Is the Rawlite/Mosaic filter worth buying?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

spencerh

Is the Rawlite/Mosaic filter worth buying?

PostMon Jun 21, 2021 6:59 pm

Does anyone have any experience with the Rawlite or Mosaic olpf/ir cut filter? I have a Micro Cinema Camera and I've been thinking about getting one of these. Are they worth the price tag, and is one better than the other?

Brad Hurley

Re: Is the Rawlite/Mosaic filter worth buying?

PostMon Jun 21, 2021 7:16 pm

Can't tell you if one is better than the other, but I have the Rawlite OLPF installed in both of my Micro Cinema Cameras and it was worth it for me for two reasons: 1) no need to worry about moire, and 2) no need to put IR cut filters on my lenses. Installing it can be a bit of a white-knuckle operation (during certain delicate stages), but the video instructions are clear and I've done it twice with no disasters.

Hans apparently redesigned his Rawlite OLPF for the Micro Cinema and original Pocket cameras in the last year and the new version has less detrimental effect on sharpness than the earlier version did.

If you use screw-in filters (including ND filters), not having to install IR cut filters is a big time-saver because I was forever getting my ND filters stuck onto the IR cut filters and having both come off together and having difficulty getting them apart (I ultimately solved that by not screwing in the ND filters all the way).
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

John Brawley

PostMon Jun 21, 2021 10:33 pm

Rawlite is the one I have used. Hans continues to develop and work on them. Mosaic did a version years ago and haven’t done much in the way of updates since then fwiw.

Yes. They are totally worth getting.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Uli Plank

PostTue Jun 22, 2021 12:40 am

Second (actually third) the RAWlite.
I got one for our UMP 4.6K and never looked back. Plus, Hans is very helpful if needed.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

kontrakatze

PostTue Jun 22, 2021 6:13 am

I bought the rawlite for the bmpcc4k and tested it for about 6 month now. IR-contamination is gone, moire is better, but all my lenses got softer in focus. Thats why I went back to using IRND filters with a a matte box. I prefer to soften the image if wanted by myself (filter or post). Moire is not so much of an issue for what I do.

So actually it is sitting around unused and I'm not planning to install it again.

Have a nice day,
Stephan
Stephan Schoenharting
Berlin, Germany
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9HVF-6TcKDkavfcqu0lFMQ/videos

timbutt2

PostTue Jun 22, 2021 12:19 pm

I also have the Rawlite OLPF for my UMPG2. Totally worth it. As Palpatine would say:

"DO IT!"
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

spencerh

PostTue Jun 22, 2021 12:37 pm

Brad Hurley wrote:Can't tell you if one is better than the other, but I have the Rawlite OLPF installed in both of my Micro Cinema Cameras and it was worth it for me for two reasons: 1) no need to worry about moire, and 2) no need to put IR cut filters on my lenses. Installing it can be a bit of a white-knuckle operation (during certain delicate stages), but the video instructions are clear and I've done it twice with no disasters.

Hans apparently redesigned his Rawlite OLPF for the Micro Cinema and original Pocket cameras in the last year and the new version has less detrimental effect on sharpness than the earlier version did.

If you use screw-in filters (including ND filters), not having to install IR cut filters is a big time-saver because I was forever getting my ND filters stuck onto the IR cut filters and having both come off together and having difficulty getting them apart (I ultimately solved that by not screwing in the ND filters all the way).

How much of an effect on sharpness do you find it has?

Brad Hurley

PostTue Jun 22, 2021 12:46 pm

spencerh wrote:How much of an effect on sharpness do you find it has?

It's not particularly noticeable to me, but I never did a controlled test with the exact same scene before and after OLPF. But note that if you buy one now you'd be getting the redesigned version, which improves sharpness. See this thread for discussion:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=116385
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Uli Plank

PostTue Jun 22, 2021 1:40 pm

I did a test, but between DNG and BRAW at the same time, since there was this discussion if BRAW is doing some noise filtering which should influence moiré too. Both shots out of the UMP 4.6K (too big for an upload). You can see how BRAW is still showing some aliasing while uncompressed DNG is very clean with the OLPF.

This is BRAW without an OLPF:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s24mxreh57xy6 ... F.png?dl=0

And this is DNG with the RAWlite:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/32k69wow5peau ... F.png?dl=0
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Jamie LeJeune

PostSun Jun 27, 2021 8:16 am

John Brawley wrote:Rawlite is the one I have used. Hans continues to develop and work on them. Mosaic did a version years ago and haven’t done much in the way of updates since then fwiw.

Yes. They are totally worth getting.

JB

I’ve been quite pleased with the Rawlite filters that I put in my UMP 4.6K cameras and in the 4K Pocket.

What’s your opinion JB on whether the 12K UMP needs one?
In my own use of the 12K UMP, I’ve only seen troublesome aliasing when recording in 6K crop mode.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Return to Cinematography