Pl mount adapters for BM 6k pro

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jambob4

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 10:31 am

Hello everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a pl mount for the blackmagic 6k pro. I am looking for one that I can take on and off depending on the project. And if also the adaptors work on the blackmagic 6k pro

rick.lang

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 2:51 pm

Oops disregard.
Last edited by rick.lang on Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Lang

John Brawley

Re: Pl mount adapters for BM 6k pro

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 3:33 pm

Jambob4 wrote:Hello everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a pl mount for the blackmagic 6k pro. I am looking for one that I can take on and off depending on the project. And if also the adaptors work on the blackmagic 6k pro

Doesn't really exist.

The PL mod from wooden camera works really well and offers wide lens compatibility. BUT it's not meant to come on and off at all.

Rick's suggestion of the SLR magic adaptor is relevant to their own excellent APO lenses but works well. But that's all it works with.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Jambob4

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 3:39 pm

Okay great thank you for your help

dondidnod

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 10:22 pm

Given that the 6K Pro has ND filters that would get in the way, the better PL mount mount adapters may not work with it.

Edit - See further posts from John Brawley for proof that these filters are not an issue regarding compatibility with the Wooden Camera PL adapter.

I'm not sure that this helps if you already have a BMPCC 6K Pro, but here is some info I've found on this.
Although the 6K Pro is not listed, the BMPCC 6K is listed as compatible. You could check with them on this. If it does work, it would be very limited:

"Compatible Lenses:
Some PL Mount Lens (16mm or 35mm) with a shorter base (<14mm)"

Fotodiox Pro Lens Mount Adapter - Arri PL (Positive Lock) Mount Lens to Canon EOS (EF, EF-S) Mount SLR Camera Body
Sku: PL-EF-P UPC: 847372010226 $99.95 USD
https://fotodioxpro.com/collections/can ... ts/pl-ef-p

To allow the use of more PL mount lenses with longer protrusions, you might want to consider another camera.
There used to be a Kickstarter campaign for both the Bezamod "core mod" and the “deep mod”.

The "deep mod" worked with the FULL set of Cooke S4 minis, Super 16 and Atlas anamorphics unlike most adapters that don’t have enough space to work. This mod required the removal of the EF data pins, making it difficult to go back to EF. Although no longer available, the mod was $329 USD and the "core mod" was $225 USD. The Kickstarter campaign ended in 2019, but sometimes these modified BMPCC 6Ks show up on eBay.

Edit - John Brawley has proof that some S16 and all Atlas Orion anamorphic lenses are compatible with the Wooden Camera PL mount adapter on a 6K Pro.

This company used to rework Blackmagic URSA Mini cameras to accept PL mount lenses and allow them to switch back and forth with EF mounts before Blackmagic offered that option.

Bezamod P6K – Mount PL Lenses on your BMPCC 6K Camera
https://www.cined.com/bezamod-p6k-mount ... 6k-camera/

PL Mount Users Can Shoot Using This Adapter on Kickstarter
https://nofilmschool.com/pl-mount-users ... ickstarter

" Bezamod " - PL Mount for Your Pocket 6K and URSA Mini!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cl ... k-pl-mount

Here is some information on the Wooden Camera PL Mount Modification Kit. I searched their website and could not find any information on compatibility of this kit with the BMPCC 6K Pro. This article is dated from 2019, shortly after the introduction of the BMPCC 6K.

"If you choose to go back to EF mount in the future, you can do it by reversing steps in the process, however, Wooden Camera warns that switching back and forth will eventually strip the plastic in your camera as the sensor block is made of a composite plastic material."

Use PL Mount Lenses on BMPCC 6K With This Adapter
https://www.4kshooters.net/2019/10/09/u ... s-adapter/

The Wooden PL mount is not compatible with lenses with a rear protrusion longer than 40mm, measured from the PL flange.

Although this is a constraint, there are some affordable lenses that should fit. My Optex modified Cooke Varokinetal S16 10.8-60mm T3 lens has a rear protrusion of 30mm, measured from the PL flange. My S16 Kinoptik 5.7mm F/1.8 lens measures 33mm from it's flange, and my Cooke Kinetal 17.5mm F/1.8 measures 32mm from it's flange which should allow for enough room for an ARRI S mount to PL mount adapter for these lenses. The Helios 44-2 58mm F/2 M42 mount lens has a 17mm protrusion that has a 43mm outer diameter. The early Mir-1 37mm F/2.8 M42 mount lens has a 13mm protrusion that has a 48mm outer diameter. Although an M42 mount lens has a shorter ffd than the 52mm ffd of the PL mount, these lenses should fit inside an adapter that is recessed into the PL mount, to allow focus to infinity. A Vormaxlens adapter allows use some lenses with M42 mounting with outer diameter near screw mount up to 52.60mm and depth of this part from 8.60mm on cameras with Arri PL mount.
Last edited by dondidnod on Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Andreas Caemmerer

PostTue Jul 06, 2021 12:18 pm

Really would love to see a native 6k PL version coming from Blackmagic.

John Brawley

PostTue Jul 06, 2021 8:29 pm

dondidnod wrote:Given that the 6K Pro has ND filters that would get in the way, the better PL mount mount adapters may not work with it.

I'm not sure that this helps if you already have a BMPCC 6K Pro, but here is some info I've found on this.
Although the 6K Pro is not listed, the BMPCC 6K is listed as compatible. You could check with them on this. If it does work, it would be very limited:

This is totally wrong.

For example you mention Atlas as being not compatible. Well here’s and Atlas 25mm T2

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQ4-3cNLZq4/

For some reason there’s a myth that the ND filters mean it’s less compatible and get in the way.

It’s 100% wrong. And it keeps getting perpetuated.

The ND filters are BEHIND the sensor cover glass, which is in the same place that it is on every other BMD camera.

Once again the ND filters go between the existing sensor cover glass and the sensor.

If it works on a non pro it will work on the pro.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

adamroberts

PostWed Jul 07, 2021 5:32 pm

Jambob4 wrote:I was just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a pl mount for the blackmagic 6k pro. I am looking for one that I can take on and off depending on the project. And if also the adaptors work on the blackmagic 6k pro

As the 6K and 6K Pro are both EF mount you'll have limited success adapting PL mount lenses. Most of them have mounts that extends deep into the throat of the PL mount. Space that is abstracted by the EF mount's narrower opening.

You could you this: https://c7adapters.com/en/product/pl_-_ef_mount/61

But there are only a limited number of lenses that'll work. One little tip... vintage Arri B mount lenses like the early Super Speeds can be used with that adaptor if you install a slim PL to Arri B adaptor onto the lens. :-)

adamroberts

PostWed Jul 07, 2021 5:34 pm

This is the slim Arri B to PL adaptor.
https://c7adapters.com/en/product/arri_ ... _mount/136

timbutt2

PostWed Jul 07, 2021 10:46 pm

Here’s the video of me doing the Wooden Camera PL Modification on the Pocket 6K Pro. So far it’s worked great and I’ve had no issues with the internal ND.

Video:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

dondidnod

PostThu Jul 08, 2021 3:20 pm

That's a great video. I wish that Wooden Camera would update their site to list the BMPCC 6K Pro as being compatible with it. Then people like me would be less likely to make idle speculations about it, without testing it first.

In this video they showed the Atlas Orion 65mm anamorphic lens as a tease for the next video. I've heard that the 32mm Atlas Orion is very popular in the URSA Mini Pro, that would be cool if it was compatible. I saw that follow up video showing the PL modded BMPCC 6K with the Atlas Orion anamorphic lens. It was very impressive, with nice full screen blue flares. They didn't mention which Orion lenses were compatible with the mod however. In the comments they admitted that the Atlas Orion's were much sharper and crisper on the Alexa Mini, which has less resolution. They did however, adjust the shims after the video was shot to improve the focus.

I'm looking forward to hearing about the results from using Cooke S4 lenses. It looked like they have access to at least 5 of them shown in the video. I was told by the guy that sold me the Bezamod "deep mod" that competing solutions did not work with the full set of Cooke S4 mini primes. I was never able to verify this, though. The hardest test would be the Cooke Mini S4/i Primes (A.K.A. Panchro/i)(18mm, 25mm) and 21mm. Although Cooke lists all the Black magic URSAs as being compatible with the 18mm, 21mm and 25mm S4/I primes, they don't list the modded BMPCC 6K. That would be great news if you can use these lenses with the Wooden Camera PL mount conversion.

One interesting feature of the Cooke S4s is that they can be ordered with no coatings on the elements. That should increase the flaring, and maybe improve the bokeh, and 3D rendering, for a more vintage look.

One issue for the BMPCC 6K Pro user would be the high number of ones that need to be sent back for warranty repairs. Once you install the PL mod kit, you void your warranty.
Last edited by dondidnod on Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

John Brawley

PostThu Jul 08, 2021 3:39 pm

I’m currently using Orion anamorphic lenses with the 6KPro. They all work fine. All focal lengths. Including the unreleased prototype 25mm I posted above.

The sensor cover glass is the same distance away from the sensor on all BMD cameras. Any lens that fits on other cameras with regards to depth will fit on the P6K Pro.

If you reinstall the EF mount after you remove the wooden camera mount BMD would have no way of knowing you’d done the WC mod when retuning your camera for a warranty claim.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

dondidnod

PostThu Jul 08, 2021 4:16 pm

That's great news about the Atlas Orion comparability.
John Brawley wrote:If you reinstall the EF mount after you remove the wooden camera mount BMD would have no way of knowing you’d done the WC mod when retuning your camera for a warranty claim.

That was the point that this guy made at at 9:40 about the 6K Pro since there seems to be a lot of defective ones that will need warranty repairs, and this mod voids your warranty.

I converted my BMPCC 6K to a PL mount! And why I wouldn't do it for the BMPCC 6K Pro

John Brawley

PostThu Jul 08, 2021 4:28 pm

And to Paraphrase, "I asked Blackmagic if it voids the warranty and they said it would"

Which doesn't negate what I said.

If you convert your WC modded camera back into EF, BMD wouldn't be able to tell that you've done the mod.

Unless you do something that's mount specific like ripping the threads. Which of course IS a risk and IS one way this could go wrong.

Wooden camera also don't recommend going back and forth either.

But I would say that you could still get warranty issues dealt with. Just don't send it in with a PL mount on the front.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

timbutt2

PostThu Jul 08, 2021 7:48 pm

dondidnod wrote:That's a great video. I wish that Wooden Camera would update their site to list the BMPCC 6K Pro as being compatible with it. Then people like me would be less likely to make idle speculations about it, without testing it first.

In this video they showed the Atlas Orion 65mm anamorphic lens as a tease for the next video. I've heard that the 32mm Atlas Orion is very popular in the URSA Mini Pro, that would be cool if it was compatible. I saw that follow up video showing the PL modded BMPCC 6K with the Atlas Orion anamorphic lens. It was very impressive, with nice full screen blue flares. They didn't mention which Orion lenses were compatible with the mod however. In the comments they admitted that the Atlas Orion's were much sharper and crisper on the Alexa Mini, which has less resolution. They did however, adjust the shims after the video was shot to improve the focus.

I'm looking forward to hearing about the results from using Cooke S4 lenses. It looked like they have access to at least 5 of them shown in the video. I was told by the guy that sold me the Bezamod "deep mod" that competing solutions did not work with the full set of Cooke S4 mini primes. I was never able to verify this, though. The hardest test would be the Cooke Mini S4/i Primes (A.K.A. Panchro/i)(18mm, 25mm) and 21mm. Although Cooke lists all the Black magic URSAs as being compatible with the 18mm, 21mm and 25mm S4/I primes, they don't list the modded BMPCC 6K. That would be great news if you can use these lenses with the Wooden Camera PL mount conversion.

One interesting feature of the Cooke S4s is that they can be ordered with no coatings on the elements. That should increase the flaring, and maybe improve the bokeh, and 3D rendering, for a more vintage look.

One issue for the BMPCC 6K Pro user would be the high number of ones that need to be sent back for warranty repairs. Once you install the PL mod kit, you void your warranty.
Yes, I adjusted my shims after we did these videos. We skipped that step when making the videos in part because Christian was anxious to shoot with his Atlas lenses and had a model waiting. Took me a few hours to shim adjust and test, but it seems to be working great now with my DZOFilm lenses.

I’m pretty sure all the Atlas lenses will work. Christian only has the 40, 65, and 100 set. And, I wouldn’t attempt the 100 without a cage and lens support bracket since even with my UMPG2 and the Alexa Mini we use the lens support bracket for the 100 because it’s a big heavy boy.

Also, I shot those tests at Q5 so that may have contributed a bit to the softness as well. Next time I’ll try Q0 for the most clarity. Christian usually doesn’t do Film Jams episodes with RAW and even the music videos I’ve shot with him with my UMPG2 as a B-Cam I’ve used ProRes to go with the ProRes from his Alexa Mini.

AdvanceHD

PostThu Aug 19, 2021 5:15 pm

Does anyone know if the any of the Fujinon Cabrio (19-90 25-300, 85-300) series work on the BMPCC 6k & 6Kpro? I was hoping to use the Fotodiox adapter but hard to tell from what limited detail I can find on the 'net. Since my shoot is a one-off event using 3 BMPCC rentals, don't want to invest in multiple wooden camera upgrades for cams I don't own.

Shawn Convey

PostTue Sep 07, 2021 7:31 am

Vintage rehoused lenses compatible?
Wooden Camera has a compatible list of lenses BUT what about vintage rehoused lenses?
does anyone have any insight into this?

John Brawley

PostTue Sep 07, 2021 3:16 pm

Shawn Convey wrote:Vintage rehoused lenses compatible?
Wooden Camera has a compatible list of lenses BUT what about vintage rehoused lenses?
does anyone have any insight into this?

Which lenses?

The PL Mount adaptor gives you the best chance of using a PL mount lens. So far more often than not they are going to be fine.

If you're using an EF-->PL adaptor then I would say the opposite. More often than not it won't work.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Shawn Convey

PostTue Sep 07, 2021 3:26 pm

Thanks for the quick reply John.
and honestly I am not sure yet, I am beginning my search for lenses and if ones were not going to work then that may have been a deal breaker for me... unfortunately I am not currently in a part of the world where you can simply rent lenses or better yet go to a rental house and test for a day so I am trying to do as much virtual research now so when I get back to the US I can limit my search.

But while I have you, you may have some suggestions :-)
Looking for a fairly lightweight, fairly compact and fairly fast vintage zoom with nice character without being a "speciality lens" as far as the character goes. I do a lot of one man doc stuff and need as much versatility and compactness as possible. My first feature doc I shot with contax Zeiss CY lenses (Leitax mount converted) and I have been trying to decide between some Leica R (35-70 & 70 - 210) paired with a few fast primes (18, 50, 90) OR a vintage PL cinema lens (most guaranteed winners are out of my price range unfortunately).

Any thoughts?
Oh My thinking with PL is just moving forward it will allow me to have more pro options when budgets allow for bodies but I plan on using these likely on the p6k but I am also considering a ursa 12k now the price is down but am afraid it may be a bit heavy and large for my workflow.

John Brawley

PostTue Sep 07, 2021 3:53 pm

Shawn Convey wrote:Thanks for the quick reply John.
and honestly I am not sure yet, I am beginning my search for lenses and if ones were not going to work then that may have been a deal breaker for me... unfortunately I am not currently in a part of the world where you can simply rent lenses or better yet go to a rental house and test for a day so I am trying to do as much virtual research now so when I get back to the US I can limit my search.

But while I have you, you may have some suggestions :-)
Looking for a fairly lightweight, fairly compact and fairly fast vintage zoom with nice character without being a "speciality lens" as far as the character goes. I do a lot of one man doc stuff and need as much versatility and compactness as possible. My first feature doc I shot with contax Zeiss CY lenses (Leitax mount converted) and I have been trying to decide between some Leica R (35-70 & 70 - 210) paired with a few fast primes (18, 50, 90) OR a vintage PL cinema lens (most guaranteed winners are out of my price range unfortunately).

Any thoughts?
Oh My thinking with PL is just moving forward it will allow me to have more pro options when budgets allow for bodies but I plan on using these likely on the p6k but I am also considering a ursa 12k now the price is down but am afraid it may be a bit heavy and large for my workflow.

Couple of things.

A lot of people don't realise that the 12K can be made into EF with the very inexpensive BMD made EF mount adaptor.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... ro_ef.html

So you can EASILY make your 12K camera EF. Takes a few mins to change it and you can easily change back to PL when required.

When you mentioned vintage zooms, the ones you've mentioned are the ones that come to mind.

The Contax / Zeiss and the Leica.

Zoom and vintage is a bit tough because zooms in the past have been behind on what the best of primes can do of the same era.

Modern zooms are much much closer to what modern primes are.

Basically the ones you mentioned already would be my go to.

Zeiss make some decent CP series zooms and the newer Fuji MK series zooms are pretty interesting. And there's always Sigma. Very decent sharpness wise, maybe a bit on the bland side.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

timbutt2

PostTue Sep 07, 2021 4:21 pm

I do find it funny watching older movies these days and finding Chromatic Aberration. The Thing (1982) for example. Was re-watching because iTunes updated it to 4K HDR, and low and behold there it was; purple fringing.

So, as much as we pursue eliminating chromatic aberration from the modern lenses we seek to buy, we must remember it is a character of the lenses that were used in a lot of movies we loved.

I always looking back at the 60’s and 70’s to see how much the zoom was overused. Just because they could zoom they would, even if the shot didn’t dictate it. Either way, there’s some interesting character in those old zoom lenses, and they could be very useful for creating a look.

With the new 12K I’d be very interested to see what happens with vintage glass for an old style look. Say for example giving the grade a look to make it feel like it was the 1960’s. Could it be… Groovy Baby!

dondidnod

PostTue Sep 07, 2021 5:18 pm

I came across this comment on the Rafcamera.com site regarding an adapter for Vintage USSR Lomo lenses. I wonder if the solution found had an effect on infinity focus.

OCT-18 lens to Arri PL camera mount adapter SKU 0711332404304 $149.00 USD
This adapter works correctly with any OCT-18 lenses - it holds inner optical block still, and allows focusing mount of the lens rotate as it should.

Antoine B. wrote:

"The adapter was too thick
The adapter was too thick to get into the PL mount (wooden camera PL mount for bmpcc6k pro). I had to remove some of the thickness to make it fit. I don’t know if it’s coming from the mount which was new or the adapter! Once I removed the"
Last edited by dondidnod on Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Uli Plank

PostTue Sep 07, 2021 5:51 pm

The Zeiss Contax 28-85mm is a nice one. Easily adapted to EF
Only drawback: it’s a one-touch zoom. But for a variable prime it’s nice.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Shawn Convey

PostWed Sep 08, 2021 4:43 am

Uli Plank wrote:The Zeiss Contax 28-85mm is a nice one. Easily adapted to EF
Only drawback: it’s a one-touch zoom. But for a variable prime it’s nice.

When you say One Touch you mean that it is push and pull zoom right?
I had (and actually loved) the 35-70 Contax Zeiss CY which is f3.4 throughout but also push pull which makes it a bit difficult fort Matte boxes and the like but it produced really nice results. Do you happen to know how the 28-85 compares?

John Brawley wrote:A lot of people don't realize that the 12K can be made into EF with the very inexpensive BMD made EF mount adaptor.

Yeah, I know which is one of the things I love in concept about the 12k. I love shooting BRAW and have had many BMD cameras and am weighing the pros / cons with buying the 12k or 2 p6k Pros. I HATE rigging cameras and have had a hard time while on location in Sri Lanka to find the bits and bobs I need to make my current p4k and p6k work the way I like... BUT I am afraid the 12k will be just too big (I did have the OG Ursa Mini and really did like it)...

John Brawley wrote:When you mentioned vintage zooms, the ones you've mentioned are the ones that come to mind.
The Contax / Zeiss and the Leica.

Do you have any experience with the Angenieux 28-70mm F/2.6 I have been skeptical of the AF aspect of it but I know that for whatever reason it is a favorite for rehousing... I have used the 35-70 Angie for the Leica's and love that so if this had similar character that would be the sorta thing to build a lens kit around.

John Brawley wrote:Zeiss make some decent CP series zooms and the newer Fuji MK series zooms are pretty interesting. And there's always Sigma. Very decent sharpness wise, maybe a bit on the bland side.

When I am back in the US I hope to do some tests with the MK and CP I have owned the stills versions of the Sigma zooms and they are lovely but as you said bland... when I first got my vintage Angie and did a test I was blown away about how much more I love the vintage glass on the BMD sensor.

John Brawley wrote:Zoom and vintage is a bit tough because zooms in the past have been behind on what the best of primes can do of the same era.

Yes this is my dilemma... maybe I just need to embrace a choose a prime lens for a day (or scene) and live it with and make it work attitude, instead of trying to find this imaginary lens that has the character I desire.

Sorry I feel I took this topic a bit off track... was not my intent :-) I am still following for more PL news!

Uli Plank

PostWed Sep 08, 2021 7:08 am

The 28-85mm is at least as good as the 35-70mm, the 100-300mm too (the other zooms not that much). These are so close to primes, apart from speed.

There is a great thread about Zeiss Contax lenses over at reduser.net by Nick Morrison, the "The Contax Zeiss Survival Guide". I agree with most everything he has to say about that line of lenses, owning nearly all of them but the 21mm.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Shawn Convey

PostWed Sep 08, 2021 8:00 am

Uli Plank wrote:The 28-85mm is at least as good as the 35-70mm, the 100-300mm too (the other zooms not that much). These are so close to primes, apart from speed.

OK good to know... it would be nice to get a little wider than the 35 and the extra length is nice too... So I guess compared to the 35-70 it is just a bit slower and no Macro (which I love in theory but rarely use). :D

Uli Plank

PostWed Sep 08, 2021 11:00 am

For rare cases of macro, get a few extension rings and good prime.
If you need it more often, the 60mm f2.8 macro is a beast and doubles as a nice portrait prime.

Oh, and one-touch equals push/pull zoom.

John Brawley

PostWed Sep 08, 2021 1:18 pm

Shawn Convey wrote: BUT I am afraid the 12k will be just too big (I did have the OG Ursa Mini and really did like it)...

It's the same size you're used to ? I guess you know what you're getting into.

Shawn Convey wrote:
Do you have any experience with the Angenieux 28-70mm F/2.6 I have been skeptical of the AF aspect of it but I know that for whatever reason it is a favorite for rehousing... I have used the 35-70 Angie for the Leica's and love that so if this had similar character that would be the sorta thing to build a lens kit around.

I haven't, but I have heard people speak well of them. I wasn't even aware they did a stills lens like this. I feel like it was branded as a Tokina ? Or that there were two versions.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

John Brawley

PostWed Sep 08, 2021 1:20 pm

dondidnod wrote:That was the point that this guy made at at 9:40 about the 6K Pro since there seems to be a lot of defective ones that will need warranty repairs, and this mod voids your warranty.

Don't tell anyone I told you this, but if you were to convert the mount back and then send it in for repair, I'm 99% sure that BMD wouldn't be able to tell that you've done the mod.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Uli Plank

PostWed Sep 08, 2021 1:24 pm

There are different versions of that Tonika, only one of them is the Angenieux design and people are hunting for it. It is labeled as f 2.6-2.8.

Shawn Convey

PostWed Sep 08, 2021 2:22 pm

Uli Plank wrote:There are different versions of that Tonika, only one of them is the Angenieux design and people are hunting for it. It is labeled as f 2.6-2.8.

are the Tokina and Angie identical in optics? and do either of these lenses have that classic Angie look look or it it more "neutral" in character? (sorry for all the questions but you seem to know what you are talking about :-) )

Uli Plank

PostWed Sep 08, 2021 3:32 pm

Well, for me it looked quite similar to my Angie 20-80mm for Super-16. I didn't buy it because it has the some of the drawbacks of an AF lens, though. While you can focus manually, centering was pretty loose and the focus throw is relatively short. And then, you need the Nikon version to get an aperture ring. But as we all know, Nikon's focusing is reversed and pretty bad for muscle memory if you use other lenses too.
There should also be a Pentax version, which I never saw by myself. I don't know how well that adapts to EF, but there are adapters offered for it.

If it just an Angenieux design or if they produced the lenses is unclear to me, but here is one pretty well-informed article: cameragx.com/2018/04/11/the-truth-about-the-angenieux-28-70-af-zoom/

dondidnod

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 12:12 pm

dondidnod wrote:I came across this comment on the Rafcamera.com site regarding an adapter for Vintage USSR Lomo lenses. I wonder if the solution found had an effect on infinity focus.

OCT-18 lens to Arri PL camera mount adapter SKU 0711332404304 $149.00 USD
This adapter works correctly with any OCT-18 lenses - it holds inner optical block still, and allows focusing mount of the lens rotate as it should.

Antoine B. wrote:

"The adapter was too thick
The adapter was too thick to get into the PL mount (wooden camera PL mount for bmpcc6k pro). I had to remove some of the thickness to make it fit. I don’t know if it’s coming from the mount which was new or the adapter! Once I removed the"

I bought this Rafcamera adapter and tried to use it on my modified OG BMPCC 6K with a OCT-18 mount lens.

The depth of the OCT-18 lens to Arri PL camera mount adapter is 15mm from the camera side of the PL mount flange. 1mm needs to be milled from just the edge of the adapter to clear the bottom shoulder of the barrel shaped crevice. This barrel is cone shaped, and it would probably clear the 54mm diameter adapter if it didn't have this last shoulder molded in the plastic.
Here is a picture of the Wooden Camera BMPCC 6K PL Adapter.
WoodenPLBarrelA.jpg
Wooden Camera BMPCC 6K PL Adapter
WoodenPLBarrelA.jpg (42.54 KiB) Viewed 9723 times

The steel tang that holds the inner block still is about 16.33mm into the camera's barrel shaped crevice from the PL flange.

It looks like there may be enough clearance for this tang in the area where the lens electrical contacts have been removed on my Bezamod "deep mod" PL adapter.
Here is a picture of the Wooden Camera BMPCC 6K PL Adapter with the electrical contacts permanently removed.
WoodenPLBarrelB.jpg
Wooden Camera BMPCC 6K PL Adapter
WoodenPLBarrelB.jpg (42.71 KiB) Viewed 9723 times

If you do not use this OCT-18 lens to Arri PL camera mount adapter, you are left with this simple one. This locks the focus ring to the PL mount, and since you rotate the lens optical block to focus, you cannot use a follow focus gear. All of the Lomo lenses adapted for PL mount on eBay use this type of adapter. An ARRI-B to ARRI PL adapter is shown.
ARRIB2PLAdapter.jpg
ARRI-B to ARRI PL adapter
ARRIB2PLAdapter.jpg (110.89 KiB) Viewed 9723 times

Artcrm114

PostWed Jun 28, 2023 10:59 pm

Hello everyone,
I read most of the replies in this thread and I found a lot of valuable information. Thanks so much for the value, However I have a question that i was wondering someone here could help me with, I own a 6k pro and I'm trying to find a way to incorporate the Viltrox Epic series:

https://viltroxstore.com/products/anamo ... -cine-lens

with the Photodiox adapter mentioned by Donald Keller:

https://fotodioxpro.com/products/pl-ef-p-fc10

there is no information about the lens rear protrusion length anywhere in the Vitrox website and I'm shooting abroad so I can't swing by to the rental house to test the adaptor and lens combination beforehand, not to mention I'd be terrified to scratch the protection glass from the black magic, I am not very keen either on trying a mod kit as its quite the investment to buy and ship it just for one project.

can anyone tell me if this combination of adaptor and lenses would work? I am not sure how to figure this one out.

Vintage Lens Corner

PostSun Oct 29, 2023 6:21 pm

does anyone have a diagram of the 6K pro EF mount to see clearance?

What's the narrowest part of the baffle there? Looking to adapt some of my Oct-18 lomos with skinny rear protrusions

Return to Cinematography