Battery and IR solutions for BMPCC 4K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

miguelangel_cm

Battery and IR solutions for BMPCC 4K

PostSun Apr 11, 2021 11:13 am

Hello,

I just ordered my BMPCC 4K (pretty excited!) and while it arrives, I'm thinking on what's the best way to power it.

I found this Smallrig NPF solution. Many Youtubers use it and claim to get a good couple hours from it. However, since NPF battery provide around 7V and the BMPCC 4K requires 12V, I'm not sure if it's a good idea. I guess there's some conversion going on through the adapter, which means some power is lost. Does anyone have any experiences with it?

On the other hand, I would like to be able to power the camera and my Tilta Nucleus Nano (which requires 5V) whenever I want to use it. Would a V-mount battery be able to do this? I think this provides around 15V, so I'm not sure if they would be enough to cover 12V+5V...
If anybody has any experience achieving this, let me know.

On the other hand, what solutions do you recommend to combat IR pollution? Obviously, there are times when I will use a variable ND... I've seen very cheap (30€) filters on ebay, but I'm not sure if they are recommended. I've also seen an IR filter from Rawlite, but it's expensive (380€) and requires opening the camera, which I'm not sure if I want to do!

Any recommendations are appreciated. :)

Cheers from Spain

Return to Cinematography