Camera 7.3.2 Beta

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

Camera 7.3.2 Beta

PostTue Jun 08, 2021 2:09 am

Hi,

This link allows you to download Camera 7.3.2 beta

7.3.2b1_a2 - 8 June

https://bmdseeds.sharefile.com/d-sc04f08c2134b457dba7a32215d6997b3

7.3.2b1_a3 - 9 June

https://bmdseeds.sharefile.com/d-s98432 ... d88fd523da

7.3.2b1_a4 - 15 June (updated link)

https://bmdseeds.sharefile.com/d-s17d0fe9659da4d2db2090e5d81a0cc61
https://bmdseeds.sharefile.com/d-s08bfe ... 3572f72d67

If installing on macOS, please right-click and select 'Open..' if you run into security issues.

This release contains some additional fixes for improving lens compatibility. While it will also allow the Pocket Cinema Camera 6K and 6K Pro to be updated, there are no changes for these 2 cameras.

If you find an issue with this beta release, please report it in this thread, by stating the model of lens or lens and adapter combination you’re using.

If you’re trying out this beta release with a lens adapter, please note down the lens adapter make/model and also the firmware version.

To keep this thread relevant, off-topic posts will be deleted.

Thanks.

ricardo marty

Re: Camera 7.3.2 Beta

PostTue Jun 08, 2021 2:21 am

Does this substitute the previous update?

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jun 08, 2021 3:40 am

This is beta but in a way yes, this is the previous 7.3 update + additional lens compatiblity fixes.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostTue Jun 08, 2021 7:21 am

Hi Kristian. Thanks for working on this. I installed Camera Setup 7.3.2b1_a2_Mac, and it doesn't address the issue I reported previously concerning using the Pocket 4K with the Lumix 25mm f1.7 lens.

See:
viewtopic.php?p=763475&sid=cdcf2a85106fa00120ba7265ae331fce#p763475

Note: This issue occurs with two Pocket 4K cameras purchased ~ Jan. 2019, and two copies of this lens.

It's late. Tomorrow I'll test the beta firmware further. Cheers.

dondidnod

PostTue Jun 08, 2021 8:15 am

Panasonic has released a bunch of lens firmware updates.

It looks like BM users of Panasonic lenses will have to borrow some Panasonic cameras if they want all the latest bug fixes.

https://www.43rumors.com/panasonic-has- ... e-updates/

Eugenia Loli

PostTue Jun 08, 2021 9:23 am

I checked the new fw lens fixes, they are just fixes for more ring control, and faster AF. They don't address any mount or operational bugs. So updating these lenses by trying to find and borrow Panasonic cameras might not be necessary. If the 25mm f/1.7 stopped working, a lens that is well tested as it's the most popular MFT prime lens, the bugfix falls on BMD, and not on Panasonic.

I will be testing the new beta fw tomorrow, as it's late here. Thank you for the open beta!
Collage artist, illustrator, filmmaker: https://vimeo.com/eugenia

Ian Barbour

PostTue Jun 08, 2021 2:02 pm

Hello,

Thank you Kristian for posting this beta!

I installed the firmware on my Pocket 4K and here are my results:

Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm f/2.8 I - WORKING (was working before)
Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm f/2.8 II - WORKING (was working before)
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 100-400mm f/5-6.3 IS - NOT WORKING (no AF / MF or iris control)

The Olympus was not working before and I had tried downgrading the firmware as far back as 6.6 with no success. This is a relatively new lens from Olympus and it has no firmware updates since release as far as I know. I have tested the lens on a GH5 and it works fine, so I am pretty sure it is not a lens issue.

I'm pretty close to returning this lens as I bought it specifically for the Pocket 4K. If anyone from BMD can pipe in about the likelihood of having a fix for this particular issue, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

David Cherniack

PostTue Jun 08, 2021 3:07 pm

Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm f/2.8 first version - WORKING (was NOT working before)
David
Resolve Studio latest build
Windows 11 Pro
Decklink Mini Monitor 4k
Intel i9 7960x @ 4 GHz
Thermaltake Floe Riing 360 Water Cooler
Asus x299 Prime Deluxe
64GB 3333 Corsair Dominator ram
1 EVGA RTX 3090 XC3 Card
Areca Thunderbolt3 12 drive Raid

Eugenia Loli

PostWed Jun 09, 2021 1:45 am

Installed the new beta:

1. I can reproduce the bug that Peter linked above, the 25mm f/1.7 doesn't like it when Presets are changed back and forth. Possibly some bad state when changing presets?

2. The peaking is too low, even with the sharpest lenses. With vintage lenses, peaking is just not there, making it impossible to focus. Many others have reported on this issue in the last month on this forum. Peaking with gen5 needs to be much, much stronger.

3. Olympus MFT launch lenses from the late 2000s, don't autofocus. The 17mm f/2.8 sometimes won't even let me manually focus. The focus ring just acts dead (the BMPCC 4k's MFT mount not providing enough power?). If I power-cycle the 4k a few times, I can then manually focus (AF remains no-no). The same thing happens with the similarly old 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 zoom lens (the one with the 37mm filter thread).

3. Viltrox speedbooster still doesn't work when using its previous, stable firmware: Not only IRIS doesn't work with any EF lens, but also IS doesn't work either. The Viltrox comes online only for about 1/3 of a second showing IRIS info, and then it goes dead. It seems that either the Viltrox crashes, or it doesn't get enough power from the bmpcc4k's mount. Given that some people have mentioned that after LIVE-unmounting and re-mounting the adapter it comes to life, it's possible that the 4k does not provide the adapter with enough power to the lenses at boot time to operate. In fact, in the past, many people had problems with the IS of their EF lenses dropping in and out using that combo (IS would work for 3-4 seconds, then go off for 3-4 more seconds and so on). Which probably means that not enough power is given to run the adapter and EF lenses. Could you please test this with a Viltrox and an IS EF lens? For me, the Viltrox working and the focus peaking are my most important issues so far. Currently, Viltrox's "updated" firmware that makes it work with the bmpcc4k's v7.3 is a hack on their part, so I rather not install it. I rather stay with their stable firmware.

4. The Sigma 16mm f/1.4 worked ok.

After my testing, and while I may be way off in my estimation, it feels to me that all the lens problems people are reporting are mount power issues, rather than "true" incompatibility issues. The old Olympus lenses that exhibited the problems I described were the first in the MFT line, so as being older lenses, they did probably require more power than later, more optimized lenses. Same for Viltrox and Metabones, these are "heavy" adapters in terms of what they're doing, and how much complex software they run, so it's possible that they require more power than absolute minimum described by the MFT protocol. It's possible that in v7.3, the power distribution was adjusted ever so slightly, impacting some lenses. Is it possible to give the mount a tiny bit more power in the next beta to test this theory?

Update: I tested these lenses with an internal battery on the 4k btw. Haven't tested with 12V or USB power.

Mike Potton

PostWed Jun 09, 2021 4:42 am

Metabones .71 pocket edition and the trusty canon 17-55mm 2.8 is back to focusing properly via tap to focus with this beta, with 7.3.1 tap to focus was useless, it would search and land soft every time.

Fun fact, over crank to 100fps for super fast focusing, kinda neat to see how fast tap to focus can work when the refresh rate is increased.

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jun 09, 2021 6:27 am

New build uploaded. See the first post. This should hopefully help with the Olympus Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 100-400mm.

Edit. My bad, fix was not pulled in yet.

Ian Barbour

PostWed Jun 09, 2021 1:46 pm

Kristian Lam wrote:New build uploaded. See the first post. This should hopefully help with the Olympus Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 100-400mm.

Thank you Kristian. I installed this firmware build and unfortunately I am still having the same issue with the Olympus Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 100-400mm: manual focus ring does not work, AF button on camera does nothing, iris control does not work. :(

The f-stop shows up on screen, however I do not think it is accurate as it will continuously show "f5.0" regardless of the zoom length you are at (this lens is a 5.0-6.3).

I appreciate you trying to address this issue, but if it seems like this may be a continuing compatibility issue, I'm tempted to just return this lens.

As a side note, I did have the Panasonic equivalent Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm f/4-6.3 ASPH. a year ago and it worked flawlessly on the pocket 4K.

Ellory Yu

PostWed Jun 09, 2021 2:17 pm

Eugenia Loli wrote:Installed the new beta:
2. The peaking is too low, even with the sharpest lenses. With vintage lenses, peaking is just not there, making it impossible to focus. Many others have reported on this issue in the last month on this forum. Peaking with gen5 needs to be much, much stronger.

I tested it with a Pocket 6K and the peaking issue is not only on the 4K but also on the 6K. Exactly as how Eugenia described it for the 4K is true on the 6K as well.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jun 10, 2021 12:37 am

Ian Barbour wrote:
Kristian Lam wrote:New build uploaded. See the first post. This should hopefully help with the Olympus Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 100-400mm.

Thank you Kristian. I installed this firmware build and unfortunately I am still having the same issue with the Olympus Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 100-400mm: manual focus ring does not work, AF button on camera does nothing, iris control does not work. :(

The f-stop shows up on screen, however I do not think it is accurate as it will continuously show "f5.0" regardless of the zoom length you are at (this lens is a 5.0-6.3).

I appreciate you trying to address this issue, but if it seems like this may be a continuing compatibility issue, I'm tempted to just return this lens.

As a side note, I did have the Panasonic equivalent Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm f/4-6.3 ASPH. a year ago and it worked flawlessly on the pocket 4K.

My bad, the fix I thought was in there for this lens was not pulled in yet. Wait for the next build.

Eugenia Loli

PostThu Jun 10, 2021 1:50 am

An update to my not-enough-power theory above: The Viltrox comes back to life *sometimes* if I press the lens-release button a couple of times (without removing the adapter). It looks as if the adapter is starving for power, and the charged capacitors provide it with enough extra juice for a few seconds if I keep pressing the lens-release button, before it turns off again soon after.

Shaoyan

PostThu Jun 10, 2021 2:00 am

thanks Kristian.

I had a brief and focused test: panasonic lenses auto focus.

P4K 7.3.1 beta

lenses:

Panasonic Leica 12-60 with the latest firmware: about 2/10 complete misses, 4-5/10 off focus by a bit
panasonic 12-42 II (not the powerzoom pancake version): similar result as above.

focus peaking not quite useful, too weak. I guess it is because color science gen 5.

Addendum:

reverted back to 6.9.6: perfect auto focus every time.

Ian Barbour

PostThu Jun 10, 2021 5:08 am

Kristian Lam wrote:
Ian Barbour wrote:

My bad, the fix I thought was in there for this lens was not pulled in yet. Wait for the next build.
Have my fingers crossed! Thanks Kristian.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kontrakatze

PostThu Jun 10, 2021 4:34 pm

I found another bug (maybe someone can confirm this?):

bmpcc4k, firmware 7.3.2b1 a3 Mac
metabones speedbooster xl 0.64x bmpcc4kT ef to mft

Today I recorded some test-footage and the client requested to see some of his luts applied. Usually I just import those luts to the camera beforehand, record a sample, switch to playback and just before playback I switch the luts in camera using the lut menue. This way you get a quick preview/idea of what happens to the footage if different luts might get applied later on. Somehow with 7.3 I always have to change the lut two times to the one I want for it to actually get applied on playback. Only after the second switch you actually see the new lut applied on the internal/external monitor. Does not matter which lut I choose, one of my luts, client luts or the build in ones.

Step by step:

• record sample in Braw (no lut applied or backed in, or build in applied on monitor only does not matter)
• got to playback
• change lut to desired one using lut menue
• nothing changes
• change again to desired one using lut menu
• lut gets applied during playback on monitor.

I only record braw, usually 5.1 or with less compression right now to cfast only. No difference to used recording profile, no difference to used/selected lut.

Kind regards,
Stephan
Last edited by kontrakatze on Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stephan Schoenharting
Berlin, Germany
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9HVF-6TcKDkavfcqu0lFMQ/videos

kontrakatze

PostThu Jun 10, 2021 6:26 pm

So, did some quick testing, definitely not comprehensive:

IS on if available
open aperture for most shallow depth of field

* canon ef35 1:2 tap focus does something, but completely off (useless)
canon ef 24 1:2.8 tap focus working, but slightly off
**canon ef 85 1:1.8 tap focus sometimes working, sometimes stuck, focus always off
canon ef 50 1:1.8 tap focus working ok, did not work before

canon 24-105 L usm 1:4 working ok at all focal length
canon 16-35 L usm 1:4 working at 35, but off at 16
canon 24-70 L usm 1:2.8 working

manual focus: infinity on all lenses corresponds to metering on scale of lenses

Distance information in metadata mostly off and appears to be random sometimes. Ex: I measured about 2 meters by tape, metadata states ~5meters.

Uff, took some time, but I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Stephan
Stephan Schoenharting
Berlin, Germany

kontrakatze

PostThu Jun 10, 2021 6:41 pm

Addition to the power theory:

I second that idea. If my samsung t5 is connected to the usb port of the camera and a canon lens with IS is on, the bmpcc4k crashes every once in a while during booting/start up. Screen stays black, IS is apparently working (guess by hearing) and I have to remove all power sources. Same setup with cfast only: no problem. So it seems to be on the edge.

Power sources:
LP-Battery + battery plate with npf950 into power connector of the camera (two sources). I checked both batteries - both were fine and fully charged. Changed all cables, tested ssd. Never had this problem with firmware 6.x

Kind regards,
Stephan
Stephan Schoenharting
Berlin, Germany

kontrakatze

PostSat Jun 12, 2021 10:39 am

I took the time to make a list of tap focus working, distance readings.

The measured distance was done with a tape from object to sensor plane. Test object was a classic siemens star and a black and white ruler, light was perfect, lowest aperture was 2.0
The reading on the glasses themselves was always almost accurate to the measured distance by tape. I mean, as far as you can read the distances properly on a photo-lens...
Attachments
Readings.jpg
Readings
Readings.jpg (143.1 KiB) Viewed 86883 times
Stephan Schoenharting
Berlin, Germany

gasnik

PostSat Jun 12, 2021 11:47 am

I know that it's a bit of offtop, but I would love to finally see Autofocus working on Viltrox EF-MFT adapter working, if You are fixing lens compability <3

Mark Foster

PostSat Jun 12, 2021 11:51 am

gasnik wrote:I know that it's a bit of offtop, but I would love to finally see Autofocus working on Viltrox EF-MFT adapter working, if You are fixing lens compability <3

no, only viltrox can solve this problem and not blackmagic
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

Eugenia Loli

PostSun Jun 13, 2021 12:01 am

kontrakatze, I believe the issues you're detailing are with the Metabones adapter, not with the BMPCC 4k. While the BMPCC 4k might indeed have some miscommunication with the adapter resulting in some of these issues, the main burden falls on the compatibility of the Metabones adapter with these lenses. The burden falls on the BMPCC 4k only if you had these lenses work perfectly before, with an older bmpcc firmware, or with other MFT camera manufacturers. If these issues are universal, then it's Metabones' bugs instead.

kontrakatze

PostSun Jun 13, 2021 6:06 am

Frankly speaking, I'm not sure about the distance readings but can take a look at some older projects. But the autofocus, although not very often used, was working. I used autofocus sometimes, if the camera was on a gimbal and it got hectic. Right now, I can not trust autofocus.

As I'm aware that this could also be on the metabones, I send them the same information as I did here.

Have a nice day,
Stephan
Stephan Schoenharting
Berlin, Germany

kontrakatze

PostSun Jun 13, 2021 4:59 pm

So, I quickly imported two archived projects done with the old firmware but same camera and lenses. I have to admit I have no written notes left about the distances at which the shots were actually taken. So take it with a grain of salt:
Comparing the field of view with the lens taken (focal length), I would say that the distance readings of the metadata are at least within the range of what I expect them to be. But I can only confirm this for the primes, as with zoom lenses there are too many variables (for example them not being parfocal). Same lenses report distances on my canon 5d III with two decimals (about 10mm). Thats what the canon says, but also not sure if this really is true or just marketing, but again they are reasonable.

Enjoy your day,
Stephan

Stephan Schoenharting
Berlin, Germany

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jun 15, 2021 3:23 am

New build (a4) uploaded. See the first post for download link.

Ian Barbour

PostTue Jun 15, 2021 4:33 am

Kristian Lam wrote:New build (a4) uploaded. See the first post for download link.

Downloaded this latest build and tested with the the Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 100-400mm F5.0-6.3 IS and it is now fully WORKING!

MF Focus: Working
AF Focus: Working
Iris: Working

Thank you Kristian for posting this and thank you to your team for addressing this issue.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostTue Jun 15, 2021 5:35 am

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:Hi Kristian. Thanks for working on this. I installed Camera Setup 7.3.2b1_a2_Mac, and it doesn't address the issue I reported previously concerning using the Pocket 4K with the Lumix 25mm f1.7 lens.

See:

Note: This issue occurs with two Pocket 4K cameras purchased ~ Jan. 2019, and two copies of this lens.

I installed Camera_Setup_7.3.2b1_a4_eng_Mac, and unfortunately this issue isn't fixed. I wonder if this is something Panasonic can address with a new lens firmware?

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jun 15, 2021 1:43 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:
Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:Hi Kristian. Thanks for working on this. I installed Camera Setup 7.3.2b1_a2_Mac, and it doesn't address the issue I reported previously concerning using the Pocket 4K with the Lumix 25mm f1.7 lens.

See:

I installed Camera_Setup_7.3.2b1_a4_eng_Mac, and unfortunately this issue isn't fixed. I wonder if this is something Panasonic can address with a new lens firmware?

We haven't looked at this yet at the moment.

javier forza

PostTue Jun 15, 2021 6:38 pm

BMPCC4k Camera 7.3.2b1_a4_eng_Mac on Viltrox EF M2 II firmware V3.6:

- Canon 24-105L: Iris Working. No IS. No Autofocus
- Canon 40 MM: Iris Working. No Autofocus

But, Camera 6.9.5 same latest firmware from Viltrox: ALL WORKING except Autofocus.

TY

Csaba Nagy

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 12:13 am

BMPCC4K 7.3.2b1_a4 with Metabones Speedbooster 0.71x firmware version 3.6

Autofocus / Electronic focus control of any kind does not seem to work regardless of lens. ( Tried both a Canon 24-105 and Sigma 18-35 )

I can get electronic focus control if I revert firmware of the metabones down to 3.31, but even with that; electronic focus control through Bluetooth is alot more "choppy" vs that of BMPCC4K version 6.9.x

Also seems as if focus commands sent through bluetooth have been flipped. When sending a floating point value of 0.0 ( which would correspond to minimum focus in previous versions. ) the lens will focus to infinity instead. and vice versa for sending a value of 1.0 which will bring you to minimum focus instead of infinity.
Csaba Nagy
Filmmaker
BMPCC4K

kontrakatze

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 5:59 am

It would be nice to have a change.log with new beta versions. That would make things way more easy, as you would know what to look and test for. I don't want to do all test over and over again just to find out, that this problem was not addressed at all.

Have a nice day,
Stephan
Stephan Schoenharting
Berlin, Germany

Michae1

PostMon Jun 21, 2021 10:47 am

kontrakatze wrote:It would be nice to have a change.log with new beta versions. That would make things way more easy, as you would know what to look and test for. I don't want to do all test over and over again just to find out, that this problem was not addressed at all.

Have a nice day,
Stephan

It really wouldn't be a bad thing. A good idea

demaurice

PostMon Jun 21, 2021 5:24 pm

Had two lenses not working before, and tried the new beta from june 15th and they both seem to work now. One issue remains especially on the panasonic 14-45 (H-FS014045) where the aperture noted on the camera screen does not represent the actual aperture. When going to F3.6 it is still dark, then scrolling to F6 and back to F3.6 makes the image much brighter. When going back to F22 and then back to F3.6 it is darker again until I go to around F6 and back again.

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jun 22, 2021 6:49 am

demaurice wrote:Had two lenses not working before, and tried the new beta from june 15th and they both seem to work now. One issue remains especially on the panasonic 14-45 (H-FS014045) where the aperture noted on the camera screen does not represent the actual aperture. When going to F3.6 it is still dark, then scrolling to F6 and back to F3.6 makes the image much brighter. When going back to F22 and then back to F3.6 it is darker again until I go to around F6 and back again.

Please post what lenses were not working before. Thanks.

demaurice

PostTue Jun 22, 2021 9:13 am

Kristian Lam wrote:
demaurice wrote:Had two lenses not working before, and tried the new beta from june 15th and they both seem to work now. One issue remains especially on the panasonic 14-45 (H-FS014045) where the aperture noted on the camera screen does not represent the actual aperture. When going to F3.6 it is still dark, then scrolling to F6 and back to F3.6 makes the image much brighter. When going back to F22 and then back to F3.6 it is darker again until I go to around F6 and back again.

Please post what lenses were not working before. Thanks.

My bad. Before the update the H-FS014045 & H-FS045200 were both not working. Both now work with the june 15th beta release firmware.

Both of these lenses work except that scrolling through the aperture too fast displays an inaccurate number compared to how far the iris is actually opened. I Tested both of these lenses again and when scrubbing from F22 very quicly to fully opened (F4) and then going one stop more closed (F4.2) it will appear more bright on the F4.2 state. Then going back to F4 it will be even brighter, making me think that now it is actually in the F4 state.

Seems like scrolling through aperture too fast makes the lens not keep up and display the wrong F stop. Not a huge problem now that I am aware of it it.

Note: My H-FS014045 has never been firmware updated. While my H-FS045200 was updates to the latest firmware 2 days ago.

ierax332

PostSat Jun 26, 2021 7:13 am

Peaking is very problematic with the 6k pro /gen 5. BM please address this, focus peaking is almost non existent in some cases. Thank you

kenramsley

PostSun Jun 27, 2021 2:55 pm

Regarding the lens compatibility of the Pocket 4k (V7.3 ... tested through V7.3.2 Beta_4a with adapted full-frame lenses), I have lost OIS on all of my EF lenses and I'm down to Iris control, only.

Hardware/FW details...

Current camera/adapter config: Pocket 4k with FW V7.3 (tested through V7.3.2 Beta_4a), Viltrox EF-M1 and EF-M2 adapters with FW V3.6 (Iris control only works with Viltrox FW V3.6), All lenses: Iris-control works, no OIS, no tap-to-focus.

Previous camera/adapter configs: Pocket 4k with FW V6.9 (and older), Viltrox EF-M1 and EF-M2 adapters with FW V2.3 (All Pocket 4k FW prior to 7.3 offered Iris-control and OIS with Viltrox FW V2.3). OIS worked as well as a native EF mount. Tap-to-Focus has never worked.

My EF lenses...
Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4.5-6 IS II
Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX HSM
Tamron 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 Di II VC HLD).

All four EF lenses are less than three years old and all lens features work exceptionally well on a native Canon EF-S mount.

As an engineer, I am leaning strongly toward Eugenia Loli's hypothesis regarding insufficient MFT mount power to run all features of an adapted full-frame lens. Adding to the power-draw of larger lens motors, a mount adapter also draws camera power to run itself.

Like a triage doctor, the adapter makers (Metabones, Viltrox, etc) may be forced to choose which MFT motorized features are powered and which features are not supported ... maybe one, maybe two, but not all three (Iris-Control, OIS, and Tap-to-Focus). Where Iris-control is essential and OIS is often highly valued, and where motorized focusing likely draws the most power, motorized focusing is often barely supported or not supported at all.

Unfortunately, lens connection protocols and power specs are trade secrets and I can't get past the speculation stage. I've found info on pin functions, but not maximum MFT camera power-feeding limits or full-frame lens minimum power requirements.

On the other hand, the Blackmagic people know these specs for at least MFT and EF and should already know if the Pocket 4K can produce enough power (some guesswork would be required for an adapter's internal processing power consumption, but that could be closely estimated).

If it is true that the Pocket 4k MFT mount can't properly serve the power needs of a typical full-frame lens -- every Pocket 4k owner using adapted EF/Nikon/etc lenses needs to hear about this ... and if this is true, we all need to stop hoping for FW updates that magically rewrite the laws of physics. If true, we need to move onto a solution that actually works.

A while ago, I stumbled across a mount adapter powered by an external USB socket (I can't find the post). In this case, the camera's micro-USB-C socket was a source of power, either bypassing the MFT mount's power pins or adding to their power (it was a vague post).

If limited Pocket 4k MFT power is the problem, powering a lens adapter with an external supply is likely the only viable solution. Unfortunately, popular lens adapters have no dedicated power supply socket. They do have USB sockets for FW updates, but I am not yet ready to feed USB power into a Viltrox adapter while attached to a camera and lens! (Anyone willing to give that a try?)

Eugenia Loli

PostTue Jun 29, 2021 3:23 am

Is there a new upload coming, because the 2GB Windows one from june 15th is not available to download anymore (when I click on it, it gives me an error).

Hans Balmer

PostTue Jun 29, 2021 11:34 pm

Here are my test results for firmware version 7.3.2b1_a4:
Camera: BMPCC 4k
Adapter: Commlite CM-AEF-MFT Booster
Adapter firmware: Same as when released. There has never been an update.
Lenses: Sigma 18-35mm f1.8; Canon EF 24-105mm f4 version II; Tokina 11-16mm version II; Canon 70-300mm version I

Autofocus: Every lens works. Focus peaking is hardly visible if fully open, but this becomes better (almost like in FW 6.9.6) if stopped down a little. I guess it's the combination of adapter and the flatter profile of Color Science 5.

Aperture: Works on every lens. One exception: Auto aperture does not work with the Canon 24-105mm. When I press the button, it either opens or closes fully. The other lenses expose to the middle, and I tend to open a bit after pushing auto exposure. For me not the most important feature.

IS: Only the two Canon lenses have it, and it works as it should (70-300mm: both positions).

With my adapter I can't confirm any power issues. The Commlite is often criticised for not getting firmware updates. Of course the compatibility list does not get longer like this. And the lens is not adjustable, but there's some reserve beyond infinity with every of my lenses. All in all it seems to be quite an unproblematic device.

Yesterday Zhiyun has published firmware 1.85 for the Crane 3s. Now the BMPCC is controllable via Gimbal. More or less. I only tested it with the Sigma lens. Aperture goes from 1.3 to 2.0, then stops. After turning one stop on the camera, it's controllable again. Shutter speed and ISO work. Focus wheel moves the focus, but you never know where. Push autofocus works slowly. If this feature is important, then it would be a case for a focus motor.

Difference between firmware 7.3 and the current Beta: Autofocus mostly hits it. With 7.3 it was very, very slow and landed soft almost every time. Focus peaking still could be a bit stronger. As I said, I guess it's because of the flatter profile. Autofocus is not yet as reliable as with FW 6.9.6. Also the flatter profile?

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jul 01, 2021 11:37 pm

Eugenia Loli wrote:Is there a new upload coming, because the 2GB Windows one from june 15th is not available to download anymore (when I click on it, it gives me an error).

Just double checked and it's fine over here. Have you tried another browser?

Eugenia Loli

PostThu Jul 01, 2021 11:39 pm

I was able to download the Mac version on my macbook pro last night, but not the Windows one. On both I use Chrome. Maybe it was just a glitch a few days ago for the windows one. I will be installing it tonight via my macbook.

carlomacchiavello

PostSat Jul 03, 2021 7:11 pm

With 7.3.2b1_a4 - 15 June,
the Lumix powerX 14-42 (lens firmware 1.1) there is a strange issue:
i'm at 14mm, i close iris to 6.3, i zoom with lens command and during zoom camera seems to close again Iris, but number of iris stay the same, i checked and dof seems bigger (like iris more close).
if i go back to 7.3.1 work like ever, at 6.3 stay at 6.3 and don't change luminosity.

Frank2021 show me this weirdness and happened on mine and on his camera + lenses + his nikon to mft adapter.

Frank2021

PostSun Jul 04, 2021 5:04 pm

Many thanks to carlomacchiavello.
Another Lens issue.

F8.0 has to stay F8.0!

It's about time that BMD tests with lenses. Too many surprises. It is difficult to work professionally with these cameras and the updates.
Attachments
Level loss at zoom.JPG
Level loss at zoom.JPG (118.67 KiB) Viewed 83432 times
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 64GB RAM
win10pro Vers. 21H2
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 TB
GPU Radeon RX 580 8GB VRAM
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.3
EIZO CG247
BMPCC4k

Ellory Yu

PostTue Jul 06, 2021 2:15 pm

ierax332 wrote:Peaking is very problematic with the 6k pro /gen 5. BM please address this, focus peaking is almost non existent in some cases. Thank you

This is true on the original 6K as well.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

carlomacchiavello

PostTue Jul 06, 2021 4:52 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:
ierax332 wrote:Peaking is very problematic with the 6k pro /gen 5. BM please address this, focus peaking is almost non existent in some cases. Thank you

This is true on the original 6K as well.
Guys, with what lenses and what LUT?
I can focus with pocket4k and 6k like previous with same lenses.
I talk about focus peaking with coloured lines, not peaking enhancing that I never used be cause was never enough for me.
I had same red edge In medium or low fp setup like cs4

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

SeaLight

PostThu Jul 08, 2021 2:21 pm

Running 7.3 at the current moment with completely unreliable autofocus (I have to press the button 5 or more times to get someone close to being in focus) on a Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm f/2.8 II ASPH. POWER O.I.S. Lens. It was fine on version 6.9.6.

I'll update to the 7.3.2 beta and see report back to see if that fixes the issue.
Last edited by SeaLight on Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SeaLight

PostThu Jul 08, 2021 2:46 pm

I just updated my 4K to 7.3.2b1a4 with my Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm f/2.8 II ASPH. POWER O.I.S. Lens attached and the focus seems to be slower (like it was on the 6.9.6 update) but more accurate.

kenramsley

PostSat Jul 10, 2021 7:24 pm

[Edited July 22, 2021. It turns out that BMPCC 4K touchscreen focusing is working with my new Commlite MFT/EF adapter for lenses listed below, except the Tamron 10-24mm].

Pocket 4k with FW V7.3 (tested with V7.3.2 Beta_4a) and "Commlite Electronic Autofocus Lens Mount Adapter for Canon EF or EF-S-Mount Lens to Micro Four Thirds-Mount Camera..."

My EF lenses...
- Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary - [Iris, OIS, and AF]
- Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4.5-6 IS II - [Iris, OIS, and AF]
- Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX HSM - [Iris, OIS, and AF]
- Tamron 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 Di II VC HLD) - [no Iris, no OIS, and no AF]*

*Iris-control still works with Viltrox adapters and Viltrox FW V3.6.

Comments on electronic focusing ... An MFT mount (including BMPCC4K) uses a logically different algorithm than an EF-mounted lens (one is absolute positioning and the other relative positioning). For this reason, electronic focusing signals from an MFT camera sometimes produce inaccurate EF lens focusing (no easy way around this). All the same, I am thrilled to see a bit of useful focusing working with this Commlite adapter after never seeing it working at all with my Viltrox adapters.
Last edited by kenramsley on Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next

Return to Cinematography