Recommend Pro-Level/Mid-range Light Fixture?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Memento313

Recommend Pro-Level/Mid-range Light Fixture?

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 7:36 pm

No....I'm not going to complain about the horrendous low light performance and all-too-easy-to appear fixed pattern noise of the Production camera. I do understand this is a cinema/movie camera and I should be willing to light my scenes (which I've always done starting in DV days). I'm not going to say anything about FPN popping up even at 400 ISO and when 600 watts of tungsten light are pointed at my test subjects.

Anyways...

It's clear I need some more powerful ("real") lights to use this camera indoors. My experience only extends to using the Lowel lights like the 500W Omni, etc.

I know this is a general cinematography question but can someone recommend an LED panel or even fresnel -style LED in the 500-ish dollar range? Something strong enough to be perhaps a 700 watt or so tungsten equivalent? Perhaps I'm playing with the big boys now and should be talking in Lumens or something- sorry ain't there yet.

What should I be looking for in terms of "real"/pro lights nowadays?

Samuel S

Re: Recommend Pro-Level/Mid-range Light Fixture?

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 8:35 pm

In terms of output bang for your buck, Nanlite's FS-300 costs $350 and performs pretty well.

jallen0

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 8:55 pm

You could also look at Aputure lights. Most are just above your budget but the 60D / 60X lights are a good buy for the money. Their Amaran series of lights are also a great light however they are mostly studio lights. You'll have to be careful when traveling with them.
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
LG UF 5k, 27" Tbolt Display, 55" LG C8
Resolve Edit Keyboard, Mini Panel, US 4K Mini
Resolve Studio Ver. 17.4.3
Desktop Video 12.1

Memento313

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 10:43 pm

Samuel S wrote:In terms of output bang for your buck, Nanlite's FS-300 costs $350 and performs pretty well.

Thanks, buddy. I'm going to go for it.

Return to Cinematography