Video Assist 12G 5'' as a "grading" monitor for Resolve

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

provanguard

Video Assist 12G 5'' as a "grading" monitor for Resolve

PostSat Apr 17, 2021 11:54 am

Hello,

After getting Davinci Resolve Studio, Nikon Z6 II with BRAW, Video Assist 12G HDR, DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K, the next natural step for me is to get HDR preview in Davinci Resolve.

I connected Video Assist 12G to the DeckLink card and I am getting an HDR preview. Great, but...

1. How do I ensure that the Video Assist is showing at least 80-90% representative image of the rendered result shown on a modern HDR 4K TV?
2. Is there any way to "calibrate" VA?
3. What are the default settings for contrast, brightness and saturation that are closest to the "real" output?
Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.6
Video Assist 12G 5'' HDR, Decklink Mini Monitor 4K
Nikon Z8, Røde Wireless Pro, Røde VideoMic NTG
Intel Core i5-13600K, 64 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 16GB, Windows 10

John Brawley

Re: Video Assist 12G 5'' as a "grading" monitor for Resolve

PostSat Apr 17, 2021 3:38 pm

provanguard wrote:Hello,

After getting Davinci Resolve Studio, Nikon Z6 II with BRAW, Video Assist 12G HDR, DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K, the next natural step for me is to get HDR preview in Davinci Resolve.

I connected Video Assist 12G to the DeckLink card and I am getting an HDR preview. Great, but...

1. How do I ensure that the Video Assist is showing at least 80-90% representative image of the rendered result shown on a modern HDR 4K TV?
3. What are the default settings for contrast, brightness and saturation that are closest to the "real" output?

I think if you truly want to grade in HDR the better way would be to use a consumer HDR Television. The Video Assist's primary job is as a field recorder that can be viewed to be able to frame in difficult lighting conditions. It's not designed to be colour accurate. Very few field monitors are reference monitor accurate and use the HDR moniker more as a high brightness (high nit) feature.

There are no ways to do even basic calibration other than creating your own LUT for the monitor itself.

A much much better solution would be to use a decent consumer HDR television, which will have a much larger scale way for you to scrutinise the image.

You could consider using the scopes function of the Video Assists in tandem with the monitor.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

WahWay

PostSat Apr 17, 2021 4:40 pm

I have the 7" VA12G HDR and its an excellent screen apart from the red/magenta cast which makes the WB appear a bit warm. I don't know how hard it is to include RGB option or even a tint option like that seen in many BMD cameras but if it could have them then potentially I have no problem using it as a "grading" screen.

WahWay

PostSun Apr 18, 2021 8:44 am

provanguard wrote:Hello,

In normal indoor and lowlight I set my brightness and contrast between 30-32% and saturation at 50%. Might be different between different VA?

Return to Cinematography