Which Anamorphic lenses do you use with BM Cameras?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline
User avatar

bmpcc6k

  • Posts: 65
  • Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:53 am
  • Location: Yerevan
  • Real Name: haik yan

Which Anamorphic lenses do you use with BM Cameras?

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 5:47 pm

Hi guys,

Can you tell about your experience, like which anamorphic lenses or adapters with specific lenses do you use, share with your video footage and photos of your diy rig setups.
BMPCC6K Pro / Sigma 18-35mm / Sigma 24-105mm / SLR Magic Anamorphot-50 1.33x Anamorphic Adapter
Offline
User avatar

Phil999

  • Posts: 273
  • Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:12 am
  • Real Name: Philipp Straehl

Re: Which Anamorphic lenses do you use with BM Cameras?

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 9:05 pm

I use the 24mm, 35mm and 50mm from Sirui with the pocket 4k camera. I'm not sure how this translates to the pocket 6k.
Offline
User avatar

Note Suwanchote

  • Posts: 329
  • Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:51 pm

Re: Which Anamorphic lenses do you use with BM Cameras?

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 11:21 pm

The cheapest build on s35 is probably DIY from a company such as Rapido or Rectilux.
Here's the Ursa Mini Pro 12K in that configuration:
Image

The main pieces are a Rapiod FVD-16A + ISCO Ultra Star Red + taking lens.
The taking lens in the photo above is a Tamron 45mm (this is the first time I've tried it) but I personally generally use the Nikon 50mm e or my preferred one, the Sigma Art 50mm.

Here are some stills:
(Tamron 45mm + 12K)
Image

(Nikon 85mm 1.8 Non-Ai + 12K)
Image

(Nikon 50mm e + Ursa Mini Pro G2)
Image
Last edited by Note Suwanchote on Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
lightformfilm.com
vimeo.com/Suwanchote
Offline

Ellory Yu

  • Posts: 2217
  • Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:25 pm

Re: Which Anamorphic lenses do you use with BM Cameras?

PostThu Apr 22, 2021 12:09 am

Note Suwanchote wrote:The cheapest build on s35 is probably DIY from a company such as Rapido or Rectilux.
Here's the Ursa Mini Pro 12K in that configuration:
Image

The main pieces are a Rapiod FVD-16A + ISCO Ultra Star Red + taking lens.
The taking lens in the photo above is a Tamron 45mm (this is the first time I've tried it) but I personally generally use the Nikon 50mm e or my preferred one, the Sigma Art 50mm.

Quite a nifty setup. I like it and the images too.
MSI Raider X99 MB / Intel i7 5280 6 core CPU / 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb GPU / 32Gb 3200 RAM / Decklink 4K Mini Monitor / 240Gb SSD OS Drive / 4Tb RAID 0 SSD Cache/Scratch Drive / 24Tb 7200rpm Data Drive / Win 10 Pro 64bit / Resolve 17
Offline
User avatar

timbutt2

  • Posts: 1844
  • Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:32 am

Re: Which Anamorphic lenses do you use with BM Cameras?

PostThu Apr 22, 2021 12:24 am

I’ve shot with the Atlas Orion Anamorphic Lenses on my URSA Mini Pro G2. I like them. They’re $9K per lens roughly, so on the pricier side. But still cheaper than some of the other high end anamorphic cinema lenses.
Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2, Pocket 6K, & Cinema Camera 2.5K EF
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)
Offline
User avatar

timbutt2

  • Posts: 1844
  • Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:32 am

Re: Which Anamorphic lenses do you use with BM Cameras?

PostThu Apr 22, 2021 12:25 am

Another frame grab from Atlas Orion Anamorphic:
Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2, Pocket 6K, & Cinema Camera 2.5K EF
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)
Offline
User avatar

bmpcc6k

  • Posts: 65
  • Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:53 am
  • Location: Yerevan
  • Real Name: haik yan

Re: Which Anamorphic lenses do you use with BM Cameras?

PostThu Apr 22, 2021 2:19 am

Note Suwanchote wrote:The cheapest build on s35 is probably DIY from a company such as Rapido or Rectilux.
Here's the Ursa Mini Pro 12K in that configuration:
Image


Interesting, you buy all this stuff separatelly from ebay or how?
Any webside where i can learn differences and advantages of DIY adapters and etc.?
BMPCC6K Pro / Sigma 18-35mm / Sigma 24-105mm / SLR Magic Anamorphot-50 1.33x Anamorphic Adapter
Offline
User avatar

bmpcc6k

  • Posts: 65
  • Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:53 am
  • Location: Yerevan
  • Real Name: haik yan

Re: Which Anamorphic lenses do you use with BM Cameras?

PostThu Apr 22, 2021 2:21 am

timbutt2 wrote:I’ve shot with the Atlas Orion Anamorphic Lenses on my URSA Mini Pro G2. I like them. They’re $9K per lens roughly, so on the pricier side. But still cheaper than some of the other high end anamorphic cinema lenses.


You're lucky, i cannot afford Atlas or Hawk as they too much expensive, but they industry standart.
BMPCC6K Pro / Sigma 18-35mm / Sigma 24-105mm / SLR Magic Anamorphot-50 1.33x Anamorphic Adapter
Offline
User avatar

bmpcc6k

  • Posts: 65
  • Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:53 am
  • Location: Yerevan
  • Real Name: haik yan

Re: Which Anamorphic lenses do you use with BM Cameras?

PostThu Apr 22, 2021 2:24 am

Phil999 wrote:I use the 24mm, 35mm and 50mm from Sirui with the pocket 4k camera. I'm not sure how this translates to the pocket 6k.


Sirui is great for they price and very sharp, but they give only 1.33x but i need 2x,
besides that they don't make for S35/FF sensors with EF mount which is sad,
that's why i think i need to go with DIY setup.
BMPCC6K Pro / Sigma 18-35mm / Sigma 24-105mm / SLR Magic Anamorphot-50 1.33x Anamorphic Adapter
Offline
User avatar

timbutt2

  • Posts: 1844
  • Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:32 am

Re: Which Anamorphic lenses do you use with BM Cameras?

PostThu Apr 22, 2021 3:18 am

bmpcc6k wrote:
timbutt2 wrote:I’ve shot with the Atlas Orion Anamorphic Lenses on my URSA Mini Pro G2. I like them. They’re $9K per lens roughly, so on the pricier side. But still cheaper than some of the other high end anamorphic cinema lenses.


You're lucky, i cannot afford Atlas or Hawk as they too much expensive, but they industry standart.
I don’t own the Atlas Orion Anamorphic lenses. They were owned by the producers iron company I was shooting with them. I could rent them from the company easily when I want.

Honestly, I’d say they’re great affordable anamorphic lenses. But industry standard would be Cooke or Hawke or Panavision.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2, Pocket 6K, & Cinema Camera 2.5K EF
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)
Offline
User avatar

bmpcc6k

  • Posts: 65
  • Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:53 am
  • Location: Yerevan
  • Real Name: haik yan

Re: Which Anamorphic lenses do you use with BM Cameras?

PostThu Apr 22, 2021 3:29 am

BMPCC6K Pro / Sigma 18-35mm / Sigma 24-105mm / SLR Magic Anamorphot-50 1.33x Anamorphic Adapter
Offline
User avatar

bmpcc6k

  • Posts: 65
  • Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:53 am
  • Location: Yerevan
  • Real Name: haik yan

Re: Which Anamorphic lenses do you use with BM Cameras?

PostThu Apr 22, 2021 3:34 am

timbutt2 wrote:Honestly, I’d say they’re great affordable anamorphic lenses. But industry standard would be Cooke or Hawke or Panavision.


I am talking about purchasing anamorphic not interested too much in renting.
Because maybe i want to use it few times in a aweek.
Cooke, Panavision, Hawk i'm not even think about that, they are too expensive and i don't want to use them at all.
BMPCC6K Pro / Sigma 18-35mm / Sigma 24-105mm / SLR Magic Anamorphot-50 1.33x Anamorphic Adapter
Offline

Gary Collins

  • Posts: 51
  • Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:46 pm

Re: Which Anamorphic lenses do you use with BM Cameras?

PostThu Apr 22, 2021 10:58 am

Hi buddy

No photo of rig but I use old BMPC 4k with a Hypergonar 2x and sometimes a diopter on the front (from +0.5 to +4). It means double focus so not very practical for speedy work but it's still nice. Here's a clip ps anyone can tell me how to attach pic? Thanks.
Offline

Ellory Yu

  • Posts: 2217
  • Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:25 pm

Re: Which Anamorphic lenses do you use with BM Cameras?

PostThu Apr 22, 2021 2:25 pm

bmpcc6k wrote:
timbutt2 wrote:Honestly, I’d say they’re great affordable anamorphic lenses. But industry standard would be Cooke or Hawke or Panavision.


I am talking about purchasing anamorphic not interested too much in renting.
Because maybe i want to use it few times in a aweek.
Cooke, Panavision, Hawk i'm not even think about that, they are too expensive and i don't want to use them at all.

I have rented the Atlas Orion Anamorphic and used them on the UMP G2 and well as on the RED. They are nice lenses. Cooke is pretty much the standard. Other than the DIY and faux Anamorphics, and a few like the Sirui which is only 1.33x, these lenses are fairly expensive and were meant to be rented instead of owning. I wouldn't buy them. I, like most folks, would just rent them when the production has a budget for renting them for the duration of the shoot. This way, I have the flexibility of choice to which anamorphic lens I need for the particular project, instead of getting stuck with one and trying to convince myself that it will do the job when in fact it won't.
MSI Raider X99 MB / Intel i7 5280 6 core CPU / 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb GPU / 32Gb 3200 RAM / Decklink 4K Mini Monitor / 240Gb SSD OS Drive / 4Tb RAID 0 SSD Cache/Scratch Drive / 24Tb 7200rpm Data Drive / Win 10 Pro 64bit / Resolve 17
Offline
User avatar

Note Suwanchote

  • Posts: 329
  • Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:51 pm

Re: Which Anamorphic lenses do you use with BM Cameras?

PostThu Apr 22, 2021 5:05 pm

bmpcc6k wrote:
Note Suwanchote wrote:The cheapest build on s35 is probably DIY from a company such as Rapido or Rectilux.
Here's the Ursa Mini Pro 12K in that configuration:
Image


Interesting, you buy all this stuff separately from eBay, or how?
Any website where I can learn the differences and advantages of DIY adapters and etc.?

You can buy the complete package sans the anamorphic scope itself here:
https://www.rapidotechnology.com/products/full-package

The anamorphic scope though can be bought on eBay or on Facebook. I bought mine off of the anamorphic shooters' facebook group— a good resource—here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/anamorphicshooters/


Ellory Yu wrote:
Note Suwanchote wrote:The cheapest build on s35 is probably DIY from a company such as Rapido or Rectilux.
Here's the Ursa Mini Pro 12K in that configuration:
Image

The main pieces are a Rapiod FVD-16A + ISCO Ultra Star Red + taking lens.
The taking lens in the photo above is a Tamron 45mm (this is the first time I've tried it) but I personally generally use the Nikon 50mm e or my preferred one, the Sigma Art 50mm.

Quite a nifty setup. I like it and the images too.


Thanks!


Here's a sample video of the G2 + Nikon 50 e. Should have 12K anamorphic up soon.
https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/327807189
lightformfilm.com
vimeo.com/Suwanchote
Offline
User avatar

Adam Langdon

  • Posts: 478
  • Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:15 pm
  • Location: Ohio USA

Re: Which Anamorphic lenses do you use with BM Cameras?

PostThu Apr 22, 2021 6:47 pm



i would stay away from that website. It's overpriced.

My setup is about $2800 with the taking lens:
SLR Magic 50mm APO Microprime, Kowa 16-H in Rapido FMJ, and a Rectilux HardcoreDNA
Here's some clips of other DIY anamorphic setups i've done...







Ursa Mini Pro G2 - Pocket 6K Pro - Vintage Russian Glass - Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 - Modular Anamorphic
Offline
User avatar

bmpcc6k

  • Posts: 65
  • Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:53 am
  • Location: Yerevan
  • Real Name: haik yan

Re: Which Anamorphic lenses do you use with BM Cameras?

PostFri Apr 23, 2021 1:47 am

Note Suwanchote wrote:You can buy the complete package sans the anamorphic scope itself here:
https://www.rapidotechnology.com/products/full-package

The anamorphic scope though can be bought on eBay or on Facebook. I bought mine off of the anamorphic shooters' facebook group— a good resource—here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/anamorphicshooters/


Thanks, will review this website soon and i guess i will have some questions regarded to you
BMPCC6K Pro / Sigma 18-35mm / Sigma 24-105mm / SLR Magic Anamorphot-50 1.33x Anamorphic Adapter
Offline
User avatar

bmpcc6k

  • Posts: 65
  • Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:53 am
  • Location: Yerevan
  • Real Name: haik yan

Re: Which Anamorphic lenses do you use with BM Cameras?

PostFri Apr 23, 2021 1:49 am

Adam Langdon wrote:i would stay away from that website. It's overpriced.

My setup is about $2800 with the taking lens:
SLR Magic 50mm APO Microprime, Kowa 16-H in Rapido FMJ, and a Rectilux HardcoreDNA
Here's some clips of other DIY anamorphic setups i've done...



I am agree with you, it's overpriced.
How did you bought all your mentioned anamorphic stuff?
BMPCC6K Pro / Sigma 18-35mm / Sigma 24-105mm / SLR Magic Anamorphot-50 1.33x Anamorphic Adapter
Offline
User avatar

bmpcc6k

  • Posts: 65
  • Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:53 am
  • Location: Yerevan
  • Real Name: haik yan

Re: Which Anamorphic lenses do you use with BM Cameras?

PostFri Apr 23, 2021 1:51 am

Gary Collins wrote:Hi buddy

No photo of rig but I use old BMPC 4k with a Hypergonar 2x and sometimes a diopter on the front (from +0.5 to +4). It means double focus so not very practical for speedy work but it's still nice. Here's a clip ps anyone can tell me how to attach pic? Thanks.


I like the image, can you share the links of purchased accessories?
BMPCC6K Pro / Sigma 18-35mm / Sigma 24-105mm / SLR Magic Anamorphot-50 1.33x Anamorphic Adapter
Offline
User avatar

bmpcc6k

  • Posts: 65
  • Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:53 am
  • Location: Yerevan
  • Real Name: haik yan

Re: Which Anamorphic lenses do you use with BM Cameras?

PostFri Apr 23, 2021 1:54 am

Today i am planning to do some test with
BMPCC6K Pro + Sigma 18-35mm + SLR Magic Anamorphot-50 1.33x Anamorphic Adapter (at this time it's the only anamorphic adapter which i have), if i will get good results will share it here :)
BMPCC6K Pro / Sigma 18-35mm / Sigma 24-105mm / SLR Magic Anamorphot-50 1.33x Anamorphic Adapter
Offline

Gary Collins

  • Posts: 51
  • Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:46 pm

Re: Which Anamorphic lenses do you use with BM Cameras?

PostFri Apr 23, 2021 8:19 am

Hi Buddy

Good luck with shooting today! Here are some links.

1 - The Hypergonar Anamorphic Adapter

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324165385151 ... SwGLdeuWbH

Be warned - the Hypergonar is massive and heavy, but it is lovely.

2 - The +0.5 Diopter was bought from here

https://www.rapidotechnology.com/

Be warned - this guys makes lots of stuff, maybe you can find something very suitable.

3 - The +1, +2 etc Diopter set

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191228780336 ... SwnDZT9z11

Very cheap little set but useful, not bad at all!


Good luck buddy, have fun!
Offline
User avatar

bmpcc6k

  • Posts: 65
  • Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:53 am
  • Location: Yerevan
  • Real Name: haik yan

Re: Which Anamorphic lenses do you use with BM Cameras?

PostSat Apr 24, 2021 1:41 am

Gary Collins wrote:Hi Buddy

Good luck with shooting today! Here are some links.



Thanks man.
BMPCC6K Pro / Sigma 18-35mm / Sigma 24-105mm / SLR Magic Anamorphot-50 1.33x Anamorphic Adapter
Offline

Chris Shivers

  • Posts: 343
  • Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:12 am

Re: Which Anamorphic lenses do you use with BM Cameras?

PostSat Apr 24, 2021 12:43 pm

bmpcc6k wrote:
Phil999 wrote:I use the 24mm, 35mm and 50mm from Sirui with the pocket 4k camera. I'm not sure how this translates to the pocket 6k.


Sirui is great for they price and very sharp, but they give only 1.33x but i need 2x,
besides that they don't make for S35/FF sensors with EF mount which is sad,
that's why i think i need to go with DIY setup.

Suiri actually does fit s35 sensors, with zcam s6 you can swap in a mft and use suiri with it. I wish BM would make a mft for the ursa so that would be possible

Return to Cinematography

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: JordanWright and 29 guests