OVER-EXPOSURE AND RECOVERABLE IMAGE.

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

robert Hart

OVER-EXPOSURE AND RECOVERABLE IMAGE.

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 3:52 pm

I have been inclined to swing the crop a bit regarding some Blackmagic products. However credit is due where credit is due. I was pleasantly surprised to discover just how much was recoverable from a blown out image from the URSA Mini 4.6K when Resolve is turned loose on it. The settings were 25P 1/50th shutter, ISO 1200, 5200K, Some inbuilt IRND, about 3 stop's worth. Pro-Res 4:2:2.

Conditions were bright daylight with thick smoke haze at about 2-00pm panning from SE to SW.

A sudden need to roll the camera occurred before I had a chance to set it up properly in the menu. All I had was f22 on the Nikon lens and of course that provokes the diffraction artifact. The camera image was practically white with just a few grey light shadows apparent. Beyond the diffraction softness which is what it is, I was able to recover a viewable image and could probably pull back on the contrast.

I am still a learner driver on Resolve. With some finessing it could probably be better.

carlomacchiavello

Re: OVER-EXPOSURE AND RECOVERABLE IMAGE.

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 4:31 pm

When you are in difficult situation you can use false color to understand what and where you really burn the picture, that bad girl of Ursa Can surprise a lot you. :-)

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Howard Roll

PostSat May 01, 2021 2:47 am

robert Hart wrote:I am still a learner driver on Resolve. With some finessing it could probably be better.

Mr. Hart, with all due respect that footage strongly resembles VHS. Post a frame let us help you out. If the image is overexposed there should be miles of detail in the foliage, instead it's crushed. Highlight recovery is not always a good thing either as it tends to skew magenta, more often than not one can let it go.

Good Luck

magentayonder.png
magentayonder.png (228.04 KiB) Viewed 562 times

robert Hart

PostSat May 01, 2021 8:27 am

carlomacchiavello. All I had time to do was point the camera, press the run button, close the iris and let it take its chances. I was very surprised to see how much image could be recovered.

Howard Roll. I have had a few more tries with Resolve and have found that I was heavy-handed with the colour tools. - Learner driver. The image can look better. There is not much to be done about the softness of the image. It does sharpen up a bit.

VHS - Most definitely. At least I know now how to achieve the effect in-camera. It does look better than my old Panasonic tube camera VHS. You could have any colour you liked with that as long as it was red and blue. Green was brown whenever it did show up. The image from that was about as sharp as a dropped egg.

I was also experimenting with using a disk of Format Hitech IRND behind the lens of the Ursa Mini. That confers some green into the image which I had over-corrected. One has to be very subtle with the colour correction controls.

When I work out how to extract an image frame from the timeline, I will post one. It is a steep learning curve for me. I have been addicted to Premiere from the original Premiere 6 to Premiere CS6. When Adobe went the C.C. route, I gave up on it and stayed with Premiere CS6.

Until I find and buy better graphics cards for Resolve Studio 17, the processing is very very slow. The GTX670 cards no longer work in CUDA any more like they did in Resolve 16.

smunaut

PostSat May 01, 2021 10:45 am

@robert: It'd be nice if you could post a BRAW still :)

EDIT: Ah it's pro-res ... well not sure how to create a 1 frame still of that.
Resolve Studio - Ryzen 5800X3D - AMD RX6600 / NVidia RTX 4070 (switching between the 2) - Linux

Howard Roll

PostSat May 01, 2021 2:09 pm

smunaut wrote:well not sure how to create a 1 frame still of that.

Use the trim feature in QT and trim the clip to a single frame. Open the clip ⌘T, I, O, trim, save as.

Good Luck

trim.png
trim.png (107.73 KiB) Viewed 443 times

Return to Cinematography