Dummy Battery for BMPCC 6k Pro?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

MichaelArtStrong

Dummy Battery for BMPCC 6k Pro?

PostSat May 01, 2021 10:47 pm

Hi there, I'm trying to put together a rig to shoot for several days away from reliable power with both a BMPCC 6k AND a 6k Pro.

I got this Power Junkie BDS from Blind Spot, and they also make a Canon LP-E6 dummy battery (works great with normal 6k). However the 6k Pro takes the Sony NP-F550 style batteries. I bought a dummy one on amazon and it doesn't fit! It's slightly too wide to go into the camera. I checked the model number to make sure, and everything should match.

My question is: does anyone have any information on a dummy battery that will definitely work with the BMPCC 6k Pro? I'd rather have some solid info before doing more trial and error buys (and I've already done some digging online and on this forum that hasn't turned anything up)

carlomacchiavello

Re: Dummy Battery for BMPCC 6k Pro?

PostTue May 04, 2021 6:01 am

Why not enter in Ac port?
It’s designed to do that, support a bigger range of power than battery side (better if you battery had some voltage peak), there are many cable on market to do that.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Howard Roll

PostTue May 04, 2021 2:00 pm

carlomacchiavello wrote:Why not enter in Ac port?

7.2V≠12V, best not to try this at home.

Good Luck

carlomacchiavello

PostTue May 04, 2021 2:33 pm

Howard Roll wrote:

Good Luck

Ac in allow from 12 to 20v, the Usb port that support until 20v like told in the manual page 7.
if you put 7.2v you cannot turn on the camera, i did it with a plate that i use to adapt nfp970 that output 7.2 and 12v, i use wrong out, i don't turn on the camera.

Ellory Yu

PostTue May 04, 2021 2:40 pm

I'm going through the AC port using a D-Tap to 2-pin cable and the Core SWX Powerbase Edge Battery.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... _form.html
Works like a charm. I don't use the dummy battery. IMO, they're not reliable.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Howard Roll

PostTue May 04, 2021 6:15 pm

carlomacchiavello wrote:
Howard Roll wrote:

Good Luck

Ac in allow from 12 to 20v, the Usb port that support until 20v like told in the manual page 7.
if you put 7.2v you cannot turn on the camera, i did it with a plate that i use to adapt nfp970 that output 7.2 and 12v, i use wrong out, i don't turn on the camera.

Dude, the OP is using a 7.2V plate. You're advising him to make the exact same mistake you did. Mentos.

Good Luck

7.2V.png
7.2V.png (112.07 KiB) Viewed 4990 times

carlomacchiavello

PostTue May 04, 2021 7:16 pm

Howard Roll wrote:
Dude, the OP is using a 7.2V plate. You're advising him to make the exact same mistake you did. Mentos.

Good Luck

7.2V.png

Ops :-P
sorry i not seen it

smunaut

PostWed May 05, 2021 6:50 am

It also says "Max continuous power out: 20W", which is already under the spec for a BMPCC4k, so for a 6k pro it's even worse.
Resolve Studio - Ryzen 5800X3D - AMD RX6600 / NVidia RTX 4070 (switching between the 2) - Linux

MrHotter

PostWed May 05, 2021 3:46 pm

I'm using the SmallRig NP-F Battery Adapter Plate with Charging Cables for BMPCC 4K/6K Cameras.

It has a 7.5v and a 12v out. That would get you up and running using the 12v cable while looking for a dummy battery that fits your 6K Pro.

I think your current Power Junkie battery plate is only 7.5v, so it can only work on your Pocket 6K (non-pro version) with a dummy battery.
Mac mini
Apple M1 chip with 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, and 16-core Neural Engine
16GB unified memory
512GB internal SSD storage
various external drives

Thom Britten-Austin

PostSat Mar 05, 2022 9:00 am

This is what you're looking for. Can hold any NP-f? battery and comes with a BMPCC 12v cable and plug fitted.

https://www.amazon.com/Hersmay-Blackmag ... 170&sr=8-3
Thom Britten-Austin
Windows 10, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X, Resolve 18.5

wemrick1

PostSat Mar 05, 2022 12:11 pm

I use both a monster NP-f battery with a voltage boosting plate and v mount batteries via the ac port of the camera. Both work fine. Obviously the V mount solution powers the camera longer per greater mah or wh depending on which you like to work with

Mark Foster

PostSat Mar 05, 2022 2:20 pm

custom power solutions.jpg
custom power solutions.jpg (177.41 KiB) Viewed 4119 times

always use a small v-mount at the weipu connector for the 6k pro!

the USB-C only allows charge the internal battery - not for power while using

cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

funktionalfilms

PostSun May 01, 2022 5:01 am

I came across this thread while testing out power options for my 6K Pro. My question isn't about the dummy battery, but third party powering options. Either way it seems this group may have some insight.

I ended up purchasing the Small Rig NP-F plate, where I can attach a large NP-F970 from the 7.4V out to a 2-pin cable into the 6K Pro. With this set-up I can get about 100 mins of power and record time. When I do a similar test using the Small Rig V-Mount adapter and a 14.8V brick, I get about 2 hours.

My question is pretty simple, as best I can tell based on the specs in the manual rates the 2-pin DC input on the camera between 10.8 to 20V. Sp, should I be surprised that the NP-F set-up (at 7.4V) is working at all, let alone as good as it is?

I'm inclined to go this route due to cost savings and smaller size and weight of the 2 battery options, but want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

carlomacchiavello

PostTue May 03, 2022 3:49 pm

funktionalfilms wrote:I came across this thread while testing out power options for my 6K Pro. My question isn't about the dummy battery, but third party powering options. Either way it seems this group may have some insight.

I ended up purchasing the Small Rig NP-F plate, where I can attach a large NP-F970 from the 7.4V out to a 2-pin cable into the 6K Pro. With this set-up I can get about 100 mins of power and record time. When I do a similar test using the Small Rig V-Mount adapter and a 14.8V brick, I get about 2 hours.

My question is pretty simple, as best I can tell based on the specs in the manual rates the 2-pin DC input on the camera between 10.8 to 20V. Sp, should I be surprised that the NP-F set-up (at 7.4V) is working at all, let alone as good as it is?

I'm inclined to go this route due to cost savings and smaller size and weight of the 2 battery options, but want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

uhm... something of strange, mine (6k not pro) not turn on with 7.4v.

i use tilta plate with nfp990 10,4A 74.9W and i have since 4h hours of recording braw with external ssd connected and without using stabilizer of lens.
6k (and i think the same on 6k pro) require 25w/h, if you keep battery inside draw 30w/h.
with a 970 should work for more than two hours.
may be that giving a 7.4v force internal converter to work more and consume faster the battery.

Igor Petrović

PostThu Jun 09, 2022 9:57 am

funktionalfilms wrote:I ended up purchasing the Small Rig NP-F plate, where I can attach a large NP-F970 from the 7.4V out to a 2-pin cable into the 6K Pro. With this set-up I can get about 100 mins of power and record time. When I do a similar test using the Small Rig V-Mount adapter and a 14.8V brick, I get about 2 hours.

Same here but I accidentally inserted 2-pin cable in 7.4V. Camera turned on without any problem. I turned it of when I realized that I made mistake.
So my question is for how long you have been using your camera that way. Is everything working properly? No consequences for a camera?

I ask this because when I use 12V output my camera keeps turning off after a while. Sometimes it's recording for a 20 minutes, sometimes its less then two minutes. It shuts itself off without any warning. The battery I use is Baxxtar NP-F970, 7800 mAh, 7.2 V.

RyronLima

PostFri Sep 02, 2022 8:40 pm

MichaelArtStrong wrote:Hi there, I'm trying to put together a rig to shoot for several days away from reliable power with both a BMPCC 6k AND a 6k Pro.

I got this Power Junkie BDS from Blind Spot, and they also make a Canon LP-E6 dummy battery (works great with normal 6k). However the 6k Pro takes the Sony NP-F550 style batteries. I bought a dummy one on amazon and it doesn't fit! It's slightly too wide to go into the camera. I checked the model number to make sure, and everything should match.

My question is: does anyone have any information on a dummy battery that will definitely work with the BMPCC 6k Pro? I'd rather have some solid info before doing more trial and error buys (and I've already done some digging online and on this forum that hasn't turned anything up)

for me too, I'm buying my second plate to test, but it's also a chinese brand. If your Tilta battery works with an npf battery for 2 hours, I will buy this one to solve my problem. because mine is turning off after 20 min, even with more than 70% battery.

carlomacchiavello

PostWed Sep 07, 2022 6:18 am

RyronLima wrote:
MichaelArtStrong wrote:Hi there, I'm trying to put together a rig to shoot for several days away from reliable power with both a BMPCC 6k AND a 6k Pro.

for me too, I'm buying my second plate to test, but it's also a chinese brand. If your Tilta battery works with an npf battery for 2 hours, I will buy this one to solve my problem. because mine is turning off after 20 min, even with more than 70% battery.
Tilta plate + battery 990 + pocket6k
Output 12v three hour of recording yesterday with the last firmware.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Return to Cinematography