Sennheiser g3 and BMPCC

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

DanAbrams

Sennheiser g3 and BMPCC

PostSat Oct 12, 2013 10:31 pm

Just ran a quick test of the Sennheiser G3 ew 100 wireless lav system directly into the BMPCC. It sounded great...except when it clipped. Couldn't tell during recording that it was clipping either. WE NEED VU METERS ASAP.

Also tried the Sennheiser ME64. It's just not loud enough to be usable straight in.

But if we could get VU meters, I could do probably 75% of what I shoot with just the Sennheiser G3 system.

Craig Seeman

Re: Sennheiser g3 and BMPCC

PostSat Oct 12, 2013 11:20 pm

Of course with wireless mics things can get overdriven at several stages such as mic, transmitter, receiver, camera pre amp, All the more reason why VU meters are needed though. Even if you heard distortion in the head set you'd be troubleshooting blind. Seeing VU meters will give you a clue whether the issue is in the camera settings or in the mic, transmitter, receiver stages. I'm sure you know this but this why, when using the G3, listening in the headphones just isn't enough to tell you where the issue is. Sometimes even just the headphones can be overdriven.

Sasha Gorev

PostSat Oct 12, 2013 11:22 pm

Yeah i can confirm that too, im not a sound guy but to me it sounds good when i get a track from sound op via wireless. I got meters on Alphatron, so not a big deal for me ;)

DanAbrams

PostSun Oct 13, 2013 1:31 am

Craig, let me clarify by being more specific:

The g3 transmitter has meters and a peaking indicator. When they indicate peaking, it is audible in headphone plugged into the pocket (and in the mov files).

When the levels coming from the receiver into the pocket are ok, but the pockets internal pre-amps peak, I can't hear the peaking in the headphones, it's only audible in the mov files later.

If we got levels, it would make a lot of what I do easier, since I could do quicker shoots without setting up my zoom h6.

Steve DiMaggio

PostSun Oct 13, 2013 2:48 am

a good example is go to :28 and wait for the loud part

Return to Cinematography