BMD,Suggestion for an EVF 6kpro type for the 4-6pk

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

ricardo marty

BMD,Suggestion for an EVF 6kpro type for the 4-6pk

PostMon May 10, 2021 6:05 pm

BMD you already have a small evf that can be adapted with limitations to the other 4-6pk cameras.
It doesn't need all the bells and whistles and probably can't. But the hardware is mostly there incl. size and fit.

Make it an hdmi or usb-c connector and maybe powered by usb-c connector or small battery or connected to an external one. Just for focusing under hard light with a good diopter for us highly myopic and the older and maybe something to lock it into the bmd universe if you prefer. but I'm sure other will also want it. I would pay the same amount that the pro version costs but I suggest 295.00. Remember just a simple version.

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

Ellory Yu

Re: BMD,Suggestion for an EVF 6kpro type for the 4-6pk

PostMon May 10, 2021 6:28 pm

I agree. In fact, the same EVF probably would work for any BMD camera. All it needs is an adapting base that will have contacts to the current P6K Pro EVF electronics with a 1/4-20 mounting base that has HDMI and USB-C for power (or something like a small battery pack). With that, it can be attached to anything that mounts a 1/4-20 base, such as a magic arm or the likes.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

ricardo marty

PostMon May 10, 2021 7:56 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:I agree. In fact, the same EVF probably would work for any BMD camera. All it needs is an adapting base that will have contacts to the current P6K Pro EVF electronics with a 1/4-20 mounting base that has HDMI and USB-C for power (or something like a small battery pack). With that, it can be attached to anything that mounts a 1/4-20 base, such as a magic arm or the likes.

Yes but as far as I know the hdmi on these cameras does not power anything it just to output video. I'm sure they ill sell tons of these. I think that the small size and simplicity should not consume much electricity at least not as much as monitor or external recorder. But i'm no engineer.

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

John Brawley

PostTue May 11, 2021 3:31 pm

Pretty sure it doesn’t work like this.

Something needs to “drive” the monitor. A driver card :-)

It’s built into the 6kPro. But not the 4k.

So you’d still need some kind of processor to create the image for the display inside the EVF. That’s why it’s so small :-)

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

joet444

PostThu Jul 22, 2021 6:36 pm

John Brawley wrote:Pretty sure it doesn’t work like this.

So you’d still need some kind of processor to create the image for the display inside the EVF. That’s why it’s so small :-)

JB

Hmm, while I'd agree that it's unlikely that the display panel in the EVF takes HDMI directly, the interface to most display-panels these days is an HDMI-like serial stream of pixels plus clocks/syncs which may actually be encoded into those pixel streams. It doesn't need a frame-buffer elsewhere which is what I'm guessing you mean by 'driver card'.

I would however agree that you'd need something to convert the HDMI output from the P4K/6K to the flavour of serial-pixels that the EVF speaks, which could well be an off-the-shelf single chip solution, that would only need a few cm^2 of PCB - so I don't think size is necessarily an issue.

To be useful though, I doubt many folk would want to lose their HDMI output and USB-C for power, so you'd need an external power input and HDMI-pass-through. This adds connectors and complexty, which pushes the size and price of the adapter 'dongle' up. Would folk pay $150 for an adapter for a $500 EVF, or would they go for the Portkeys LEYE instead?

ricardo marty

PostThu Jul 22, 2021 6:59 pm

joet444 wrote:
John Brawley wrote:Pretty sure it doesn’t work like this.

JB

Hmm, while I'd agree that it's unlikely that the display panel in the EVF takes HDMI directly, the interface to most display-panels these days is an HDMI-like serial stream of pixels plus clocks/syncs which may actually be encoded into those pixel streams. It doesn't need a frame-buffer elsewhere which is what I'm guessing you mean by 'driver card'.

I'm no engineer but maybe there could be a pass through out of the evf either from the hemi or the usb to feed whatever. I'm only talking of an evf for checking focus under harsh lights and for those who have vision impairment.

Ricardo Marty

Ricardo Marty.

I would however agree that you'd need something to convert the HDMI output from the P4K/6K to the flavour of serial-pixels that the EVF speaks, which could well be an off-the-shelf single chip solution, that would only need a few cm^2 of PCB - so I don't think size is necessarily an issue.

To be useful though, I doubt many folk would want to lose their HDMI output and USB-C for power, so you'd need an external power input and HDMI-pass-through. This adds connectors and complexty, which pushes the size and price of the adapter 'dongle' up. Would folk pay $150 for an adapter for a $500 EVF, or would they go for the Portkeys LEYE instead?

Return to Cinematography