Grabbing stills from BMPCC4K footage

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Joakley

Grabbing stills from BMPCC4K footage

PostSun May 16, 2021 3:47 am

What’s up. I’ve got kind of an off the wall question.

I understand that the pocket 4K has the ability to take photos. But obviously I didn’t buy it for this purpose. In fact, although I understand that photography is the language of cinematography, stills photography just doesn’t really interest me.

However, I was wondering if grabbing a still and sort of using it as a photo was a thing. Like if there’s a particular frame that is just really great looking and I want to use it...not for print or anything, but say I’m shooting some stuff for a small company’s social media or something and I want to hook them up with some “photos” for their Instagram or whatever.

Is it as simple as exporting a graded still? Are there other factors that need to be taken into account? I know, with stuff like Instagram in particular, it’s not uncommon for businesses to simply snap mediocre photos with their smartphones. But if I’ve got some neat looking grabs that are obviously better than a smart phone picture, I wonder if these can be used as filler.

Anybody do this?

Mark Foster

Re: Grabbing stills from BMPCC4K footage

PostSun May 16, 2021 3:52 pm

cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

carlomacchiavello

Re: Grabbing stills from BMPCC4K footage

PostSun May 16, 2021 10:19 pm

Joakley wrote:What’s up. I’ve got kind of an off the wall question.

I understand that the pocket 4K has the ability to take photos. But obviously I didn’t buy it for this purpose. In fact, although I understand that photography is the language of cinematography, stills photography just doesn’t really interest me.

However, I was wondering if grabbing a still and sort of using it as a photo was a thing. Like if there’s a particular frame that is just really great looking and I want to use it...not for print or anything, but say I’m shooting some stuff for a small company’s social media or something and I want to hook them up with some “photos” for their Instagram or whatever.

Is it as simple as exporting a graded still? Are there other factors that need to be taken into account? I know, with stuff like Instagram in particular, it’s not uncommon for businesses to simply snap mediocre photos with their smartphones. But if I’ve got some neat looking grabs that are obviously better than a smart phone picture, I wonder if these can be used as filler.

Anybody do this?
Yes :-)

https://www.macchiavello.com/wp/en/shoo ... a-cameras/
Here my experience and my suggestions

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Return to Cinematography