24mm FF Equivalent Lens options for BMPCC

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Peter Price

24mm FF Equivalent Lens options for BMPCC

PostSat Oct 26, 2013 8:36 pm

I know folks have been talking about wide angle lens options for this camera for a bit now, and I know it's recently released, so there's still a bit of time, but I've really notices a lack of lens options in the 24mm Full Frame equivelant on the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera. I really like this focal length as it has a really cinematic vibe to it. But according to the crop factor, a 24mm divided by a crop factor of 2.88 equals 8mm. And as you know...there's not a lot of fast lens options, available in that range. I know there are a few vintage lens options floating around, but they seem to be on the more expensive "cine" side.
I've also played around with a Tokina 11-16 with a Nikon Mount Metabones Speedbooster, and that's pretty nice, but can also get a little pricey with the Tokina 11-16 costing about $599, and the Metabones Speedbooster costing about $450 or so, but essentially takes care of that focal length.

Are there any other options that people are trying out in this wide angle focal length?

Mac Jaeger

Re: 24mm FF Equivalent Lens options for BMPCC

PostSat Oct 26, 2013 10:02 pm

If you want both a wide and a fast lens, you'll have to spend some serious money. If "fast" isn't your priority you could try the olympus 9-18 (1:4-5.6) at around 500€.

AdrianSierkowski

Re: 24mm FF Equivalent Lens options for BMPCC

PostSat Oct 26, 2013 10:21 pm

Well there are always the Rokinon Cine lenses. But they aren't particularly fast. I have a 9.5mm T1.3 super-speed, but that's a cine lens in both cost and lens mount.
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography
http://www.adriansierkowski.com
adrian@adriansierkowski.com

Return to Cinematography