HDMI to 3G-SDI converter for cameras

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Ellory Yu

HDMI to 3G-SDI converter for cameras

PostFri May 07, 2021 3:29 pm

My field monitors uses SDI and I prefer SDI over HDMI. They work well with the Ursa product line. However, the pockets only have HDMI. Can BMD make a HDMI-to-SDI converter that is the size of a small thumb drive that can fit in nicely between the cables without extra weight like the other micro converters they make today? Also, not sure how they can power it without extra cabling too (or something that can be powered from a D-Tap or USB out of a V-mount batt). This is specifically for camera use in the field, run-n-gun, etc.

EDIT: I saw this on Amazon but I'm not sure how well this works with the Pocket 4/6K HDMI out to a SmallHD 3G-SDI in monitor, and how best to power it if it could work.
https://www.amazon.com/Converter-Adapte ... 01&sr=8-43
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Denny Smith

Re: HDMI to 3G-SDI converter for cameras

PostSat May 08, 2021 5:25 am

First the BNC connector that SDI uses is larger than a USB drive case could use as a connector. Using the mini BNC connector might work. BMD makes a Micro Converter HDMI to SDI 3G that is designed to work with the Pocket camera to feed a SDi monitor. Since the Pocket camera is only a 1080p output, the 3G converter is the one to use.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Ellory Yu

Re: HDMI to 3G-SDI converter for cameras

PostSat May 08, 2021 5:52 am

Denny Smith wrote:First the BNC connector that SDI uses is larger than a USB drive case could use as a connector. Using the mini BNC connector might work. BMD makes a Micro Converter HDMI to SDI 3G that is designed to work with the Pocket camera to feed a SDi monitor. Since the Pocket camera is only a 1080p output, the 3G converter is the one to use.
Cheers

Hi Denny. Nice to hear from you again. I have the BMD Micro Converter HDMI to SDI 3G. It just too bulky and power requires a pole connector. That's why I'm looking for a much smaller option with a USB type-c power.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Return to Cinematography