Do the cameras come with a Nikon mount?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

ajzapf

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 3:12 am

I see the cameras with cannon lenses and am wondering if the also come with the Nikon mount. I have 30K of Nikon lenses and would love to try out one of your camera.

And if not when will you be coming out with a cameras with a Nikon mount?

Thanks, John
Dad • IT Pro • Photographer • YouTube Creator
Windows 11, DaVinci Resolve 18.6, Studio One 6 Pro
Dell R7920 2x Xeon Gold 6242R 3.10GHz, 40-Cores, 64GB DDR4 RAM
GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, 2 Dell UP2516D Monitors
2 WD BLACK 1TB NVMe - 36TB's on Server Drive

timbutt2

Re: Do the cameras come with a Nikon mount?

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 3:59 am

The URSA Mini Pro F Mount lets you use your favorite Nikon stills lenses with smooth high precision mechanical iris control. Now you can pair digital film quality with classic Nikon AF-S G and AF-D series lenses.

Only the URSA Mini Pro can get a Nikon Mount. By "Default" no UMP comes with the Nikon mount on it. The UMPG2 comes with EF and the UMP12K comes with PL. So the Nikon mount will be an additional purchase.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Mike Potton

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 4:34 am

Quite a few options, as mentioned you can get the nikon F mount for the Ursa line up.

Or you can get a metabones F-mount to MFT mount and use a Pocket 4k or a micro

Or you can just buy a cheap or expensive Nikkon to Canon mount adapter that fits onto the lens. The flange distance allows nikon glass to be easily mounted on EF cameras. This practice kicked off during the 5D revolution.

ajzapf

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 4:11 pm

I don't understand how the lens will work the same being 1/2 inch or more away from the senor, that sesames impossible.

I think I will just wait till BM comes out with the Nikon mount model. I wonder why they are only doing cannon, when Nikon makes better lenses.

carlomacchiavello

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 4:29 pm

ajzapf wrote:I don't understand how the lens will work the same being 1/2 inch or more away from the senor, that sesames impossible.

I think I will just wait till BM comes out with the Nikon mount model. I wonder why they are only doing cannon, when Nikon makes better lenses.
Canon and nikon had a 2mm difference of distance from sensor, you can mount nikon lens on canon mount with good adapter that translate electronic to enable iris, focus and is if present.
I had a friend that had pocket6k and adapter for his nikon lenses (he too had tons of nikon lenses).
The adapter add distance of nikon lens from sensor of canon mount to work fine.
Anyway the main reason that there is mft and canon mount on most of cinema camera and not only (see Eva1 Panasonic) is be cause tons of people bought canon lenses for 5d revolution and for canon cameras, the same with mft and Panasonic mirrorless used to do video from 2010. Simple market nothing more

many people like me use too nikon lenses on no nikon mount cameras, I had a set of nippon kogaku lenses and nikkor lenses be cause adore renditition of light with that lenses. I use simple ring adapter to mount on my canon mount of Blackmagic Design.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

RyLo2797

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 5:00 pm

ajzapf wrote:I don't understand how the lens will work the same being 1/2 inch or more away from the senor, that sesames impossible.

Carlo covered it above, but basically, different mounts are designed for different distances from the imaging area (film or sensor). You can easily adapt most lenses to Micro Four-Thirds and Sony's E mount because the distance they designed their mount for is much, much shorter than most other mounts. They didn't have to worry about a mirror. This means a Nikon or Canon lens needs to be further from the body of the camera for the lens to project the image properly. An adapter puts the lens in that position.

Similarly, Nikon's distance is slightly further than Canon's, which makes an adapter possible, but difficult. But you can't go the other way and adapt a Canon lens to a Nikon body because the lens will be too far from the sensor. At least, not without glass to correct for it.

Mike Potton

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 8:25 pm

ajzapf wrote:I think I will just wait till BM comes out with the Nikon mount model. I wonder why they are only doing cannon, when Nikon makes better lenses.

No need to wait, the URSA line has a native nikkon mount. Out of interest what other brand of camera will you buy that offers a native nikkon mount?

Denny Smith

PostSat May 01, 2021 6:36 am

A Nikon camera.. that said the Nikon Z6/7 requires the Nikon FTZ adapter to work with Nikon F Mount lens. Using Vintage lenses on new cameras, will require some type of adapter.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

robert Hart

PostSat May 01, 2021 8:53 am

The BM custom Nikon mount is unique to the Ursa Mini Pro camera family. The older Ursa Mini 4.6K and Ursa Mini 4K, "big" Ursa 4K (AKA Ursa Major), original 4K and 2.6K cinema cameras require an adaptor.

It is possible to make a custom Nikon F-Mount for these cameras but really is not worth the bother since good adaptors have become available.

I am using "K & F Concept" adaptors between the EF-Mount and Nikon AI lenses and have found their build quality to be consistent. They also mount firmly to the EF-Mount.

The little pin-release lever in the rear of the adaptor is tiny. It looks like an iris controller and on first use will confuse you because it seems you have to slide it rather than pull it directly back with a fingernail hooked under.

This confusion is amplified because it will jam beyond your power to release it if you have already loaded the pin by twisting on the lens. You have to make sure the pin has no pressure against it, then the little lever will work easily.

The payoff is that the lenses also mount very tightly to the adaptor. There will be no wobble. There is no instruction set on how to make it work but it works very well.

For convenience, I have several adaptors which I leave mounted to the most often used lenses. These are dumb adaptors. As with all dumb adaptors, I ALWAYS cut a thin strip of tape and cover the lens control pins in the camera body to make sure nothing becomes shorted out.

robert Hart

PostSat May 01, 2021 9:08 am

FOOTNOTE:

Some of the older Nikon lenses have an overhang of the iris control ring. The F-Mount which suits them has a shoulder depth of about 1.7mm rearwards of flange face.

The newer F-Mount rings kept the shoulder but it was only about 0.7mm deep rearwards of the flange face and also about 0.1mm wider in diameter. The older lenses will offer up to the newer mounts but the overhanging iris ring may jam on them and become unusable.

Some EF-Mount to F-Mount adaptors may have insufficient shoulder depth for some older Nikon lenses to work.

ajzapf

PostSat May 01, 2021 3:29 pm

Thank you all for your great replies.

John

Patrick Spectra

PostSun May 02, 2021 2:36 am

I use the BM Nikon mount on the UMP. Never had any issue but everything is manual if that is an issue for you. I never entered the Canon ecosystem so I also don’t miss anything from Canon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to Cinematography