SLR Magic 50mm Hyperprime PL - Rear ring

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

jonstatt

PostThu May 13, 2021 9:33 am

I picked up a clearance copy of this lens for half price in the UK, sold as new.

I'm using it on a BMPCC 6k at the moment and love the image quality it provides.

However I cannot get a straight answer if the lens is missing a part or not.

The anamorphot 50mm had a screw in rear ring which you have to remove to add the PL to EF adapter .

The hyperprime was missing this ring. The lens seemed new but did have an abrasion mark on one of the PL mount petals which suggests it may have been opened to demo. PL lenses typically get marks from the very first time they are used.

Unboxing videos from 3 years ago show the ring but B&H website and other shopping websites show it without the ring.

Does anyone know if they stopped shipping with this ring? I must confess, I don't know what it does other than help aid the mounting .

rick.lang

PostThu May 13, 2021 5:10 pm

Not sure, but it sounds like a newer design removed the ring so it is more compatible with third-party mount adapters. As I recall the ring was removed a few years ago.

If B&H doesn’t include the ring, they may have the newer design. See if B&H comments on the use of mount adapters.
Rick Lang

John Brawley

Re: SLR Magic 50mm Hyperprime PL - Rear ring

PostThu May 13, 2021 5:28 pm

I have a memory of this being a cosmetic thing and that they changed after the first versions.

You should reach out to Andrew at SLR magic. He’s on Facebook or though their website.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

jonstatt

PostFri May 14, 2021 6:19 am

John Brawley wrote:I have a memory of this being a cosmetic thing and that they changed after the first versions.

You should reach out to Andrew at SLR magic. He’s on Facebook or though their website.

JB
Thanks for the replies. The screw thread for the ring is still there on mine so at least in this copy, the design of the mount hasn't changed. Possibly just the inclusion of the ring. I saw the 85mm one and it really does have a different design with no thread.

The 50mm anamorphot is a very recent copy and does have the ring.

I did try and reach Andrew but he isn't responding on Facebook. So I emailed and someone called John started to reply and thought the ring should be there, but then disappeared on me.

Several UK dealers have stopped selling SLR Magic because of issues like this and inconsistencies in stock and communication. Lucky for me I got a bargain out of it. If the ring really is just cosmetic, I will probably just forget about it but it would be nice to be sure.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Ryan Earl

PostFri May 14, 2021 4:53 pm

jonstatt wrote: I saw the 85mm one and it really does have a different design with no thread.

If you wanted to add the EF mount adapter to the 85mm you would have to remove the black rear ring. With the 50mm it's possible to add the aluminum EF adapter and not take off the ring.

It would be helpful if they got back to you, but I haven't found an issue with mostly leaving the rings off when mounting back onto a PL camera.

John Brawley

PostFri May 14, 2021 10:36 pm

Ryan Earl wrote:
jonstatt wrote: I saw the 85mm one and it really does have a different design with no thread.

If you wanted to add the EF mount adapter to the 85mm you would have to remove the black rear ring. With the 50mm it's possible to add the aluminum EF adapter and not take off the ring.

It would be helpful if they got back to you, but I haven't found an issue with mostly leaving the rings off when mounting back onto a PL camera.

Yeah I'm being vague because I really can't remember but I feel like he changed the design after the first initial run and it was no longer required.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

jonstatt

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 9:35 am

To conclude on this.

The design has not changed and the 50mm Hyperprime still includes the ring. SLR Magic told me the lens has been sitting for more than 2 years and nobody could offer an explanation. SLR Magic agreed to give me a free ring but asked I pay for fedex shipping. As I only paid half price for the lens, I accepted and have the ring now.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Return to Cinematography