Help a newbie identify some gear ...

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

joeleric26

Help a newbie identify some gear ...

PostThu Apr 29, 2021 8:04 pm

Hey guys,

I'm a worship pastor at a church and our tech guy recently left. We have a lot of Blackmagic gear and I know he had upgraded much of it through the years. I ran across a pair of these in storage the other day and, although I know these particular cameras had been replaced with upgrades, I'm wondering what we've got. We trying to determine if we repurpose them, sell them, etc.

Can someone give me some information on the cameras pictured and possibly what the current market value is for them?

Thanks,
Joel

Uli Plank

Re: Help a newbie identify some gear ...

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 12:36 am

This is the original Blackmagic Cinema Camera or BMCC in short. It's still a good camera if the battery is not dead from laying around for too long. I'd rather repurpose it than selling, the market value might not be that great, even if it looks like brand new.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

joeleric26

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 1:55 am

So is this a Blackmagic Cinema Camera 2.5K?

Howard Roll

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 3:05 pm

joeleric26 wrote:So is this a Blackmagic Cinema Camera 2.5K?

Thee Blackmagic Cinema Camera¹, commonly misacronyzed as the BMCC.

Good Luck

¹Offered in active ef, or passive mft mount.

Ellory Yu

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 7:16 pm

That is the original Black Magic Cinema Camera (or BMCC) 2.5K EF mount version. If the battery is still working, you might be able to sell it for around $200. Unfortunately, if it has been seating around for a while, the battery might have died and one problem with this camera is that the battery is not replaceable. At that condition, it's not worth anything even as parts. If you know what you are doing, you can repurpose them but it will probably cost more compared to buying a brand new Pocket Cinema Camera 4K which you can get brand new for $1,295 or around $700-800 used. Good luck!
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Uli Plank

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 9:51 pm

It depends. Even if the battery is dead, it can be used stationary, since you can supply external power.
S, if you may have any use for that, keep it. It would still deliver nice HD quality.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

carlomacchiavello

PostSat May 01, 2021 2:29 pm

Hi Joel, where are you?
I could interest to buy ones of it to experiment around it, but I live in italy and shipping could too expansive for me. Let me know

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Gary Collins

PostSat May 01, 2021 6:00 pm

Hi Joel

Sent you a PM but basically you have some very good equipment there if they are working. Hit ebay and you'll get an idea of the pricing these cameras attract. Very very good gear.

Gary

Ellory Yu

PostSat May 01, 2021 11:15 pm

Gary Collins wrote:Hi Joel

Sent you a PM but basically you have some very good equipment there if they are working. Hit ebay and you'll get an idea of the pricing these cameras attract. Very very good gear.

Gary

EBay is over priced and many of the BMCC 2.5K and 4K prices have not been updated so what you'll be getting are prices based on 2015 and not what it is worth today. I suggest if you do by them there, offer the seller by messaging them. You'll be surprise what the end negotiated price can become... although it is not easy and there's a bit of a hurdle to negotiate on eBay. Good luck!
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Uli Plank

PostSat May 01, 2021 11:19 pm

You can filter Ebay to show you items which were really sold.

Ulysses Paiva

PostSun May 02, 2021 1:30 pm

I love this lady, the 2.5K!!!

The guys are wrong, its perfectly usable without the internal battery, which was never really there to provide power for a shoot, only for swapping external batteries or for a quick shot. It works even without the internal battery, dont worry. Its still a great camera and provides beautifull images, except for its moiré and aliasing. You can sell it, although market value is not very interesting as other already said. It can bem used for spare parts to fix another one but I think the most useful use you can give it is to use it/reporpuse it.
Ulysses Paiva

Ellory Yu

PostMon May 03, 2021 6:59 am

Ulysses Paiva wrote:The guys are wrong, its perfectly usable without the internal battery, which was never really there to provide power for a shoot, only for swapping external batteries or for a quick shot. It works even without the internal battery

I think it is very aggressive to say the "guys are wrong". All we are trying to do is help. Yes, it is a nice camera and can be used or salvage for parts. If it was someone who know what they are doing, then they'll be able to make the best of it. However, the OP is totally new and the assumption here is the OP doesn't have a clue as to how to use the darn thing.

Ulysses Paiva

PostMon May 03, 2021 1:27 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:
Ulysses Paiva wrote:The guys are wrong, its perfectly usable without the internal battery, which was never really there to provide power for a shoot, only for swapping external batteries or for a quick shot. It works even without the internal battery

I think it is very aggressive to say the "guys are wrong". All we are trying to do is help. Yes, it is a nice camera and can be used or salvage for parts. If it was someone who know what they are doing, then they'll be able to make the best of it. However, the OP is totally new and the assumption here is the OP doesn't have a clue as to how to use the darn thing.

If I sounded rude, Im sorry, wasnt my intention. But saying the camera doesnt work without its internal battery show lack of first hand knowledge and its not useful.
Ulysses Paiva

Ellory Yu

PostMon May 03, 2021 1:51 pm

Ulysses Paiva wrote:
Ellory Yu wrote:

If I sounded rude, Im sorry, wasnt my intention. But saying the camera doesnt work without its internal battery show lack of first hand knowledge and its not useful.

Not to be rude as well, I have first hand knowledge because I owned the BMPCC 2.5K during its hay days. Yes you can power it with external power and other power sources but unless you are okay with relaying on external power, a dead internal battery is not replaceable and the OP, again assuming that they are not familiar with the camera, will probably not be thinking of it. Also, selling the camera with a dead battery is pretty much not worth the effort since he won't be able to get a good price for it. Of course, give it a shot. I think this is as far as I am going with this conversation.

Frank Engel

PostWed May 05, 2021 10:36 am

It should be pointed out that depending on what lens that is, it may be worth more than the camera at this point in monetary terms.

Gary Collins

PostWed May 05, 2021 10:48 am

Hi Joel

Sent you a PM but maybe you didn't get it - just wanted you to know that those particular cameras are said by many to be the best cameras Blackmagic ever made becasue of the quality of image you can get from them. I want you to know that. If those cameras have been well looked after at your place then buddy you have hit the jackpot. If you are going to sell them, make sure you get your money's worth.

Gary

joeleric26

PostThu May 06, 2021 10:14 pm

Thanks guys, I figured I'd get a straight answer here … the battery isn't dead yet, no idea how much longer she'll go though. We always used them plugged in both in an onsite studio situation and as live action cameras providing livestream footage for our services (I know that's probably not necessarily what they were originally intended for). I've got them listed on eBay right now and we'll see what the market bears. Beats having them waste away in a closet!

Return to Cinematography