Choosing a cinema camera that fits editing system capability

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

hoxshox

Choosing a cinema camera that fits editing system capability

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 3:32 pm

I realize that it seems that I am going in reverse on this process, but I am choosing my cinema camera according to the abilities of my editing system. I recently bought a pretty decent laptop (i7-10750H CPU; 3070 GPU, etc.) and have installed the Davinci Resolve 17 Studio software on it. I ran the Blackmagic Raw Speed Test and got my results (I have attached them to this post -- you'll have to scroll down on the image). Would it be possible for anyone to look at these results and tell me which cinema camera that they think would be compatible with these results? In other words, I don't want to buy a camera that produces signal that my editing system can't handle but one that is able utilize the benefits of what my system IS actually capable of. What can this editing system handle -- 4K? 6K? I'm new at this and would greatly appreciate some help to decide. Thanks.
Attachments
Blackmagic raw speed test results.jpg
Blackmagic raw speed test results
Blackmagic raw speed test results.jpg (163.89 KiB) Viewed 375 times

Uli Plank

Re: Choosing a cinema camera that fits editing system capabi

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 9:52 pm

How much VRAM does that GPU have? I'd say you can handle 6K quite well in a 5K/UHD timeline.
12K would be too much for a laptop.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Ellory Yu

Re: Choosing a cinema camera that fits editing system capabi

PostThu Apr 22, 2021 12:04 am

Eric, I have a few computers and one of them is a run of the mill laptop that is has similar cpu and a 3070 with 8gb ddr6 vram. I have 16Gb ram on it too. My experience is that using Resolve 16.2.8, which is one or two versions back from 17.1 is that it will be able to ingest 5.7K @ 24fps clips easily, however on a 1080 timeline to get a smooth playback during edit and grading. A 4K timeline is usable with an occasional lag. You can optimize the settings to get a better playback of course. The longer the timeline is, and the more nodes, especially nodes with things like effect filters and noise reduction, the more playback lag you will encounter. The optimal timeline on this laptop configuration would be at 1080, and then once done editing deliver in 4K.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Return to Cinematography