Resolution

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

lmac666

Resolution

PostThu May 06, 2021 3:27 am

This may be a stupid question but I genuinely am a little confused.

I shot some footage in 6K BRAW 5:1 and when I put it into a 2K Timeline on Premiere Pro, the quality of the footage seemed to have dropped off a little bit, even after it has been exported at a high bitrate.

When I throw the exact same footage into a 6K timeline the footage looks fantastic.

I thought that putting higher resolution footage into a 2K timeline would've meant that the image quality should be quite good, this has generally been the case previously when using other footage.

Am I doing something wrong? Or perhaps I'm completely wrong.

Uli Plank

Re: Resolution

PostFri May 07, 2021 9:04 am

That depends on the quality of the scaling algorithms. I can see a clear difference between 4K in a 4K timeline and 6K in the same one. Why don't you give DR a try and compare?
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

AndreeMarkefors

PostFri May 07, 2021 10:03 am

lmac666 wrote:I shot some footage in 6K BRAW 5:1 and when I put it into a 2K Timeline on Premiere Pro, the quality of the footage seemed to have dropped off a little bit, even after it has been exported at a high bitrate.

When I throw the exact same footage into a 6K timeline the footage looks fantastic.

I thought that putting higher resolution footage into a 2K timeline would've meant that the image quality should be quite good, this has generally been the case previously when using other footage.

You get the result you're after by adding 6K footage to a 6K timeline and then export that to 2K.

By using a 2K timeline, you are basically saying "give me 2K worth of resolution out of whatever source files I just gave you".

High resolution source files and low resolution timelines often invoke quick and dirty on-the-fly scaling that can't be compared to using a full resolution timeline (relative to source material) and then exporting that to something of a lower resolution.

DaVinci Resolve overcomes this problem by being resolution independent. You can do your work in a 2K timeline (including power windows and tracking), and then change the resolution of the timeline just before export without breaking your previous work. You do have to change the timeline resolution manually though. It's been a long standing request that Resolve should to that "flipping of the switch" automatically, in the background, if it recognises higher resolution source material.

But I guess the safer route is to make the user responsible, to make sure that there are now unintended resolution mis-matches.
Current camera: Canon R5C
Mac Pro 2019: 12c | Dual W6800X Duo | DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K + LG 55C8
MacBook Pro M3 Max 16" 16/40, 64GB

carlomacchiavello

PostSat May 08, 2021 12:16 pm

From default premiere scale in worst but faster way. If you want preview better, go to sequence settings and enable maximum render quality option.
It allow you to downsize with better algorithm but slower.
If you want only to export that quality you must enable only in export, from premiere or from media encoder in video panel, in the bottom part of window, you find this option.
For a strange reasons Adobe decide to hide the real meaning of this function under “render maximum quality”. It work when you downsize or upscale video or picture. During this kind of video it resample better and optimise this kind of process, but if you apply ever, also without scaling, you only slowdown render without better result.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Return to Cinematography