BlackMagic 4K EF Mount - Beginner questions!

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

KalunaMedia

BlackMagic 4K EF Mount - Beginner questions!

PostWed May 05, 2021 7:46 am

Hello everyone,

I bought a BlackMagic 4k production camera about a month ago, and it's an absolute beast.

It's *obviously* quite heavy, and so, we were hoping to get a gimbal for it. I've got some experience in tripods etc, but not gimbals. Are gimbals universal fit? And if not, what gimbal is compatible with my camera?

We're going to be filming a music video with it so was hoping we could get something that would keep image jerkyness to a relative minimum, but would also give the camera operator a good level of control without her arm falling off.

If a gimbal isn't the answer, then what? A shoulder mount? Cage etc?

I'm struggling to find much on YouTube etc as, when you search BlackMagic it's either the brand new ones, or the BMPCC.

Thanks in advance.
Matt

Ellory Yu

Re: BlackMagic 4K EF Mount - Beginner questions!

PostWed May 05, 2021 4:22 pm

If you are referring to the BlackMagic Cinema Camera Production 4K, then you'll probably want to look at the Ronin M or MX gimbal.
Watch this -

If it is the original URSA 4K beast, then none of the gimbals will work. You'll need something else.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

rick.lang

Re: BlackMagic 4K EF Mount - Beginner questions!

PostThu May 06, 2021 12:59 am

The original URSA 4K camera with the 10” screen weighs 16.5 lbs or 7.5Kg without any accessories or lenses. It’s best feature may be that is has a global shutter and is designed to be used with a small crew rather than a single operator. Rigged for a tripod, it’s shooting weight with lenses can be at least 25 lbs.

However off hand I’m not recalling anyone here that shot handheld with it. That weight requires heavy duty gear including Steadicam Arm and Steadicam Vest at a minimum I’d say and that’s thousands of dollars for handheld. A capable jib or small crane might be enough for limited movement.
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography