BM video assist 12g HDR log handling problem

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

rickyissak

BM video assist 12g HDR log handling problem

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 12:02 pm

I'm thinking about dumping my ninja V and get a BMVA instead, but I do have one question that I'm hoping someone could help me with.

When monitoring log footage with a lut, are zebras and scopes measured before or after the lut?

This is my biggest frustration with ninja v, as it not only have a full/video range problem, but also it measures everything after the lut, which makes it impossible to trust for exposure.

BMPCC and other cinema cameras all have similar functions, allowing you to monitor with lut so you don't go blind, while being able to accurately keep track of exposure measurements of the original log/raw signal.

Now I find myself in a frustrating position with my a7siii and ninja v. Would BMVA, or any other decent monitor in similar or lower price range, fix my problem?

p.s. I don't care about prores raw as I use Resolve and will be crossing my fingers for braw on a7siii should I finally decide to buy a video assist.

rickyissak

Re: BM video assist 12g HDR log handling problem

PostSat May 01, 2021 5:06 am

While waiting for a reply I might as well post my current solution for monitoring with lut on ninja V.

Basically you just use this free lut combiner tool (can't post link, just google.) to sandwich your lut with the same full to legal lut.

So your new lut is F2L combined with YOUR LUT then combined again with F2L lut.

In this case you will be able to see a correct punchy image.

Then in my case (I use phantom luts for a7siii), the clipping point is 100% and 90% white is 75%. This zebra setting corresponds perfectly with my camera screen's log zebra setting at 94% and 61% respectively.

Obviously this is rather inelegant for a premium device that is manufactured for monitoring.

Why atomos doesn't fix it's range problem via firmware is beyond me.

Return to Cinematography