Pocket 6 K screen black

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

drknsss

Pocket 6 K screen black

PostTue Mar 23, 2021 3:05 am

Is there any way I can fix this myself? Can I get a replacement screen? I've fixed the screen on my other cameras and I've seen the Titla tutorials so i know I can do it.

drknsss

Re: Pocket 6 K screen black

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 3:05 am

Small Update:

Set up Bluetooth and get the app, it might save your shoot if you get a black screen!!!

I'm so glad that I set up Bluetooth control on my phone when I started up the camera the 1st time.
I use the Blackmagic Control App on android and it will pair automatically when the camera starts up. So even though the back screen is black I still have control over the camera settings!!!!

This will be a good idea for people to do if they are on a shoot and the screen does. I think the Bluetooth pairing will reset once you update the firmware so I won't try thankfully the camera has the latest firmware.

I hope this helps someone else!

drknsss

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 2:38 pm

Smaller Update:
It seems like if the camera is turned off for about 5 to 8 hours when you turn on the camera the rear screen works, then if you turn it off it will not work unless you turn it off for 8 hours..., I guess this is not a problem with the screen but maybe internal electronics issues. Its like a small capacitor has to dain before it can start normally. Now I know if I turn it on for a shoot I jist leav it on for the day haha.

The control App works great but its only missing a few controls like Monitor fuctions but very minor stuff. You can even set focus marks and switche between them!

It appears to me when other camera owners solve their screen problems they don't come back to the forum and update their initial postings here..., unless I just missed that part in my search.

drknsss

PostSat Mar 27, 2021 3:02 am

Update:

I will be getting a replacement camera from Blackmagic! I am very grateful to customer support.

I still don't have any Canon glass anyways so I will use this time to get some.

rick.lang

PostSat Mar 27, 2021 4:05 am

Thanks for the update.
Rick Lang

drknsss

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 5:19 pm

Final update.

Finally received by replacement P6K and I couldn't be happier. So far so good. This replacement also has quieter fan noise than the other one which is a good thing !!!

Initially, I was told there was gonna be no restocking of this camera until next month but the person working with me helped out bigtime.

Thank you Shannon Rivard from SFM in Montreal!

rick.lang

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 12:12 am

Excellent news. Always wonderful when someone in retail makes a big difference!
Rick Lang

drknsss

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 6:20 pm

My only concern now is updating the camera. I was told that the update to the current firmware might have been what bricked my camera.

The new camera arrived with the latest firmware so I'm good for now but a bit apprehensive about doing anything with firmware update for a while unless someone here knows different.

rick.lang

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 11:06 pm

I always have my cameras with a charged battery or mains power if appropriate in order to apply a firmware update. Careful not to knock the cable while it’s updating and sometimes one must be patient for the setup app to complete and report the new firmware is installed. Remember also to apply the update to the URSA Viewfinder or EVF if applicable.
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography