Bluetooth+ Camera & Tilta Nucleus Connection!

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

timbutt2

Bluetooth+ Camera & Tilta Nucleus Connection!

PostSat Jun 12, 2021 7:01 pm

I just discovered this was an update two weeks ago. You can now connect your Tilta Nucleus Nano and M to the Bluetooth+ app. So you can now trigger record from the Nucleus M FIZ Hand Unit via the app. This is really awesome because before we did not have the ability to trigger record from the hand unit because of a lack of 3-Pin Lemo on the camera.

There's a few more features for the Pocket 4K right now. I'm not 100% whether you can control the motor through the app with the Pocket 4K. You sadly don't have any motor control on the UMP through the app. I would still use the FIZ Hand Unit probably for that.

Either way, I thought I'd share this awesome update for those with the Tilta Nucleus Systems.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Robert Niessner

Re: Bluetooth+ Camera & Tilta Nucleus Connection!

PostSat Jun 12, 2021 10:18 pm

timbutt2 wrote:There's a few more features for the Pocket 4K right now. I'm not 100% whether you can control the motor through the app with the Pocket 4K.

Yes, you can control the internal lens focus motor via the Nucleus M FIZ.
I did help beta test the app because it could not find my Nucleus-M. Turned out Tilta made a typo for the Bluetooth name of the FIZ. They called it Uncleus-M :D
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

timbutt2

PostSat Jun 12, 2021 10:23 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:Yes, you can control the internal lens focus motor via the Nucleus M FIZ.
I did help beta test the app because it could not find my Nucleus-M. Turned out Tilta made a typo for the Bluetooth name of the FIZ. They called it Uncleus-M :D

Okay, cool! Yeah, I don't have a Pocket 4K so couldn't test. Only doing the PL Mounts on my UMP and Pocket 6K Pro.
That's funny that Tilta made a typo for the Bluetooth name of the FIZ.

Ahmed Ghaffar

PostSat Jun 12, 2021 10:31 pm

Unfortunately Bluetooth+ is not available on android devices. After reading this post however, I found an alternative app for android, it's called Blueconnect. It's a paid app around 8.5 USD.

I tested the app with my BMPCC 6K and Nucleus Nano and I can confirm that the start/stop function works over bluetooth now by connecting the Nano to the app. However, I can't use my Tilta Power Focus side handle to start/stop the camera, was hoping that I could do that as well, when using Slave Mode on the Nano wheel.

I hope Blackmagic Design releases native android support for their apps

Robert Niessner

PostSat Jun 12, 2021 10:47 pm

Ahmed Ghaffar wrote:Unfortunately Bluetooth+ is not available on android devices. After reading this post however, I found an alternative app for android, it's called Blueconnect. It's a paid app around 8.5 USD.

I tested the app with my BMPCC 6K and Nucleus Nano and I can confirm that the start/stop function works over bluetooth now by connecting the Nano to the app. However, I can't use my Tilta Power Focus side handle to start/stop the camera, was hoping that I could do that as well, when using Slave Mode on the Nano wheel.

I hope Blackmagic Design releases native android support for their apps

Those are third party apps and not made by Blackmagic.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

Jeffrey D Mathias

PostSun Jun 13, 2021 2:47 pm

I tried Bluetooth+ Pro this morning on Pocket 4K, Nucleus-M (FIZ and handle) and Nano. All paired fine with the program. The FIZ unit started and stopped recording fine. However when put into slave mode and using the handle, the handle worked as usual except the record button did not start/stop recording of the camera. All the Tilta gear did indicate "rec" or "stby" with the record button lighting on or off. Also when using the Nano, all worked as usual except the record button did not start/stop recording of the camera. Indicators on the motors and Nano indicated "rec" or "stby".
In conclusion I find that only the FIZ controller record button will work to start/stop recording of the Pocket 4K. Note also that the phone must remain on and connected.
AMD Threadripper 1950x 16-core 3.4 GHz
96 GB Crucial DDR4 2666 ECC UDIMM RAM
AsRock Fatal1ty x399 motherboard
AMD Radeon Pro WX 8200 GPU
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit version 22H2, build 19045.3208
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
iPad Pro M2

Robert Niessner

PostSun Jun 13, 2021 3:15 pm

Jeffrey D Mathias wrote:The FIZ unit started and stopped recording fine. However when put into slave mode and using the handle, the handle worked as usual except the record button did not start/stop recording of the camera. All the Tilta gear did indicate "rec" or "stby" with the record button lighting on or off. Also when using the Nano, all worked as usual except the record button did not start/stop recording of the camera. Indicators on the motors and Nano indicated "rec" or "stby".
In conclusion I find that only the FIZ controller record button will work to start/stop recording of the Pocket 4K.

I think the reason is that only the FIZ has Bluetooth and maybe it does not reach through the rec control signals from the handles via Bluetooth then.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

Ahmed Ghaffar

PostSun Jun 13, 2021 7:53 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:
Jeffrey D Mathias wrote:The FIZ unit started and stopped recording fine. However when put into slave mode and using the handle, the handle worked as usual except the record button did not start/stop recording of the camera. All the Tilta gear did indicate "rec" or "stby" with the record button lighting on or off. Also when using the Nano, all worked as usual except the record button did not start/stop recording of the camera. Indicators on the motors and Nano indicated "rec" or "stby".
In conclusion I find that only the FIZ controller record button will work to start/stop recording of the Pocket 4K.

I think the reason is that only the FIZ has Bluetooth and maybe it does not reach through the rec control signals from the handles via Bluetooth then.

Yes, I think that's the case as well on my end. The power side handle doesn't have any bluetooth enabled, and thus can only start/stop recording via cable. However, I thought the Nucleus M handles had bluetooth, I'm not sure about that.

Jeffrey D Mathias

PostSun Jun 13, 2021 8:29 pm

In the handle one can select Bluetooth on or off... if it does anything. But again with the FIZ in slave its record button light goes on and off when the handle button is pressed. I guess I thought the FIZ would relay the signal over bluetooth just as if its button were pushed. Also when in slave mode and using the handle the FIZ button still starts and stops the camera... go figure???
AMD Threadripper 1950x 16-core 3.4 GHz
96 GB Crucial DDR4 2666 ECC UDIMM RAM
AsRock Fatal1ty x399 motherboard
AMD Radeon Pro WX 8200 GPU
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit version 22H2, build 19045.3208
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
iPad Pro M2

Ahmed Ghaffar

PostSun Jun 13, 2021 9:12 pm

Jeffrey D Mathias wrote:In the handle one can select Bluetooth on or off... if it does anything. But again with the FIZ in slave its record button light goes on and off when the handle button is pressed. I guess I thought the FIZ would relay the signal over bluetooth just as if its button were pushed. Also when in slave mode and using the handle the FIZ button still starts and stops the camera... go figure???

That's the same exact thing that's happening with my Nano Wheel and Tilta power side handle. If you press record on the handle, both of them light up but nothing happens, even in slave mode. If you press record on the Nano Wheel, both of them light up but the camera records.

This is the handle I'm referring to:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... s=pi&pim=Y

Zweistein

PostWed Mar 23, 2022 8:59 pm

Did anyone manage to start/stop REC with the Tilta Nucleus M Handles on the BMPCC4K via the Bluetooth+ App? Or is the FIZ unit still the only option?

Thanks in advance!
Jannik
Cinematographerwww.janniktesch.comwww.sensorsizes.com
UMP 4.6K G1 6.9.4 – PCC4K OLPF 8.1 – Resolve Studio 18.6.5 – macOS 14.4 – MacBook Pro 2023, M2 Pro, 14"
EIZO CG247XUltraStudio Monitor 3G 12.5 – Micro Panel

redhead

PostMon Aug 29, 2022 8:48 am

Anyone manage to get the wheel of the Nucleus N to control focus via the app. I can adjust focus with the slider in the Blue Connect app, but only start / stop recording via the Nano.

timbutt2

PostMon Aug 29, 2022 9:33 pm

The Nucleus M hand unit controls the Nucleus Motor. Put the motor on rails and connect it to the gears of your lens.

If you’re expecting a Nucleus to be able to control focus of a lens through electronic connectors and the camera in an autofocus like a location then you’ll be extremely disappointed. No lens system works with a wireless focus hand unit in that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackest

PostMon Nov 27, 2023 2:05 pm

The nucleus Nano II can connect via bluetooth to the BMPCC 4k

select bluetooth in the knob connection menu it will find rs2 and bmpcc 4k camera select camera and enter the pairing code from the camera screen and now the record button works on the side of the knob.

Funny thing i am yet to figure out how to get the knob to control the dji focus motor, I currently have control of the RS2 with the tilta handle and focus with the roller wheel at the back, so the iphone app is pretty much redundant (about 2 minutes after i bought it :( ) I guess thats the price of knowledge.

was concidering c-fast to ssd adapter but i guess I don't need that either.
Best regards

John

note:
The reason I can't connect to the DJI motor is because as of 3/11/2023 the firmware does not support it, yet
written in very small print on tiltas web site.
does support on bmpcc 4K f-stop shutter speed iso temperature in kelvin resolution mbps frame rate and record. There is also a lock function

Return to Cinematography