BM6K Pro & 150-600 carry by Body or Lens ?? Too Heavy?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Staffordfuhs

BM6K Pro & 150-600 carry by Body or Lens ?? Too Heavy?

PostFri May 07, 2021 1:12 am

So I shoot large and long lenses most of the time. I am surprised at how heavy the new BM6K pro is with evf and battery adapter. I shot the bm6K and I could carry the kit by the lens and not have any worries about stress on the mount. Now that I have the 6K pro, this camera feels 2 times as heavy and now I want to carry the entire system by the body and lens body.

The camera almost feels too heavy to carry by a large lens because the body is so heavy ?? I have a 150-600 sigma and to be honest the camera feels as heavy as the lens. So if I carry the camera by the lens it almost feels like their is stress on the mount from the weight of the camera body ?

Am I being too paranoid ? Is a cage for the entire Kit Needed ? Like with Extender tubs which then makes this kit even heavier overall ??

Thanks,

Videoguy16x9

Re: BM6K Pro & 150-600 carry by Body or Lens ?? Too Heavy?

PostFri May 07, 2021 3:58 am

I have worried about the lens mounts on several cameras with heavier lenses. I know a friendly competitor who very recently traveled with a pair of Sony FX9's with their big power zoom lenses and both snapped off at the mount.

Here is what I use: The first is mount a rails holder under the camera such as this one https://www.amazon.com/SmallRig-Camera- ... 45&sr=8-20

And then use 15mm rails and a lens support like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/SmallRig-15mm-Un ... s9dHJ1ZQ==

For under USD $100 you can protect your lens and camera. I have mounted some pretty large lenses on several different makes of camera doing this and never had an issue. Your normal mounting plate for tripods will mount easily on the rails adapter and it has two screw mounts for stability. I have had to watch tightness and twisting on my BMPCC 4k with only a single screw mount, but even banging around cliffs and mountains and some pretty rough corporate shoots, have never worried about the lens or mount getting damaged.

Two more bonus's:

The while thing adds very little weight,

And should you want one, the rails give you foundation for a follow focus or matte box.
H. Robert Petersen, BriteFire Films - videoguy16x9@gmail.com

Staffordfuhs

PostFri May 07, 2021 4:38 am

Many thanks for your post of the rails and gear. I thought I might of been a bit overly cautious, now looking into it, yes I need that setup seems cheap enough and light is what I like.

Thanks again,

Videoguy16x9

PostFri May 07, 2021 4:41 am

You are very welcome Stafford - losing a camera is never fun, and it never happens at a "good" time. For me, it would likely happen in the middle of nowhere halfway up a cliff and a hundred miles from civilization....
H. Robert Petersen, BriteFire Films - videoguy16x9@gmail.com

Return to Cinematography