Zhiyun Crane 2s & BMPCC 6K Pro

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

William Allum

Zhiyun Crane 2s & BMPCC 6K Pro

PostMon May 17, 2021 2:13 pm

Hi guys,

I did have a search for this, but couldn't see anything specific for the 6K pro. Just wondered if anyone has used the camera on this gimbal, how easy it was to use, and how well it actually worked?

I used to have the DJI Ronin-S, and was using the BMPCC 4K on it with the tilta tactical cage, but found it really hard to use, the camera barely fit on the gimbal, but did work.

I'm hoping the 6K pro might work better on the Crane 2s, using a Sigma 18-35mm Art lense.

Thanks in advance.

William Allum

Re: Zhiyun Crane 2s & BMPCC 6K Pro

PostSun May 23, 2021 8:31 am

This is the best video I have seen so far relating to this.

Johannes Jonsson

PostMon May 24, 2021 11:06 am

Crane 2s will handle 6K pro with ease with what ever lens. No counterweights or any mod needed at all, just put it the camera on the gimbal, balance, turn it on and go shooting.
Johannes

SarahMP

PostMon Jan 10, 2022 12:04 pm

Will it also work with a tilta cage and the tilta nano focus motor attached to the 6k pro? (Still the same sigma 18-35 lens also)

angela

PostSun May 14, 2023 6:42 pm

Hi

Old post but just got the Zhiyun Crane 2s for my BMPCC 6k *pro*

Just the camera and light prime lens - that's it for now anyway.

Won't balance just get the roll axis coming back to centre.

shows exact problem. Been here 5 hours and got nowhere. Tried the riser plate - just the same.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Thanks in advance
Angela

John Paines

PostSun May 14, 2023 8:11 pm

Despite what you hear from youtubbers and over-enthusiastic owners ("balances flawlessly" etc.) most cameras don't balance on all axis. This youtube guy didn't show it's performance on the other axis after the adjustment, and he was careful not to push his luck with what he did show.

I just looked at a video called "How To perfectly balance a Black Magic 4k on a Zhiyun Crane 2". Only one problem: he didn't actually balance it. Another video on the 6K and Crane 2 didn't even bother to show it was balanced (just the usual slow motion, quick cuts and upper body closeups, to conceal poor operating--and possibly poor balance). The video recommended at the top the thread doesn't show balance either.

With a light prime lens, you may need counterweights and/or setting the camera body towards the front. Or raising it. Or walking around the maypole three times..... Unless you've seen anyone actually balance a particular camera, there's no way to know what's possible. Even if there was a cookbook for the body, there likely won't be one for the body+lens.

After your best efforts, what happens when you turn on the gimbal? Are the motors powerful enough to compensate for poor balance and correct for it? That may be the best you can hope for, which is what these other guys are doing.

Then all you have to do is master the walk..... And still bob up and down.

angela

PostSun May 14, 2023 9:13 pm

Hi

Thanks I've spent 8 solid hours on trying to balance BM6kpro on Z2s. Took about 10 minutes to balance my GH5 on it. So not an expert but no way a total noob to gimbal balancing. I've had Weebil s for about 3 years and it's been great with different cameras and lenses.

Got it off Ebay just requested a refund. I'll try a camera dealer next time see if they can suggest something better. Roll seems a common problem with Z2s scrolling around other forums.

Thank you again

Poozon

PostMon May 15, 2023 6:01 pm

John Paines wrote:Another video on the 6K and Crane 2 ...

Maybe not an exact answer to your question but I have BMPCC 6K G2 and Crane 2. There is no way to balance it, maybe I would have to use some crazy counter-balance.

As a result I use this camera with Flycam Redking and this camera is on the verge of Redking stabilisation capabilities when I use a very light lens.

Johannes Jonsson

PostTue May 16, 2023 7:32 am

I have used Crane 2s couple of times for the 6k pro in a full cage with sigma 18-35 plus accessories and there was no problem balancing at all, all 3 axis balanced perfectly.
No matter what position I put the camera in it stayed there the gimbal turned off, tilted in what ever degree up or down and the roll axis left or right ad the gimbal leaning to the sides.
I would have bought Crane 2s my self but I needed one with bigger payload for the UMP G2.

P.s. OP is talking about Crane 2s not the OG Crane 2 witch are two completely different gimbals in every way.
Johannes

angela

PostWed May 17, 2023 8:44 am

Hi

Whatever I do the roll axis swings back to centre. I've tried my GH5 camera on the same gimbal, same thing it swings back to centre on the roll axis. I don't have another Crane 2s to compare it with so I honestly can't say if it's a fault with the gimbal.

Johannes Jonsson

PostWed May 17, 2023 11:42 am

I second Kims suggestion, video would help a lot.
When roll axis swings back to centre means the camera is sitting to low, bottom heavy and needs to be raised up on the adjustment on the tilt motor.
Johannes

Johannes Jonsson

PostWed May 17, 2023 11:47 am

P.s.
I did a quick youtube search and found this simple video that does quite well explaining how to balance correctly on all axis.
Last edited by Johannes Jonsson on Wed May 17, 2023 12:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Johannes

angela

PostWed May 17, 2023 12:51 pm

Thank you all

Video is pretty much the procedure I follow to balance.

I'll get a video together and upload in case there is something I'm missing.

Appreciate all the help

angela

PostWed May 17, 2023 4:31 pm

Hi

Video (sorry poor quality) shows the tilt balancing fine.

So I adjust roll to it's extremes then fine tune to find the sweet spot of gravity but then it just returns to center rather than staying in place like the tilt does.

https://rumble.com/v2obgnc-may-17-2023.html

Thanks again

Johannes Jonsson

PostWed May 17, 2023 5:08 pm

Ok, I may have spotted the problem watching the video, at least part of the problem.
When you tighten the screw on the roll motor slider try this.

Lift the camera a bit to take all the camera weight of the roll axis slider so there will be no stress on the slider when you tighten the screw, it is possible that it does not fall 100% in place so you might still have 0.*** some degree lean on the arm.
This is not so un common when balancing gimbals.

Then do a bit more adjustment on the tilt axis again with the lens pointing upwards, it seams to be just a tiny bit off moving forwards when you take your hand of the camera, few small things adds up.

Also I can see that you do not have the extension arm on that axis witch is good, if you removed that extension your self then make sure those eight screws are fairly tighten, not over tighten them thought.

One thing when you are balancing each axis then keep all other axis locked, then when going to another axis lock the one you have finished and free the one you are going to be working on. it makes everything much easier.

Also as Kim pointed out, take your time, don´t do this in a hurry ;)
Johannes

angela

PostFri May 19, 2023 4:53 pm

Thanks for all your help

Tried all suggestions (roll does have a little wiggle) so I know what you mean by pulling camera up to take weight of the slider but unfortunately made no difference.

Tilt rebalanced correctly again no difference.

There's a camera shop not too far away said they will take a look at it so if I find out anything useful I'll post back on here for anyone passing with the same issue.

Had to step away from it - doing my head in.

Thanks again everyone for taking time out to offer advice - it is appreciated.

Johannes Jonsson

PostFri May 19, 2023 6:04 pm

Sorry to hear that.
Hope you will have it up and running sooner then later.
Best of luck
Johannes

angela

PostSat May 20, 2023 4:41 pm

Thank you Kim

Will give that a try although I did try an autotune - it was all over the place not the low vibration I get with my Weebil S / GH5. Don't want to try using it and risking damaging my BM camera if it flips out on me.

Return to Cinematography