around one particle in the top right of the image with arrows.

Has anyone else seen this? Is BlackMagic aware of this issue?
Attachments
BMPCC6K ND 02.jpg
Fogging separation? And particles
BMPCC6K ND 02.jpg (160.15 KiB) Viewed 1497 times
BMPCC6K ND 01.jpg
Fogging and particles on ND Filter
BMPCC6K ND 01.jpg (161.04 KiB) Viewed 1497 times

mekkes82

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 5:13 am

All the particles look exactly the same. In my first 6KPRO I had just one particle. To be honest, the number of issues this camera has in terms of quality control is really embarrassing. I still can’t wrap my head around how such apparent issues can not be noticed when upscaling production. Still a fantastic camera, though...

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Paul Jonathan

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 7:50 pm

Kadokiox - the dots on the image did you draw those or is that what they actually look like? Like I get that you circled it but the dots themselves look super bright as well, wow.

Matthew_Lawrence

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 11:17 pm

Paul Jonathan wrote:Kadokiox - the dots on the image did you draw those or is that what they actually look like? Like I get that you circled it but the dots themselves look super bright as well, wow.

The dots I had on my first unit looked like this. Really bright and noticeable.

I got my replacement today and I'm happy to say there are no particles on the glass.

Kadokiox

PostFri Mar 26, 2021 2:53 am

This is actually what they look like: bright and white. I didn't alter the spots in any way and only outlined and circled what's actually there.

I'm currently waiting on my replacement 6K pro.

Paul Jonathan

PostFri Mar 26, 2021 6:56 am

Wow that's crazy. Good luck!

Kadokiox

PostThu Apr 01, 2021 2:38 pm

My replacement 6K Pro is apparently on it's way. I'll report back here when it arrives and is inspected for particles and the other known issues.

Kadokiox

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 5:54 pm

My replacement 6k Pro just showed up. So far the ND's look clean in a quick inspection. So that's good. I'll post more if anything else shows up. I haven't had a change to check to see if the monitor is too blue yet.

Return to Cinematography