6K Pro charging never stops

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

TesLatino

PostTue May 11, 2021 4:03 pm

This week I replaced a less-than-a-month-old 6K Pro with a new one by way of warranty because it failed to turn on a couple of times with fully charged batteries. That previous camera would keep blinking red and amber when plugged in to charge.

The new 6K Pro is also blinking as if it is charging since yesterday. But it alternates between the red and amber LED color. I am pretty sure the batteries are fully charged by now. I have the battery grip installed, so there are three batteries in play.

Is this normal? The manual says that once the batteries are fully charged, it should stop blinking.

I searched for a long time before posting this to make sure I am not asking something that was already answered, but I can't find this issue anywhere online. Not here or anywhere on the web.

Any insight is much appreciated.
Rafael a.k.a. TesLatino

rick.lang

Re: 6K Pro charging never stops

PostTue May 11, 2021 10:51 pm

Two cameras with a charging problem? I’d question how I’m charging the batteries and verifying they are fully charged. Please provide lots more information.
Rick Lang

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostWed May 12, 2021 1:05 am

Hi,

Do you have 3 batteries in use here? 2 in the grip and one in the body?

Ryan Payne

PostWed May 12, 2021 3:47 am

It could be that you are using 3 different batteries, either in age or in mAH. It's my understanding that if you mix batteries the higher mAH batteries will attempt to charge the weak link or lower mAH battery. Creating a never ending cycle of batteries discharging and attempting to charge.

Could this be the issue?

dmalovic

PostThu May 13, 2021 12:22 am

Just to add to the doscussion, I have the same thing on my 6kpro. Using the original battery in the camera and the Patona batteries in the grip, they are 3500mAh like the original battery.

If I charge the batteries, any of the 3 in the camera without the grip, the charging ends well. If they are all attached, the charging indicator will never shut off, it constantly blinks red and white I think. What gives?

rick.lang

PostThu May 13, 2021 12:38 am

Would charging these batteries in an external charger solve the issue? Of course that’s an extra expense and this problem may have another solution.
Rick Lang

GuilhermeTavares

PostSun May 16, 2021 1:03 pm

Hello. I am facing the same situation. Exactly the same situation. And I'm also concerned that this could damage the camera.

TesLatino

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 6:37 pm

Ryan Payne wrote:It could be that you are using 3 different batteries, either in age or in mAH. It's my understanding that if you mix batteries the higher mAH batteries will attempt to charge the weak link or lower mAH battery. Creating a never ending cycle of batteries discharging and attempting to charge.

Could this be the issue?

All three batteries are the same. I am using the one that came with the camera and two extras I purchased. No clones.
Rafael a.k.a. TesLatino

TesLatino

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 6:37 pm

Kristian Lam wrote:Hi,

Do you have 3 batteries in use here? 2 in the grip and one in the body?

Yes.
Rafael a.k.a. TesLatino

TesLatino

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 6:41 pm

rick.lang wrote:Would charging these batteries in an external charger solve the issue? Of course that’s an extra expense and this problem may have another solution.

Yes. It works fine when I use external chargers. I have two which I can use to charge these and the bigger ones that I can use on my Dracast lights. It only happens when charging them using the camera with the grip to charge all three. I thought it was a defective grip, so I returned the original one and the new one does the same. Also in the new 6k pro, as I returned the first one I bought because it had a problem.

So original cam with original grip had the problem.

New camera with original grip as well.

And new camera with new grip.

All with "OEM" batteries.
Rafael a.k.a. TesLatino

dmalovic

PostSat Dec 18, 2021 11:59 pm

Has there been any resolution to this? In the mean time, I purchased OEM batteries, and still the same behavior occurs. The top two batteries get fully charged, to 8.5V, but the bottom one, whichever that one is never reaches full charge. And it lasts a tad less long. The problem with charging with the external charger (any recommendations?) is one needs to frequently remove the batteries from the grip, thereby damaging the connectors, causing wear.

Here is a video of that final stage of charging that never ends:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/YB75Dund7owRcnp77

rick.lang

PostTue Dec 21, 2021 9:23 pm

When I try to recharge the BMPCC4K’s BMD battery in my Canon charger it never seems to finish; so I use that in the camera with a charging cable to power the camera and that tops up the BMD battery to Green when the camera is Off. My genuine Canon batteries charge fully in the Canon charger.
Rick Lang

carlomacchiavello

PostThu Dec 23, 2021 6:04 am

Every battery is different.
Today all gear producer try to lock us to him.
For example I not be able to charge Fuji original x-t4 battery on 3 different charger, but I charge correctly in camera, in camera I cannot charge patona or baxxtar battery that charge correctly with their charger.
Lp6 for pockets charge correctly with old patona charger but not with newer charger (patona), but I can charge lp6 Pantona in every flavour.
Some battery had a chip to verify the charge and incidentally stop charge on not original charger (Fuji not sold charger for x-t4, start after 9 months of camera selling).
Sometimes I think that there are somewhere people that work only to complicate our life.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

onceuponatyne

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 9:51 am

Hi Guys,

Was there ever a solution to this?

I ask, as I'm new to my BMPCC 6k Pro and the forums and literally have this issue - posted a topic yesterday prior to finding this thread.

onceuponatyne wrote:Hi Guys,

Relatively new to Blackmagic (brand new to the forum), loving my BMPCC 6k Pro.

I'm using it with the official battery grip and three genuine OEM batteries.
When I charge from the official adapter, it doesn't stop with a green light. It cycles through amber, red and then off - until I unplug the charger.

I've today updated the firmware to 7.9.1 (latest I believe) - it's had no effect on this at all.

Can anyone suggest a solution, or is it not something worth worrying about?
My concern is that it's probably not great for the kit for it to be endlessly attempting to recharge.

Return to Cinematography