6k Pro - Slate

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

teak421

6k Pro - Slate

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 9:11 pm

Hi. I'm trying to use the slate that is built into the camera and I see that it will import the scene and the take, but not the shot. Am I missing something here? Seems odd that its missing an important element of the slate.

YES, I do use a real slate too, but it just saves me time if the metadata is already filled out. Thanks in advance.

Howard Roll

Re: 6k Pro - Slate

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 11:28 pm

The shot is typically iterated as a function of the scene. 1a, 1b, 1c, etc., Whenever I've broken down, or had a shotlist broken down, that's how it's worked. Find a slate that includes "shot" and it was probably purchased at Bed Bath and Beyond.

Good Luck

slate.jpeg
slate.jpeg (127.87 KiB) Viewed 1069 times

slate2.jpeg
slate2.jpeg (19.77 KiB) Viewed 1069 times

teak421

PostSun Jun 13, 2021 4:09 pm

Thank you for the information... I've already got an external slate, I was asking about the slate that is built into the 6k Pro itself. I would like the metadata to come into Resolve automatically...but, its missing the shot.

teak

John Brawley

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 2:14 pm

Howard there’s a US style of slating and then there’s what everyone else is using, known as UK skating.

In UK slating they don’t use the scene number in the same way.

In UK slating they have shot number. It starts on the first setup at 1 and then simply counts up. First set up world be “ One take One”. The scene number is listed separately. In Australia it’s traditional to gamble on what the final shot number will be at the end of a film (say 650). “650 take 1” would be the first take of the last setup.

In US slating, the scene number is combined with letters to create a setup count.

Scene 33 is slated 33 take 1. The next setup becomes 33A take 1. Slated as “33 Apple take 1”

Pros and cons for each.

For the OP just use the “scene number” for shot number. If you need the scene then you might have to jam it into another field. It’s not well implemented for sure.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

teak421

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 2:20 pm

Thanks, John. That's what I was after. Am I being silly and missing something, or is it not implemented. Well, looks like it's not well implemented.

teak

John Brawley

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 3:38 pm

teak421 wrote:Thanks, John. That's what I was after. Am I being silly and missing something, or is it not implemented. Well, looks like it's not well implemented.

teak

Yeah they just need to add an extra “shot” field.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

teak421

PostSat Sep 11, 2021 5:40 pm

To Blackmagic Folks...

Is it possible to add the slot? Would be a massive plus. Thanks.

Ellory Yu

PostSat Sep 11, 2021 9:06 pm

Howard Roll wrote:The shot is typically iterated as a function of the scene. 1a, 1b, 1c, etc., Whenever I've broken down, or had a shotlist broken down, that's how it's worked. Find a slate that includes "shot" and it was probably purchased at Bed Bath and Beyond.

This is not totally correct. John has explained this above succinctly. The UK slating style are pretty much being adopted in many US productions as well. Hollywood is not the only source of movies like it was in the past.

teak421 wrote:To Blackmagic Folks...

Is it possible to add the slot? Would be a massive plus. Thanks.

This has been asked numerous times in the past to no avail. So for now, using the scene.shot convention is it. I wish they would let you choose either of the slating style.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Return to Cinematography