Long Lens Stable Video ?? BM4K&6K ? How to ??

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Staffordfuhs

Long Lens Stable Video ?? BM4K&6K ? How to ??

PostFri May 07, 2021 1:04 am

I like to do wildlife photography and video.
So I have an issue with getting stable and non-jittery footage with my 4K&6K camera's using long lenses. I have the sigma 150-600 which equates to 960 mm and even on a tripod the video seems to be too jumpy. Now I have pulled off much less jumpy video on my Sony and Olympus cameras because they have IBIS and lens stability.

So curious in trying to do wildlife video out of my car window or even in the field ?? Any suggestions on tripod or Fluid head? Any other method you would suggest ?

Thanks again for any suggestions?

John Brawley

Re: Long Lens Stable Video ?? BM4K&6K ? How to ??

PostFri May 07, 2021 1:18 am

Staffordfuhs wrote:I like to do wildlife photography and video.
So I have an issue with getting stable and non-jittery footage with my 4K&6K camera's using long lenses. I have the sigma 150-600 which equates to 960 mm and even on a tripod the video seems to be too jumpy. Now I have pulled off much less jumpy video on my Sony and Olympus cameras because they have IBIS and lens stability.

So curious in trying to do wildlife video out of my car window or even in the field ?? Any suggestions on tripod or Fluid head? Any other method you would suggest ?

It's a matter of physics. You don't want to CARRY a heavy duty tripod, but that's kind of what you need.

IS lenses can help a lot too if they have it but at that end it's a tricky problem, only solved by the heavy mass under the camera of a heavy duty tripod.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

John Brawley

PostFri May 07, 2021 1:22 am

Here's a 150-600 Canon on an Alexa with TWO doublers....so 2400mm for shooting some surfers.

https://flic.kr/p/euhzAe

The head is a version of this bad boy...

https://www.ocon.com/products/fluid-heads/2560-2/

You won't like the price...or the weight. I tend to use Ronford legs rather than O'Connor.

https://flic.kr/p/cjaw3E

Also this on on an Oconnor 2575 head. Same canon 150-600 with two 2X doublers...

Even with these heavy duty tripods there's a lot of bumps and even the wind is enough to rattle the shot.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Michael Sandiford

PostFri May 07, 2021 7:09 am

Our of a car window, old style v bean bags or even sand bags we used to use (put your sand or filler into zip lock plastic bags before putting them into the sand bag to stop dust).

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

Jeffrey D Mathias

PostFri May 07, 2021 12:12 pm

John is right on about the tripod. A must have.

I have been doing some wildlife with pocket 4K and Canon 100-400 L IS 2. Here are a few things that I have found.

Sturdy tripod and good balancing fluid head (I use Cartoni.)

Fast shutter speed. Over 1/3000 and even 1/5000 (max for BMD.) (Thanks to ISO 3200 and sun I can get around F8.)

Do not touch camera. Start and keep filming. Exception: move camera with fluid head arm which is adjusted for weight and balance of camera as well as enough (but not too much) fluid friction for smooth movement... and practice.

IS might be of help. I have found that with the lens I use the second setting works best for on a tripod, especially when moving to follow subject (like flying bird.)(This Canon lens has three settings for IS: all, x or y and after triggered)

With long lenses it is especially important to consider air movement (mainly from temperature, but also wind.) Now I am not talking about the obvious affecting the camera shaking wildly (but should consider too), I am talking of the atmospheric movement which will make everything seem to dance. This is why the high shutter speed. And even if this might help stop movement at distance it will not solve the distortion that will happen anyways. It does seem to help to be out early in the day before the ground warms.

(Note also that if in a vehicle the tires may cause movement from weight shifting within the vehicle or from wind.)
AMD Threadripper 1950x 16-core 3.4 GHz
96 GB Crucial DDR4 2666 ECC UDIMM RAM
AsRock Fatal1ty x399 motherboard
AMD Radeon Pro WX 8200 GPU
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit version 22H2, build 19045.3208
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
iPad Pro M2

Akpe Ododoru

PostFri May 07, 2021 12:55 pm

Staffordfuhs wrote:I like to do wildlife photography and video.

For shooting out of my car window, try and relax the lens on a "Grippa Bean Bag" to help stabilize your shots
Akpe Ododoru
Cinematographer
London
www.akpe.co.uk

carlomacchiavello

PostFri May 07, 2021 4:23 pm

I use a 70-200 2.8 is II With 2x multiplier, and IS work fine with pocket4k (and metabone), pocket6k and ursa mini pro g1, i shoot many times but not at same time in motion like in a car.
If I need to shoot in motion I use pocket6k and less zoom to crop later and had less motion length on motion blur.
Generally work fine Canon Is dual mode.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Phil999

PostFri May 07, 2021 8:21 pm

Pocket 4k and Panasonic 100-300mm on a Flowtech FSB4. Not the greatest combination, but very small and light for transport.

Jeffrey D Mathias

PostSun May 09, 2021 5:20 pm

Here is an example of atmospheric effect on long lens shot. Note the wind is blowing the effect horizontally between the forward trees and the background trees. (Usually effect is vertical) The forward trees are far, but not far enough to have much distortion. Also there is a hill to the left (out of frame) helping to keep the wind behind it. Motion is slowed to 1/5 speed (120fps - 24p)
AMD Threadripper 1950x 16-core 3.4 GHz
96 GB Crucial DDR4 2666 ECC UDIMM RAM
AsRock Fatal1ty x399 motherboard
AMD Radeon Pro WX 8200 GPU
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit version 22H2, build 19045.3208
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
iPad Pro M2

Pete Tomkies

PostSun May 09, 2021 10:56 pm

John Brawley wrote:Here's a 150-600 Canon on an Alexa with TWO doublers....so 2400mm for shooting some surfers.

https://flic.kr/p/euhzAe

The head is a version of this bad boy...

https://www.ocon.com/products/fluid-heads/2560-2/

You won't like the price...or the weight. I tend to use Ronford legs rather than O'Connor.

https://flic.kr/p/cjaw3E

Also this on on an Oconnor 2575 head. Same canon 150-600 with two 2X doublers...

Even with these heavy duty tripods there's a lot of bumps and even the wind is enough to rattle the shot.

JB

I am quite reassured by your last line John. I recently shot an interview outdoors at Media City in Manchester with the P6K and a Canon L 70-200mm at 200mm. I have a Vinten tripod which is pretty sturdy (though not the size or weight on the sticks in your photos) but could still see some bounce when the wind gusted. I am glad it is not just my kit that is susceptible :-)
Film maker • Director • DoP • Camera Operator • I write for Videomaker magazine

John Brawley

PostSun May 09, 2021 11:25 pm

Pete Tomkies wrote:I am quite reassured by your last line John. I recently shot an interview outdoors at Media City in Manchester with the P6K and a Canon L 70-200mm at 200mm. I have a Vinten tripod which is pretty sturdy (though not the size or weight on the sticks in your photos) but could still see some bounce when the wind gusted. I am glad it is not just my kit that is susceptible :-)

I have had grips make up a wind break. Just get some shade cloth and staple it to a 6x4 timber frame, usually hinged, so you can plant it around the camera. That can often take away a lot of those kinds of gusts and you can easily carry them.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Return to Cinematography