How to reduce shutter on the BMPCC6K/4K/Pro?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Paul Jonathan

How to reduce shutter on the BMPCC6K/4K/Pro?

PostMon May 10, 2021 3:26 pm

About to shoot a scene next week with a particular challenging setup - going in a round-about looking in towards the center. In the foreground there are several flag poles going through the frame, obviously kind of the worst case scenario in terms of rolling shutter.

Now I was wondering if there are any strategies in terms of reducing rolling shutter? I know the 12k has different readout times for various sensor sizes. So I was thinking if perhaps I shoot at 2k 120 FPS the readout obviously has to be faster. I could then speed those clips up again to normal speed. Or would the same effect be shooting at normale frame rate with a faster shutter?

Normally I would use a different camera but budget doesn't allow for that so I am looking for ideas and suggestions how to make this work with the BMPCC6K Pro. The car isn't going too fast (around 30kph) but the flag poles are quite close to the camera.

John Brawley

Re: How to reduce shutter on the BMPCC6K/4K/Pro?

PostMon May 10, 2021 4:19 pm

Unfortunately the 6k has one of the slower sensor readout speeds.

When you use one of the sensor crops you can reduce the sensor integration time.

Of course it’s diminishing returns because you’re also reducing resolution.

From memory the 6k is just under 20ms full sensor but if your shoot 5.7k it comes down to just under 17ms. That’s probably a good first step.

If you shoot in the more cropped modes you will get a lot better but I find those modes to be a big visual compromise. So at 2.7k you get down to 8ms. If it was day, well lit, then you might get away with it. Perhaps you can test it ?

Frame rates are less effective at reducing this. Depends too of course on the creative drive of the scene.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

rick.lang

PostMon May 10, 2021 4:41 pm

Can you test using an HD crop as well perhaps with a wider angle lens? It might work the best.
Rick Lang

Paul Jonathan

PostMon May 10, 2021 4:48 pm

JB thanks for dropping some knowledge here as usual, really helpful!

The scene is day, but lot's of fine detail (grass, moving leaves etc). I will test the different resolution modes and see. Will definitely go up to Q0 for that scene that to somewhat counter the decreased sensor quality. Would you recommend also using a lower shutter (i.e. 45 or 90 degrees)? I could live with the reduced motion blur, but wondering if shutter time actually changes anything about readout speeds.

8ms I remember is almost Amira territory? So that might be good enough, will have to test the visual compromise.

Return to Cinematography