Using a 6K Pro With a Gimbal & Pulling Focus

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

pacificmm

Using a 6K Pro With a Gimbal & Pulling Focus

PostWed Jun 02, 2021 2:50 am

I just received my 6K Pro. My previous camera enabled me to use a gimbal and had auto focus. So, operating the camera, the gimbal, and focus was all rather easy while moving the camera.

Now the 6K Pro does not have auto focus. Use of a gimbal suggests lots of camera movement. While I would certainly like to be able to use the 6K Pro with a gimbal it is not clear to me how that can be done realistically while also pulling focus as the camera moves.

Is it possible to pull focus with a 6K Pro while using a gimbal and moving the camera or is that not realistic?

Please advise if that can be done and if so how. I'm considering possibly getting a DJI RS 2 gimbal.

Thanks!

Michael Sandiford

Re: Using a 6K Pro With a Gimbal & Pulling Focus

PostThu Jun 03, 2021 6:13 am

Doesn't the rs2 have the lidar auto focus unit which will replace the need for in built.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

Mark Foster

PostThu Jun 03, 2021 12:54 pm

cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

pacificmm

PostFri Jun 04, 2021 6:06 pm

I checked out the link for the Ronin 3D Focus System which works with the DJI RS2. I purchased my 6K Pro from B&H and wanted to confirm compatibility of the 3D system with the 6K Pro.

I called B&H. They informed me that the 6K Pro would not work with the 3D system. In fact, they said there was no way to have the 6K Pro work with any auto focus system. The best that could be done was to use the Pro Combo DJI system which can assist with manual focus pulling - but will not provide auto focus.

So, this brings me back to my original question. Is there a way to use the 6K Pro with a gimbal and not need to do manual focus pulling?

Do you agree with B&H that the 6K Pro cannot work with any auto focus system or is there any other approach that could allow the 6K Pro to work with an auto focus system on a gimbal? Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!

rone6k

PostMon Jun 21, 2021 8:35 am

I successfully mounted the 6KPro to and RS2, with full manual control of focus and Iris.

You have to downgeade the firmware to a Beta on the RS2 - as the latest vesion loses control.

Also I had to use an offset plate from Smallrig to make it fit better.

I used two controllers on the RS2 - the built in wheel for Iris and a seperate Wheel from another Ronin Kit for Focus.

The only issue that remains is the Roll axis isn't perfect but doesn't appear to affect performance.

Return to Cinematography