Timecode with qlab

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

sb4photos

Timecode with qlab

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 6:01 am

Hi. Trying to get timecode into my pocket 4k with the below info.
Nothing would make the timecode on camera via 3.5mm mic jack change from the running clock .

Qlab 4.5.4 on Mac os Mojave 10.14.6
Running timecode and MIDI into a focusrite 2i2.
Grand MA2 is eecisving timecode from the iMac.
Timecode is set to internal clock source in the focadite Control

Any ideas how to get the timecode synced for future light plotting ?

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

Re: Timecode with qlab

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 12:06 pm

Does the text EXT appear next to the running time of day? If so, this means the external timecode has been detected, just tap on the timecode display to toggle between the time of day and the input timecode.

sb4photos

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 12:25 pm

Kristian Lam wrote:Does the text EXT appear next to the running time of day? If so, this means the external timecode has been detected, just tap on the timecode display to toggle between the time of day and the input timecode.

that is a negative.
TC was set to clock 1 hr earlier then it was so i could see if it was updated
we tried rca to 3.5mm and 6.5mm jack to a adapted 3.5mm with 2 black rings and triwed various audio settings on camera aswell

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 12:53 pm

What’s the device sending the TC again? Could quite make it out form your initial post.

sb4photos

PostSat Jul 03, 2021 8:46 am

Kristian Lam wrote:What’s the device sending the TC again? Could quite make it out form your initial post.

Sorry its coming out of a focusrite scarlett which is outputting the time code via a xlr out as set up in the software.

i did this video today with a time code recording
also tried on a 6krpo and when recording does not acknowledge the time code change while recording

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Jul 03, 2021 8:52 am

Thanks for the video. Ok I understand what you're trying to do. It looks like timecode is indeed being seen from your external source.

While the camera recording, the timecode will not change. It jams from the external timecode before you hit record and then stays on it so what you're observing is expected behaviour.

Howard Roll

PostSat Jul 03, 2021 3:21 pm

Right, when timecode cuts out the camera continues regenerating, that’s jam sync.

Non sequential timecode within the same clip is a 1% use case.

Try recording the LTC to an audio channel then swap it in post if necessary.

For programming it’s easier to have LTC on an audio channel because it’s accessible. De-embedding LTC is a chore and usually requires a software and hardware solution beyond the basic OS.

Good Luck

sb4photos

PostMon Jul 05, 2021 5:28 am

Howard Roll wrote:Right, when timecode cuts out the camera continues regenerating, that’s jam sync.

Non sequential timecode within the same clip is a 1% use case.

Try recording the LTC to an audio channel then swap it in post if necessary.

For programming it’s easier to have LTC on an audio channel because it’s accessible. De-embedding LTC is a chore and usually requires a software and hardware solution beyond the basic OS.

Good Luck

i ended up just stopping a nd starting a exporting from camera a 1080 prores to fill in the small gaps
i thought if i recorded the audio in a zoom h6 it would read in resolve but it didnt (lease from my computer as the camera when connected to my laptop and i played a recorded timecode video file it changed on camera)

Return to Cinematography