Black Magic Camera Entry Metadata Keyboard

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

James David

Black Magic Camera Entry Metadata Keyboard

PostSun Oct 13, 2013 10:25 pm

A simple request here. Can we get this feature or can something be hacked fairly quick?

The metadata entry would be awesome if it didn't take a minutes worth of set time to make use of it!

Darko Djerich

Re: Black Magic Camera Entry Metadata Keyboard

PostSun Oct 13, 2013 10:35 pm

That is fantastic idea ,yes it would be great to just enable keyboard into USB for Metadata !
Artist
Creative Film Enterprises Pty Ltd
creativefilm.com.au
ARRI Alexa EV, ALEXA Plus, MBP M3Pro, iMac5k i7 48gb AERO 5 OLED rtx3070ti BMD eGPU phase one p40+, UM4.6 ef bmcc ef bmpcc, speed editor, Ultrastudio mini 4k dji Inspire RAW 4K

jayb

PostSun Oct 13, 2013 10:52 pm

Darko Djerich wrote:That is fantastic idea ,yes it would be great to just enable keyboard into USB for Metadata !

I agree - I thought the sample metadata from the factory was amazing, until I tried to update it :?

Even if we could plug it into the PC and update it through a PC app - that would be ideal. After all, we all will have laptops with us while shooting, to offload footage and format cards, right? :D

paulgolden

PostSun Oct 13, 2013 11:29 pm

I agree that when you're shooting take after take, asking the DP or a harried AC to enter meta data is a PIA. I think a Bluetooth implementation that a script supervisor could control, similar to the Movie Slate app on iPad would be ideal.

But another thing to consider is that in a RAW workflow, the metadata goes NOWHERE. Last I checked (maybe it's different for 10) all you get is scene and take numbers if you're lucky and then once you've rendered out dailies from Resolve, even that metadata disappears. It works a bit better with ProRes, but I think the metadata workflow on this camera promises a lot, but delivers relatively little.

Return to Cinematography