BMPCC 4/6/6PK camera 7.3 update

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Itrofnoc

Re: BMPCC 4k 7.3 update problems

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 12:02 am

With the new version I have no more focus setting (by wire/manual) for some of my (MFT) lenses, i.e. 14-45 Panasonic, and no more optical lens stabilization (option to turn it on greyed out). :cry:
I went back to 6.9 and now everything is working fine again. :)

Ectomorphicus

Re: BMPCC 4/6/6PK camera 7.3 update

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 12:25 am

gasnik wrote:Viltrox EF-M2 II is not working with 7.3. I've tried 3.5 (newest) software for Viltrox, than downgraded to 3.3 and 2.3 - no luck.

No software = no love

Same here, no luck with my Viltrox EF-M2 ii + Sigma 18-35 on my P4K, but then again I haven't tried many things aside from just remounting the speedbooster. If I do that a few times, then iris control will stay, otherwise it just pops up for a split second then goes away. I can't keep doing that every time I turn on my camera, especially if I'm somewhere I can't set the camera down safely. And with a support holding up some of the weight of the lens under the speedbooster, I can't keep unmounting it. Gen 5 looks great with the extended video lut just from what I glanced at it, but I need to downgrade for now.
My PC Specs:
-Ryzen 7 3700X 8-core Processor
-XFX AMD RX 6700XT 12GB GPU
-32gb Memory
-512gb M.2 SSD

Paul McMurrick

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 12:33 am

Thanks to those who have posted pointing out the bugs in relation to 3rd party len/speedbooster issues. Will just have to hang off till they are resolved. Viltrox have never been that quick to respond in this setting :o

Mike Potton

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 1:04 am

So there are reports from here and on FB that lens control is breaking across mounts/cameras

-Tamron G2 lenses not auto focusing via metabones on P4K and not auto focusing on 6K/6kPro via native EF
-Canon L series lenses not auto focusing via metabones XL
-Viltrox adapters not working at all
-Some native Olympus MFT lenses not auto focusing
-Alot of native MFT Lumix lenses not auto focusing are unable to activate OIS and unable to use focus by wire manual focus. 14mm-45mm, 12-35mm, 35-100, plus some primes have been mentioned

Granted there are a zillion lens combinations so some slack is to be expected, but it just feels like two steps forward one step back with these updates...

Along similar lines how was it possible that no-one tested if LUT's could be loaded onto the 6kPro before it was launched? :shock:

These updates reglaurly have enough bugs to called betas and should be labelled as such to align expectations and reduce backlash.
Last edited by Mike Potton on Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eugenia Loli

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 1:29 am

Speaking as an ex-computer software developer: What the metabones/viltrox and even MFT lens bugs tell me is that the bmpcc4k's development right now is running on fumes, and on the back of the 6kpro (since they share more than they have differences of). Hence poorly tested lens-oriented backported changes broke things.

I hope we get an update for the bmpcc4k very soon (and why not show some love for the Ursa G2 too?).
Collage artist, illustrator, filmmaker: https://vimeo.com/eugenia

Phil999

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 4:24 am

I did some tests with my non-manual lenses, and they all seem to work fine. Iris control, auto aperture, auto focus, image stabilisation. Flawless function combined with one or two macro extension as well. I'm sorry that there are problems with other MFT lenses and adapters.

- Panasonic 12-32mm f/3.5-5.6
- Panasonic 45-175mm f/4.0-5.6
- Panasonic 100-300mm F4.0-5.6 II

Although in one event, iris control and auto focus was lost with the 100-300mm and two macro extensions. Rebooting the P4k, and full control was back. I don't remember I ever saw something like this.

Ellory Yu

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 6:17 am

Eugenia Loli wrote:Speaking as an ex-computer software developer: What the metabones/viltrox and even MFT lens bugs tell me is that the bmpcc4k's development right now is running on fumes, and on the back of the 6kpro (since they share more than they have differences of). Hence poorly tested lens-oriented backported changes broke things.

I hope we get an update for the bmpcc4k very soon (and why not show some love for the Ursa G2 too?).

From another computer software engineer, I concur with everything said here. No issues with my P6K. Do need that love for the G2 soon.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

rickyissak

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 7:34 am

I regret upgrading because I didn't realize that I wouldn't be able to shoot in gen 4 after upgrade...

This is important for me because I monitor with phantom luts which is based on gen 4.

It's simply an amazing lut that makes shooting so much more enjoyable.

If anyone else is in a similar position and has a preferred lut for monitoring purposes, know this before you upgrade.

Also the screen calibrating tool is very hard to use...it messes with my brain's auto white balance.

WahWay

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 7:41 am

BMPCC4K with metabones SB autofocus is abysmal with firmware ver 7.3. A new firmware hopefully can address this or Metabones release its own firmware update.

Sami Sanpakkila

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 10:11 am

I just updated my Pocket 4K and I can't seem to be able to open the files in Premiere Pro. I do have the latest 2.0 Blackmagic RAW installed. Correction I actually have 2.1 beta installed...

Is this expected?

EDIT/ OK, I installed the beta 2.1b4 and now they work again...
Last edited by Sami Sanpakkila on Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

roger.magnusson

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 10:22 am

Mike Potton wrote:-Some native Olympus MFT lenses not auto focusing
-Alot of native MFT Lumix lenses not auto focusing are unable to activate OIS and unable to use focus by wire manual focus. 14mm-45mm, 12-35mm, 35-100, plus some primes have been mentioned

My experience differs from those reports. Hard to know why without specifics. Maybe they are using old lens firmware. I have tested every MFT lens I own, they all work perfectly in 7.3, including the 12-35 and several Olympus lenses.

Iris control: Works
Autofocus: Works
Fly by wire manual focus: Works
Fly by wire manual focus with the Olympus manual focus clutch engaged: Works
Image stabilisation (Olympus 12-100 and Panasonic 12-35): Works

These are the lenses I tested (all lenses have the latest available firmware):
  • Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm f/2
  • Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 25mm f/1.2 PRO
  • Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 45mm f/1.2 PRO
  • Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm f/1.8
  • Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12‑100mm f/4 IS PRO (IS works, but can't be turned off in the camera, only on the lens)
  • Panasonic Lumix G 14mm f/2.5 ASPH. (Mark I version)
  • Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm f/2.8 ASPH. POWER O.I.S. (Mark I version)

If it matters, this is on an early Pocket 4K (not one of those that can't be downgraded to a firmware with DNG).

Francisco Bartolomé

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 11:29 am

Dear Roger.magnusson can you send the links to upgrade Olympus and Panasonic lenses?

smunaut

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 11:34 am

So I tried the couple of lenses I have on my BMPCC4k (very recent one, got it like under 2 months):

- Panasonic Lumix G Vario 12-60mm f/3.5-5.6 Asph. Power O.I.S ( H-FS12060E )
- Panasonic Lumix 25mm f/1.7 Asph ( H-H025E-K )

For both the iris control works fine and the focus by wire also works fine. I also have the option for image stabilisation show up in the menu to toggle on/off (not sure how to really check if it doesn anything though ).

Autofocus is definitely a bit hit or miss on both ... but then again, it was also that way before the update, not sure if it's really better or worse now.
Resolve Studio - Ryzen 5800X3D - AMD RX6600 / NVidia RTX 4070 (switching between the 2) - Linux

Ulysses Paiva

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 12:18 pm

Ectomorphicus wrote:
gasnik wrote:Viltrox EF-M2 II is not working with 7.3. I've tried 3.5 (newest) software for Viltrox, than downgraded to 3.3 and 2.3 - no luck.

No software = no love

Same here, no luck with my Viltrox EF-M2 ii + Sigma 18-35 on my P4K, but then again I haven't tried many things aside from just remounting the speedbooster. If I do that a few times, then iris control will stay, otherwise it just pops up for a split second then goes away. I can't keep doing that every time I turn on my camera, especially if I'm somewhere I can't set the camera down safely. And with a support holding up some of the weight of the lens under the speedbooster, I can't keep unmounting it. Gen 5 looks great with the extended video lut just from what I glanced at it, but I need to downgrade for now.

So, its clearly something going on with the camera?
Ulysses Paiva

roger.magnusson

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 12:40 pm

Francisco Bartolomé wrote:Dear Roger.magnusson can you send the links to upgrade Olympus and Panasonic lenses?
Olympus
Panasonic

Note that you need an Olympus or Panasonic body to perform the update.

Johannes Jonsson

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 1:43 pm

Also to add, gimbals that had camera control for the pocket also lost all control.
It is expected possibility that third party products may need new firmware to get up and running again and it could take few days.
This is not flawed firmware in my opinion, this is just a firmware upgrade that other vendors need to adapt to, a pretty common thing.
I wish they got heads up on it thought from BM so they can have their ready in time or at least soon after they publish new firmware, maybe they did.
Johannes

smunaut

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 2:46 pm

How do gimbal communicate with the camera ?

Isn't that with bluetooth ? I didn't think the BT protocol changed.
Resolve Studio - Ryzen 5800X3D - AMD RX6600 / NVidia RTX 4070 (switching between the 2) - Linux

Robert Niessner

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 2:50 pm

smunaut wrote:How do gimbal communicate with the camera ?

The DJI RS 2 uses an USB-C cable for communication with the camera.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Wickedgt720

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 3:21 pm

As far as the BMPCC4K Viltrox speed booster goes and not having iris control. I have gotten mine to work and it's worth trying to get the iris to work.
To Fix: Turn on camera, dismount lens, connect lens again, dismount lens again, connect lens back. Now the iris control should work.

Ellory Yu

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 3:34 pm

Wickedgt720 wrote:As far as the BMPCC4K Viltrox speed booster goes and not having iris control. I have gotten mine to work and it's worth trying to get the iris to work.
To Fix: Turn on camera, dismount lens, connect lens again, dismount lens again, connect lens back. Now the iris control should work.

I guess if you want to do this it will be at your own risk. Dismounting lenses from a BMD Pocket while the camera power is on can be harmful to the camera - as I have encountered this before. As a general rule, probably not a practical one, dismounting anything, including SDI cables on Ursa, while a BMD camera power is on can lead to possible consequences.
Last edited by Ellory Yu on Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

John Brawley

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 3:34 pm

Johannes Jonsson wrote:This is not flawed firmware in my opinion, this is just a firmware upgrade that other vendors need to adapt to, a pretty common thing.

Indeed.

Seems like a lot of the issues are around viltrox, and not so much on the meta bones for example.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Rrrbbb

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 3:48 pm

Who ever's fault it is it means many of us will be excluded from the update and gen5 until it is fixed. I don't think putting the blame entirely on Viltrox is right since their product was working fine until this update to the camera...

Ulysses Paiva

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 3:50 pm

John Brawley wrote:
Johannes Jonsson wrote:This is not flawed firmware in my opinion, this is just a firmware upgrade that other vendors need to adapt to, a pretty common thing.

Indeed.

Seems like a lot of the issues are around viltrox, and not so much on the meta bones for example.

JB

John, there are reports of problems with another lenses, native, and gimbal connection. So, likely the issue originates with the camera, not an specific 3rd party product.
Ulysses Paiva

Johannes Jonsson

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 4:24 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:
smunaut wrote:How do gimbal communicate with the camera ?

The DJI RS 2 uses an USB-C cable for communication with the camera.

Also does Crane 3s
Johannes

Francisco Bartolomé

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 4:31 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:
Francisco Bartolomé wrote:Dear Roger.magnusson can you send the links to upgrade Olympus and Panasonic lenses?
Olympus
Panasonic

Note that you need an Olympus or Panasonic body to perform the update.

Thanks for the links.

Ellory Yu

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 5:40 pm

Can't put the burden on the 3rd parties. This is BMD lack of resources to test all the common types of adaptions available for the camera - mostly the bottom of the barrel brands like Viltrox and Tamron, as well as products like certain model speed boosters, kit electronic lenses, and probably communication channels to gimbals as well. Should they have these resources tested frequently, absolutely. Do I expect them to do so, no. So if you buy their cameras, buy adapting products that is known to consistently work with them - like, for example, speed booster from Metabones, or a Sigma ART or Canon L lenses if you want to have electronics or Manual lenses. I don't like to hear this myself but sometimes it just is the reality of things.

focuspulling

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 6:04 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:Can't put the burden on the 3rd parties. This is BMD lack of resources to test all the common types of adaptions available for the camera - mostly the bottom of the barrel brands like Viltrox and Tamron, as well as products like certain model speed boosters, kit electronic lenses, and probably communication channels to gimbals as well. Should they have these resources tested frequently, absolutely. Do I expect them to do so, no. So if you buy their cameras, buy adapting products that is known to consistently work with them - like, for example, speed booster from Metabones, or a Sigma ART or Canon L lenses if you want to have electronics or Manual lenses. I don't like to hear this myself but sometimes it just is the reality of things.

Ellory, while one can agree with that, there is a much much simpler issue here: all of these reported lens problems didn't exist before the update. If it were up to a vote, the vague improvements to auto-focus and lens compatibility listed in the 7.3 update would just roll back to the way they were, but keeping all the other good stuff from 7.3. Seems VERY reasonable (and easy).
Paul Moon | FocusPulling (.com) | On the art & technology of filmmaking
www.focuspulling.com | facebook.com/focuspulling | @focuspulling

Gavin Nugent

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 7:04 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:
Mike Potton wrote:-Some native Olympus MFT lenses not auto focusing

My experience differs from those reports. Hard to know why without specifics. Maybe they are using old lens firmware. I have tested every MFT lens I own, they all work perfectly in 7.3, including the 12-35 and several Olympus lenses.

Iris control: Works
Autofocus: Works
Fly by wire manual focus: Works
Fly by wire manual focus with the Olympus manual focus clutch engaged: Works
Image stabilisation (Olympus 12-100 and Panasonic 12-35): Works

These are the lenses I tested (all lenses have the latest available firmware):
  • Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm f/2
  • Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 25mm f/1.2 PRO
  • Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 45mm f/1.2 PRO
  • Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm f/1.8
  • Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12‑100mm f/4 IS PRO (IS works, but can't be turned off in the camera, only on the lens)
  • Panasonic Lumix G 14mm f/2.5 ASPH. (Mark I version)
  • Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm f/2.8 ASPH. POWER O.I.S. (Mark I version)

If it matters, this is on an early Pocket 4K (not one of those that can't be downgraded to a firmware with DNG).

Just to follow on from this

Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm F2/8 Pro

Both work fine on 7.3

smunaut

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 7:35 pm

What I don't get is that the MFT communication protocol is supposed to be standard ... so someone, somewhere isn't following the spec ... hard to tell who though since (1) the spec isn't public and (2) observing the communication is non trivial ...

The gimbal control seems like a completely different issue. I've never seen any technical documentation for a USB communication protocol allowing controlling the camera. (like the BT protocol has official docs, right there in the manual, but nothing mentions USB control). So either they got official spec from BMD (or I just missed some public ones ?) and they should have been notified of any update to release an upgraded fw for their product. Or they just reversed something that was meant to be BMD internal in which case, tough luck, don't base your products on reversed engineered stuff that can change at any time.

Ellory Yu

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 9:02 pm

focuspulling wrote:while one can agree with that, there is a much much simpler issue here: all of these reported lens problems didn't exist before the update. If it were up to a vote, the vague improvements to auto-focus and lens compatibility listed in the 7.3 update would just roll back to the way they were, but keeping all the other good stuff from 7.3. Seems VERY reasonable (and easy).

They must have found something that need to update the coding for lenses. IDK. Yeah, you're suggestion is reasonable but if it will impact the other good stuff, let's just wait for BMD to get a fix out. As I said, this is not on the 3rd party to deal with. BMD has to fix (or retract them like you said) updates. Hoping a 7.3.1 is around the corner.

Ellory Yu

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 9:24 pm

With all this reported problems here and on social media (FB, Etc.), had BMD put out any response? Is it specifically on the P4K, or other Pockets affected as well? I have a P6K and very interested in the new features but I hesitate to update until there's confirmation if the problem is just isolated to the P4K. I don't want to update and then find issues while I'm during my project.

javier forza

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 9:28 pm

For those that need the latest firmware - I did a downgrade waiting for the fix because I work every day - its the same pressing the release button in front of the camera twice and when you see the iris information in the screen - do it fast - move the iris dialing. Its better than wear the mount.

Mike Potton

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 9:47 pm

John Brawley wrote:

Indeed.

JB

It's bigger than that, all gimbals now don't work with usb control. Some lenses are not auto focusing, with meta bones and with native EF on the 6k's

I have confirmed with my own eyes the focus by wire failure (a Lumix 14-140), the only MFT lens I could get ahold of. When you trigger auto focus and it can't find focus then it knocks out focus by wire until a power down. Rendering the lens useless, auto focus doesn't work and manual focus doesn't work.

Again, it's about managing expectations. The release notes state better auto focus and active lens control when the reality seems to be that both are far worse than the previous version.

Next time releasing updates as a beta 'use at your own risk' would manage expectations.

Or with a known issues segment in the release notes
-gimbal control no longer works over usb
-Viltrox adapters will no longer work
-Some MFT lenses might lose focus by wire
-Some EF lenses via metabones or native EF will no longer autofocus.

That would also manage expectations, people using workflows using any of the above would know to not update.

This happens far too often (The UMP G1 update that caused artifacts in the highlights and created unusable braw files when using certain iso's comes to mind) and it really does ruin the vibe of what are otherwise totally awesome and generous updates that sets BMD apart.

Manage expectations or implement a proper testing regime and the perception that BMD has a QC problem will fade away...

lost_soul

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 10:28 pm

Any chance that there is a work around for loading the firmware rather than camera update like copying it to an SD card and loading it from the camera? I don't own any apple and the only windows I have is a VM running on my server. I have other USB devices like my TV remote where I can just redircet the USB from the VM to the RDP client on my Linux box but Camera setup doesn't see the camera even though Linux has no issue talking to it.
Centos 8
RX 580
AMDGPU-pro
Studio (What ever the latest is)

Shaoyan

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 11:30 pm

I use metabones EF-M43 Smart T adapter, the one without the glasses. I also had issues with auto focus. It tried but ends up with out of focus most of the times. I used the ef 40mm STM lens.

The auto iris never worked even with firmware version 6.9.6. It just opens and closes from the smallest to the widest, never stops in the middle. It is good the iris dial works well.

I also found the peaking lines are fainter than before.

I am reverting back to 6.9.6. I think the peaking is more important than other features in the new firmware.

Edit: reverted back to 6.9.6: auto focus works perfectly.

the new firmware not only broke the viltrox adapter, it broke the metabones as well at least the non-speedbooster version.

smunaut

PostWed Apr 28, 2021 4:50 am

lost_soul wrote:Any chance that there is a work around for loading the firmware rather than camera update like copying it to an SD card and loading it from the camera? I don't own any apple and the only windows I have is a VM running on my server. I have other USB devices like my TV remote where I can just redircet the USB from the VM to the RDP client on my Linux box but Camera setup doesn't see the camera even though Linux has no issue talking to it.

AFAIK the updater is the only solution. And I would definitely not update with a VM (unless you do pci passthrough of a complete USB controller).

Just from the windows sound, I can see the camera does multiple attach / detach cycle during the update process so any attempt of manually passing through the device would probably fail early on, possibly leaving your with an incomplete firmware flash.

I had to dig out an old eee-pc from 10y ago and update it to windows 10 just to run the camera app and update the firmware.

Paul McMurrick

PostWed Apr 28, 2021 6:13 am

Ulysses Paiva wrote:
John Brawley wrote:

Indeed.

JB

John, there are reports of problems with another lenses, native, and gimbal connection. So, likely the issue originates with the camera, not an specific 3rd party product.

Really ? Seems to be some pretty clear complaint about Metabones in the thread earlier

smunaut

PostWed Apr 28, 2021 7:39 am

Speaking of focus on 7.3, I could swear previously when powering off/on again the camera, the focus point wouldn't change. Here I'm pretty sure it goes out of focus / changes focus when booting the camera.

Jeffrey D Mathias

PostWed Apr 28, 2021 8:55 am

With pocket 4K the update works nicely. Works with Canon 100-400 IS L and metabones (non-optical) adapter. Now maybe URSA mini pro G1. I plan to give a better look at Q1 and Q3 this weekend. I did not notice in the new manual any comparison of Q1 and Q3 to Q0 and Q5 or even the graphic it had for the various compressions. Are these new variable compressions to max at 1:1 and 3:1??? And if 1:1 is that not Q0???

One thing though is I would very much appreciate if the scale for false color could be switched off and on. I would like to be able to turn it off because I have memorized the colors already. In the mean time I guess I can use a clean feed for the camera monitor but would be nice to have other info and turn the scale off. Thanks.
AMD Threadripper 1950x 16-core 3.4 GHz
96 GB Crucial DDR4 2666 ECC UDIMM RAM
AsRock Fatal1ty x399 motherboard
AMD Radeon Pro WX 8200 GPU
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit version 22H2, build 19045.3208
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
iPad Pro M2

Robert Niessner

PostWed Apr 28, 2021 10:37 am

Jeffrey D Mathias wrote:I plan to give a better look at Q1 and Q3 this weekend. I did not notice in the new manual any comparison of Q1 and Q3 to Q0 and Q5 or even the graphic it had for the various compressions. Are these new variable compressions to max at 1:1 and 3:1??? And if 1:1 is that not Q0???

PCC4k / PCC6k / PCC6k Pro with Firmware 7.3
Q0 based on 2:1 – 4:1
Q1 based on 2.5:1 – 6:1
Q3 based on 3.5:1 – 9:1
Q5 based on 6:1 – 15:1

UMP12k only:
Q0 based on 5:1 – 12:1
Q1 based on 8:1 – 20:1
Q3 based on 12:1 – 30:1
Q5 based on 16:1 – 40:1

UMP G1 & G2 and Pockets with Firmware before 7.3:
Q0 based on 2:1 – 5:1
Q5 based on 7:1 – 20:1
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

MrHotter

PostWed Apr 28, 2021 1:12 pm

So far so good for me for auto focus and auto exposure on my MFT lenses.

My configuration:
Pocket 4k camera-
Panasonic 45-150 4.0-5.6
Panasonic Power Zoom 14-42 3.5-5.6
Panasonic 25 1.8

Have people had some lenses work and some not work on the same camera? I'm wondering if it is based on the lens, or if the update is not working on some cameras.

My MFT lenses are cheep Panasonic lenses, so they may all have similar builds.
Mac mini
Apple M1 chip with 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, and 16-core Neural Engine
16GB unified memory
512GB internal SSD storage
various external drives

rick.lang

BMPCC 4/6/6PK camera 7.3 update

PostWed Apr 28, 2021 2:10 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:
PCC4k / PCC6k / PCC6k Pro with Firmware 7.3
Q0 based on 2:1 – 4:1
Q1 based on 2.5:1 – 6:1
Q3 based on 3.5:1 – 9:1
Q5 based on 6:1 – 15:1

The power of the Q qualitative compression versus quantitative compression is that Q has the potential to give you better results than any of the corresponding fixed ratios when the scene benefits from it, but can give savings in media and storage consumption.

I like that although Q0 can possibly cause dropped frames if the media cannot keep up with the equivalent increase in bitrate. In practice, I find it uses less resources and is less demanding of the media for what I shoot so I haven’t had dropped frames.
Rick Lang

hhdima

PostWed Apr 28, 2021 3:43 pm

smunaut wrote:Speaking of focus on 7.3, I could swear previously when powering off/on again the camera, the focus point wouldn't change. Here I'm pretty sure it goes out of focus / changes focus when booting the camera.

Yes, I've noticed the same. I use BMPCC 4K with Leica 12-60mm as a webcam. And now with 7.3 it always starts with focus distance of around 80-90mm so it needs full refocus every time.

lost_soul

PostWed Apr 28, 2021 9:29 pm

smunaut wrote:
lost_soul wrote:Any chance that there is a work around for loading the firmware rather than camera update like copying it to an SD card and loading it from the camera? I don't own any apple and the only windows I have is a VM running on my server. I have other USB devices like my TV remote where I can just redircet the USB from the VM to the RDP client on my Linux box but Camera setup doesn't see the camera even though Linux has no issue talking to it.

AFAIK the updater is the only solution. And I would definitely not update with a VM (unless you do pci passthrough of a complete USB controller).

Just from the windows sound, I can see the camera does multiple attach / detach cycle during the update process so any attempt of manually passing through the device would probably fail early on, possibly leaving your with an incomplete firmware flash.

I had to dig out an old eee-pc from 10y ago and update it to windows 10 just to run the camera app and update the firmware.

Thanks for the response. That was usefull information.
Centos 8
RX 580
AMDGPU-pro

Shaoyan

PostWed Apr 28, 2021 10:33 pm

hhdima wrote:
smunaut wrote:Speaking of focus on 7.3, I could swear previously when powering off/on again the camera, the focus point wouldn't change. Here I'm pretty sure it goes out of focus / changes focus when booting the camera.

Yes, I've noticed the same. I use BMPCC 4K with Leica 12-60mm as a webcam. And now with 7.3 it always starts with focus distance of around 80-90mm so it needs full refocus every time.

Hi Dmitrii,

quick question, I am looking to buy leica 12-60mm lens for P4K. are you able to manually focus while the lens is set at AF mode?

thanks

Jeffrey D Mathias

PostWed Apr 28, 2021 11:57 pm

thanks Robert
AMD Threadripper 1950x 16-core 3.4 GHz
96 GB Crucial DDR4 2666 ECC UDIMM RAM
AsRock Fatal1ty x399 motherboard
AMD Radeon Pro WX 8200 GPU
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit version 22H2, build 19045.3208
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
iPad Pro M2

lost_soul

PostThu Apr 29, 2021 12:07 am

I am having an issue with the installer.on a borrowed laptop. It is fully patch on windows10 but I am getting the following error.

Install Cameras v7.3.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point Set ThreadDpiAwarenessContext could not be located in the dynamic link library

Then it gives the path to wixextba.dll in a temp directory. I checked the path and the file exists is 344kb and has a date of Jan 6 2021 3:05PM

Is there any thing I can do? I have down loadedd it a couple of times to make sure it wasn't corrupted during download.

It installed fine in a VM but couldn't see the camera. I have to admit compared to firmware updates in other cameras BMDs is a real PITA.
Centos 8
RX 580
AMDGPU-pro

smunaut

PostThu Apr 29, 2021 4:58 am

That's the exact same error I had when I tried running it on Windows 7 and why I had to update to Windows 10 ... (and also need Windows 10 x86_64, doesn't work in 32 bits either).

xchrisx

PostThu Apr 29, 2021 12:27 pm

Seems like Blackmagic don't give a sh*t about the firmwire problems.. what a terrible support. Perhaps I won't buy any Blackmagic product anymore.

Ellory Yu

PostThu Apr 29, 2021 1:20 pm

xchrisx wrote:Seems like Blackmagic don't give a sh*t about the firmwire problems.. what a terrible support. Perhaps I won't buy any Blackmagic product anymore.

It's typical for Blackmagic not to communicate about anything - it's like pulling teeth to get them to say anything. Having said that, I think they are working on fixing the issues and it will take some time before we will have a firmware update with the fixes. When that is available is when we will hear something from them. Welcome to the world of black magic. :lol:
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography