Sensor glitch in BM Ursa Pro 4,6k G1

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Maaaaaax

Sensor glitch in BM Ursa Pro 4,6k G1

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 11:58 am

Hello Everyone,

I have already contacted the BM Support team, but i wanted to also ask here if anyone had similar experiences as me before and maybe knows how or if the Sensor glitch i am getting is repairable.

I bought a used BM Ursa Mini Pro G1 in the beginning of 2021, got a very good price and besides it beeing a bit worn down on the outside, the Camera seemed to be in excelllent shape.

However, in the last few weeks i have been getting a serious sensor gltich whenever i switch on the camera. The glitch stays until i do a couple of Powercycles. The effect lessens gradually and after about 3-4 power cycles and a 1-2 min wait the Camera works as intended, no glitch visible anymore. If the camera is off for a longer amount of time (30min+) The effect reapears as before.

This is what it looks like:
https://imgur.com/a/3EkfVyQ

I tried searching for a similiar problem, however i could only find issues with the FNP, which is not what this is about...

I work in Documentary and i'd love to find a solution to this problem, as the way it is right now, i cannot really rely on my Ursa to be ready when i need it to be.

Has anyone had the same problem before? Any Ideas for a solution (As said before, i also wrote to support - but hey, maybe im lucky here as well!)

Thanks!

Uli Plank

Re: Sensor glitch in BM Ursa Pro 4,6k G1

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 1:43 am

That doesn't look good. The fact that it disappears after warming up may indicate a temperature dependent contact issue, like corroded connectors or, even worse, a weak soldering point. Very hard to locate.

Is it in the recorded footage? If you are lucky (kind of) it's only the display.
I feel sorry for you.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

robert Hart

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 4:42 am

I am having trouble understanding the "glitch" as you describe it. I am assuming it is the blemishes in the right upper part of the image. If it is those blemishes and they disappear with a rise in temperature of the sensor AND seem to be affected by lens focus, this suggests to me that the blemishes may be both optical and moisture related, located on the front of the sensor or the blue IR filter disk.

If they were pixel-level artifacts, they would be more sharply defined and consistent regardless of focus setting.

With your ND filters selected to "clear"and with no lens fitted, shine a small torch into the camera throat and look for some small stains on the sensor front surface or IR filter transparency in the lower right corner as viewed from the front. You may be assisted in this by wearing polaroid sunglasses and rotating the camera as you view it.

Does the shape of those blemishes remain the same in the image or have they changed shape between appearances when you have used the camera.?

As a wild imagining, my thought is that there may have been some dewing inside when the camera has been moved from a cold environment into a warm damp environment. That dewing may have wicked in to the ND filter airpocket through a joint in the casework and raised its humidity level.

If it is dewing, then eventually the optical surfaces it occurs upon may become stained or a filter coating eventually deteriorate.

You could experiment by switching the camera on and let it warm up and remain on. Try operating the filter wheel a few times to agitate the small air pocket between the rearmost filter wheel and the IR filter disk to distribute any damp air in the airpocket.

It is not a state I would like the camera to remain in without it being examined by a repairer. To get at the front of the sensor or the ND filter transparencies requires a deep intrusion with the possibility of introducing other faults if you try it yourself.

Please take greater heed of others who further repond who know better what they are talking about than I.

John Brawley

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 10:41 pm

This would have to be repaired by BMD, it's not a firmware or user solvable problem.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Return to Cinematography