Audio Quality v Codec

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Andrew HATFIELD

Audio Quality v Codec

PostFri May 07, 2021 8:51 am

I have a VO to record and will be using a Zoom f6 but wanted to record a backup to my P4K. As it's just audio I was going to use the lowest quality video but wondered is there any difference in audio quality with the various codecs. I can't find anything in the manual.

rick.lang

Re: Audio Quality v Codec

PostFri May 07, 2021 4:40 pm

As I recall CD quality audio is 16bit 44.1KHz. The standard for most spoken audio in Resolve would be 24bit 48KHz for video distribution. If you were recording a soundtrack of an orchestra for distribution as music tracks, you can record 24bit 192KHz or even 32bit. But those very high datarates are for records, not usually used for most digital (video) production for playback on computers and television. I’d recommend you record the minimum of 24bit 48KHz for your videos. Don’t compromise on sound quality as the datarates are still minor compared to the video codecs.
Rick Lang

Brad Hurley

PostFri May 07, 2021 4:54 pm

I think Andrew was asking whether the audio quality recorded in-camera by the BMPCC 4K differs depending on the codec you choose for video. As far as I know, these are independent: the camera should record 48k/24 bit wav files regardless of the video codec chosen.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

smunaut

PostFri May 07, 2021 6:36 pm

yeah, codec is always 24b pcm ... (at least in the bmpcc4k, that's the only cam I have and tested on ... but I don't see why they would do it differently in other cams. the audio bitrate is nothing vs the video one)
Resolve Studio - Ryzen 5800X3D - AMD RX6600 / NVidia RTX 4070 (switching between the 2) - Linux

rick.lang

PostSat May 08, 2021 1:45 am

Andrew HATFIELD wrote:I have a VO to record and… wondered is there any difference in audio quality with the various codecs...

Andrew, if you meant pairing audio with different video codecs, capture 24bit 48 KHz PCM audio and you’re good regardless of video codec.
Rick Lang

Andrew HATFIELD

PostSat May 08, 2021 9:52 am

smunaut wrote:yeah, codec is always 24b pcm ... (at least in the bmpcc4k, that's the only cam I have and tested on ... but I don't see why they would do it differently in other cams. the audio bitrate is nothing vs the video one)

Brad Hurley wrote:I think Andrew was asking whether the audio quality recorded in-camera by the BMPCC 4K differs depending on the codec you choose for video. As far as I know, these are independent: the camera should record 48k/24 bit wav files regardless of the video codec chosen.

Thanks for replies this is what I was looking for.

Return to Cinematography