BLackmagic, what’s the deal with the UMP G2 firmware?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Ellory Yu

BLackmagic, what’s the deal with the UMP G2 firmware?

PostSat Apr 17, 2021 7:22 am

Read my grief here...
    viewtopic.php?f=2&t=139411#p751615

Then come back here and let us know what the heck happened and if the G2 will get a firmware upgrade any time soon with all the things like 1:1 and custom frame guides that is on the G1 but not on G2. :(
    URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
    PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

thomas bruegger

Re: BLackmagic, what’s the deal with the UMP G2 firmware?

PostSun Apr 18, 2021 6:39 am

Yeah im still in the G2 Boat and 1:1 would make life easier. But we asked for it for so long, being a long time BM User i think its safe to say that its not going to happen.
    Still a great Camera but that they never bothered updating the Camera with theese modest functions that the Pockets had from day 1 is embarassing.
    Thomas Bruegger / garage5 GmbH
    www.garage5.ch

QuantumImages

PostSun Apr 18, 2021 6:59 pm

Got my G2 on June 29th 2019. It died a month ago, with the same original firmware. I wouldn't hold my breath... :(
    Camera : URSA Mini Pro G2 + A7sIII
    Computer : AMD Threadripper 2950x 16-cores 3,50Ghz // MSI X399 Pro Carbon // 64GB RAM // RTX 3080 // M.2 1TB + 2TB // WD Enterprise Gold 12TB x2 // Seasonic GX-1000 PSU

Dan Keeble

PostSun Apr 18, 2021 9:37 pm

It is confusing.

They....are...aware they released this camera....right?
    www.flud.digital

jonstatt

PostMon Apr 19, 2021 5:56 pm

This comes up every month or two and so far it has met with silence from BMD. Head firmly in the sand on this one which quite frankly is starting to look very silly.

I almost wonder whether there is a bug in the current firmware that prevents it being updated. What else could be causing this absurdity?

Josh Hendrix

PostMon Apr 19, 2021 6:22 pm

The firmware team has been out to lunch for the past two years. They promised to get right at when they get back though :lol:

We had a G2 for a bit and loved it but the lack of support was always something that came up when there was so many small things that could have been ironed out.

The team working on the 7.3 firmware for the Pockets also seems to be permanently out to lunch too....

Donnell Henry

PostMon Apr 19, 2021 7:00 pm

You guys remember Covid right?
    GODS CREATE

timbutt2

PostMon Apr 19, 2021 7:20 pm

As long as they deliver Color Science 5 and the extra Constant Quality BRAW options then I’ll be happy. That’s the only thing I really want for the G2 at this point. Yes, I’d like the custom frame guides. But after 1.5 years of not having them on the G2 I can continue to live. And I barely use them on Pocket 6K anyways. So all I want is CS5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
    Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
    Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Josh Hendrix

PostMon Apr 19, 2021 7:50 pm

Donnell Henry wrote:You guys remember Covid right?

True and I bet that played a big part in it. But transparency on the issue is the problem. If they aren't planning an update for the G2, just say so. If it is a delay due to staffing changes/work from home/covid, say so. Anytime some has reached out it has been that there is "no information regarding firmware". In the case of the 7.3 update, that was slated for last month, an official statement saying that it has been delayed for X Y or Z reasons would be appreciative.

I still like BMD as a company despite these things, it's just annoying when you spend a good bit on a camera to have it be quietly forgotten about.

Ellory Yu

PostMon Apr 19, 2021 8:02 pm

That's no excuse to not provide any communication at all. I like BMD but they have a track record of just dumping products for the next one that they set their eyes too. The UMP 4.6K G2 is likely the camera that they should put more attention to than coming up with more K resolution which is not interesting but to just a handful. Anyway, it's frustration to say the least.
    PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

John Brawley

PostTue Apr 20, 2021 12:29 am

Ellory Yu wrote:

That's no excuse to not provide any communication at all.

Since when have BMD ever ever ever talked about what they are planning in advance ? They don't. They never have. They never will. It's not an excuse. It's what they've ALWAYS done.

JB
    John Brawley ACS
    Cinematographer
    Currently - Los Angeles

Ellory Yu

PostTue Apr 20, 2021 12:48 am

John Brawley wrote:
    Ellory Yu wrote:

Since when have BMD ever ever ever talked about what they are planning in advance ? They don't. They never have. They never will. It's not an excuse. It's what they've ALWAYS done.

JB

Yeah, a very unfortunate way for treating customers. By communication, I am not asking them to disclose what they are doing next, but let us know if the damn camera is EOL or we are SOL with any updates because they’re on their next thing. It is a decent thing to do.

John Brawley

PostTue Apr 20, 2021 12:54 am

Ellory Yu wrote:Yeah, a very unfortunate way for treating customers. By communication, I am not asking them to disclose what they are doing next, but let us know if the damn camera is EOL or we are SOL with any updates because they’re on their next thing. It is a decent thing to do.

It's very standard practice for any corperation to not forward announce their plans.

If the camera is still being sold, it's not EOL.

This is not Sony. They have literally a handful of people working on this. They can't do it all. They have always prioritised bug fixes and THEN they add features where they can.

JB
    John Brawley ACS
    Cinematographer
    Currently - Los Angeles

Mike Potton

PostTue Apr 20, 2021 1:40 am

John Brawley wrote:
    Ellory Yu wrote:

JB

I bought my G1 assuming we would get 4 channel audio recording, there is a physical button on the camera suggesting this would be implemented and it was mentioned directly in the manual that it would be 'added in the future via a firmware update'.

It never happened.

Lesson learned, be happy with what features you get when you buy the camera anything you get after is a bonus. BMD can deliver amazing bonus's such as BRAW.

John Brawley

PostTue Apr 20, 2021 1:43 am

Mike Potton wrote:
    Lesson learned, be happy with what features you get when you buy the camera anything you get after is a bonus. BMD can deliver amazing bonus's such as BRAW.

This is the very best way to look at It.

JB
    John Brawley ACS
    Cinematographer
    Currently - Los Angeles

Ellory Yu

PostTue Apr 20, 2021 2:37 am

John Brawley wrote:
    Mike Potton wrote:

This is the very best way to look at It.

JB

Very unfortunate way when customers are told this is the best way to look at it.
    Sorry folks, that don’t cut this cheese. I pay for the products I bought from them... so I don’t patronize them because I don’t get free stuff from them. I want to be treated like a paying customer. If it makes it all the better, they should charge for the firmware and updates as long as they’re going to be ready to support it 100% of the time, in a timely responsive manner.

Yes, lesson learned. And yes, they’re not Sony... will never be.

John Brawley

PostTue Apr 20, 2021 3:07 am

Ellory Yu wrote:Very unfortunate way when customers are told this is the best way to look at it.
    S

That's not BMD saying this. It's me.

I don't speak for for BMD. I'm just pointing out that they have never done a behaviour you're critical of them for in a specific instance.

I'm not apologising. I'm to even saying I think it's OK. I'm just pointing out they don't do it and neither do a lot of other companies. You're conflating a BMD policy (that is standard practice for many businesses) with my explanation of that practice. It doesn't mean I sanction it.

You're basically saying I'm apologising because I get free stuff ? Hey you know what ? It's fine. I'm not paid to be here and I don't have to participate, so I'll make sure I don't contribute to any of your future threads if you want to get petty about it. Deal ?

JB
    John Brawley ACS
    Cinematographer
    Currently - Los Angeles

Ellory Yu

PostTue Apr 20, 2021 3:21 am

John Brawley wrote:
    You're basically saying I'm apologising because I get free stuff ? Hey you know what ? It's fine. I'm not paid to be here and I don't have to participate, so I'll make sure I don't contribute to any of your future threads if you want to get petty about it. Deal ?

JB

JB, I am not implying that you are getting free stuff and apologizing for BMD. There are many of those who do, as well as who do not, yet get to be on the defensive when someone becomes critical of how BMD operates. I am making noise here in the hopes they open their eyes to make things better for all of us who put time and money on their products. How we contribute to each other thread don’t matter at all. We do what we want and no one is going to stop us. Bottom line, I am not getting petty with you. I do get annoyed with how BMD treats their customers, especially when we are here on their forum trying to either get their attention or help them improve their products.

timbutt2

PostTue Apr 20, 2021 5:17 am

The amazing updates to the 2.5K after I purchased it kept me in the Blackmagic family. The updates to the URSA Mini 4.6K kept me in the family. The lack of updates to the G2... doesn't matter, I'm in the Blackmagic family and will still buy Blackmagic again.

As I've said, I'm leaning towards the 12K Gen 2 instead of the current 12K. This is mainly for the improvements I want to see beyond just the sensor. I still don't need the 12K resolution. And, I need ProRes for using the UMP with other cameras like the Alexa sometimes. And, clients ask for ProRes often as well. So the G2 is definitely a great option still because of this. Until the 12K has ProRes as an option just for providing footage via Client Demands, then I'll hold off.

Demetrius Spencer

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 2:47 pm

I purchased 4 Production 4K cams and dealt with FPN (BM replaced 3 of the as it was the camera not a lack of on set light), Purchased the original Ursa Mini that had the IR pollution issues, 2 UMP, 1 UMPG2, P4k, and P6K. I say that to say I've been loyal to the brand, but i've slowly seen the brand not be loyal to me and what I need for my video clientele and workflow. It feels like they're moving to the Apple approach more and more by forcing us to living in their universe with Resolve etc. I have to shoot and deliver in 2k ProRes. Pockets don't offer 2k in ProRes and my files are huge in 4k to scale down. It's just starting to not fit into my workflow or it would take a lot more time to make it fit in doing proxys etc. Lack of communication kills any relationship and it's beginning to look that way here. I wouldn't mind paying a little more for a good camera if they had to pay to license ProRes 2k from Apple etc. Just my .02

tszczesniak

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 2:03 am

New firmware's out and G2's not on the list. Writing's on the wall.

timbutt2

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 3:54 am

tszczesniak wrote:New firmware's out and G2's not on the list. Writing's on the wall.

I'd say not yet. This was primarily focused on the Pockets. Which, is what Blackmagic announced when they did the Pocket 6K Pro announcement. Let's just hope that Firmware 7.4 addresses the UMPG2 and brings these updates to it.

Return to Cinematography