Can I use a four thirds lens with an adaptor on my BMPC4?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

blakeyman

Can I use a four thirds lens with an adaptor on my BMPC4?

PostMon May 17, 2021 7:49 pm

Hi all

I'm a bit of a newbie here having only *just* bought my camera (and 2 lenses)

One I've bought is a Olympus 8mm f3.5 Zuiko Digital ED Fisheye Lens - Four Thirds Mount (p/n N2127892) *thinking* I could simply get an adapter.
Now I'm not sure...

Is there such a thing (an adpater) and will this lens work ok?

Where is there more info about different lens mounts and adpaters that can work with a BMPC4?

Thanks in advance,
Paul

John Griffin

Re: Can I use a four thirds lens with an adaptor on my BMPC4

PostTue May 18, 2021 5:15 pm

blakeyman wrote:Hi all

I'm a bit of a newbie here having only *just* bought my camera (and 2 lenses)

One I've bought is a Olympus 8mm f3.5 Zuiko Digital ED Fisheye Lens - Four Thirds Mount (p/n N2127892) *thinking* I could simply get an adapter.
Now I'm not sure...

Is there such a thing (an adpater) and will this lens work ok?

Where is there more info about different lens mounts and adpaters that can work with a BMPC4?

Thanks in advance,
Paul

It will connect to the camera and you can control the aperture but forget about any AF functionality. Worth getting the 12-60 2.8-4 SWD which is a very good lens which has a descent proper MF operation.

John Brawley

PostTue May 18, 2021 5:34 pm

Yeah you can get a 4/3--> m43 adaptor.

Something like this
https://www.ebay.com/b/Olympus-Mmf-3/30 ... 7023332381

The MMF3 in Olympus is dust and splash proof. But your camera isn't, so you can also get a MMF2 or MMF1 and it should work the same. These are going to be the most expensive as they are the on-brand versions. There's a Panasonic / Lumix one as well. There will also be after market versions that might cost a bit less.

If you go down this path there are some legendary 4/3 lenses, especially in Olympus. The 14-35 F2 along with the 35-100 F2 zooms are optically still right up there and the 150mm F2 as well. However, they were designed pre video in DSLR so they generally aren't par focal (focus changes as you zoom) and they do have a little bit more breathing than some people like.

As stills lenses they are truly unique. It's (was) unusual to get a zoom range in that aperture. These days Sigma re doing them, but I think the Oly is better built, and better optics.

JB

(Olympus visionary, but I bought and paid for all my own 4/3 gear back in the day)
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

blakeyman

PostThu May 20, 2021 9:10 pm

Thanks for that advice - much appreaciated!!!

Predominately after a fish-eye and this one popped up at a great price (which is why I jumped at it)

Looks like a MMF3 is in order then!

Return to Cinematography