Best Lenses for Black Magic Ursa Mini 4K?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

pauljacobproductions

PostFri May 14, 2021 5:46 pm

I recently purchased a Black Magic Ursa Mini 4K. I want to make sure I have the best cinematic lenses possible to ensure the best quality. I don't have a clue what to buy.
Does anyone have any recommendations?

Mattias Kristiansson

Re: Best Lenses for Black Magic Ursa Mini 4K?

PostWed May 19, 2021 5:41 pm

MFT lensens? For an Ursa Mini 4K? Don't think so... I guess it has EF or PL mount, so MFT will hardly fit.
If it's an EF mount I'd start by getting a Lucadapter for it. I have the 4K sensor on my big URSA, I didn't exactly find that 4K sensor with 400 iso and crop 1,7 that ideal... but installing the Lucadapter pretty much made it an 800 iso crop 1.2 camera which is a great improvement.
https://www.lucadapterstore.com/product ... booster-4k
After installing the lucadapter, I find that the my second hand Canon EF 24-70/2.8L is usually the lens of choice on my big URSA. It offers good bang-for buck if you buy one used on eBay and it can usually get the job done, but there's a lot of good other options also, it all depends on what type of stuff you're shooting.

Ellory Yu

PostThu May 20, 2021 6:38 am

First of, URSA mini line of cameras do not have MFT mounts. The come with EF by default but other mounts like PL are available and can be swapped on the Pro G1/G2 and 12K models.

There is no such thing as best lenses. Different lenses delivers a character to the image, from bad or good, soft to sharp or contrasting. The image you desire will dictate what lens you should choose.

As a personal opinion, I don’t like using adapters like focal reducers or to adopt another lens mount.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

rick.lang

PostThu May 20, 2021 3:42 pm

The OP should confirm the lens mount on the camera and how they wish to use the camera, such as landscapes or wildlife or corporate interviews or commercials and so on. And state their preference for shooting with zoom lenses or prime lenses.

Nice to see someone wanting to use the best lenses, but we should have some guidance on the total budget for lenses since some lenses may be a few hundred dollars and other lenses tens of thousands of dollars.
Rick Lang

Ellory Yu

PostFri May 21, 2021 4:05 pm

Suggested lenses for the UM 4K based on budget to start with... this is not an exhaustive list.
Up to $1000
1. Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 ART EF-Mount

Up to $2000
1. Sigma 18-35 and 50-100mm f/1.8 EF-Mount
2. Rokinon Xeen 35mm or 50mm T1.5

Up to $5000
1. ZEISS CP.3 compact primes
2. DZOFilm Pictor 20-55mm and 50-125 T2.8
3. Rokinon Xeen 24, 50, 85mm T1.5 set

Up to $8000
1. Any of the DZOFilm VESPID Primes or PICTOR Parfocal Zooms set

$10K and Up
1. Cooke Cine Primes
2. ARRI Signature Zoom Lens
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Jeffrey D Mathias

PostSat May 22, 2021 6:30 pm

Ok, I'll give this a shot. Your best lens will be the lens that gives you what you want. For some it might even be a pin-hole, which is sort of not even a lens. And yes I have made footage with a pin-hole on my URSA Mini Pro, but it works much better of my pocket 4K at ISO3200. Some even say the quality of a pin-hole can't be beat (but that's just rhythm of a different beat.) Now... if you haven't much idea of what it is you might like to see in your "best quality cinematic image" I would recommend researching a bunch of films you find appealing for their particular imagery to find out what lenses were used. (of course lighting has much to do, as well as some other things, but understand I am talking about imagery relating to the lens.) Second recommendation is to buy cheep or even rent first (cheaply). Cheep means an amount of money that you don't care to just throw away to give something a try. Note that once you experience one lens you may realize you may wish another, different in some way. Another note (and this is a big one) is that 'how is this footage imagery to be displayed' can and will have some influence. Of course another approach might be to just pick a lens and make it work... this lens might even turn out to be the best of the best.
AMD Threadripper 1950x 16-core 3.4 GHz
96 GB Crucial DDR4 2666 ECC UDIMM RAM
AsRock Fatal1ty x399 motherboard
AMD Radeon Pro WX 8200 GPU
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit version 22H2, build 19045.3208
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
iPad Pro M2

Return to Cinematography