URGENT!! 7.3 update focus peaking is TERRIBLE!

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Phil999

Re: URGENT!! 7.3 update focus peaking is TERRIBLE!

PostSun Nov 07, 2021 7:35 pm

Dan Keeble wrote:the human eyes reacts better to the colour green than any other colour in the spectrum. try it out, green lasers are much brighter than red, for example. you should also pick green as the colour for focus peaking, whatever camera you use. :)

thank you Dan, good information.

Lliam Worthington

PostMon Nov 08, 2021 11:51 am

Lliam Worthington wrote:
rick.lang wrote:A reminder (with my first client shoot since the pandemic restrictions coming up) that my best results on both the BMPCC4K and the BMVA12G7 are found using the Colour Green.

Can’t emphasize that enough. I also used Medium Red for years, but with the latest firmware on the camera and the external monitor, High Green is most visible. In a controlled shoot Medium Green may be sufficient for relatively static subjects, but my subjects are always in motion so I’m risking use of High Green at this time.

Unfortunately High can be misleading since the range that is considered in focus can be larger than when Medium is used. You can miss focus on moving subjects using High whereas Medium is reliable. So I may start on Medium Green.

Thanks Rick I'll give green a try. We've been using blue as my co op is partially colour blind and struggles to distinguish red.

Tried green today, but unfortunately my friend struggles with greens and reds, so we'll have to use blue. Hopefully BM successfully updates this soon, till then using the focus peaking on an external monitor.

Bevoson

PostMon Jan 03, 2022 6:38 pm

I had the pleasure of working with a RED Komodo over the weekend I was able to tell accurate focus on an iPhone over 2.4 ghz and via the top tiny scene because of the focus peaking the Komodo provides.

Blackmagic Design, it would be wonderful if you would allow us to increase the user level of focus peaking by a substantial amount on the pocket series. Especially with the P6k PRO and the wonderful screen on the back, good focus peaking would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Local 600 Digital Imaging Technician

Robert Castiglione

PostTue Jan 04, 2022 11:24 pm

Thanks Rick,

That is useful advice.

Have a great year filming!
Rob Castiglione
robcastiglione.com

rick.lang

PostWed Jan 05, 2022 3:08 pm

Robert Castiglione wrote:
Have a great year filming!

Thanks for the best wishes, Robert. I was happy to resume shooting theatrical performances just before Christmas and got good results although the production was shutdown early due to the Omicron pandemic surging here. I don’t have more client shoots planned at this time until another performance mid-May and a music festival at the end of May. So hoping those actually happen!
Rick Lang
Previous

Return to Cinematography