Help! Transitioning from old to new BMPCC 4K.

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

josephrose

Help! Transitioning from old to new BMPCC 4K.

PostTue Jul 20, 2021 1:15 pm

I have the OG BMPCC with the Metabones Speedbooster and Sigma 18-35 (Nikon mount), and I've been out of the loop for a while.

If I transition to the 4K, can I use my same lens and Speedbooster? If not, is there a specific Speedbooster to replace it?

Additionally, what are the most recommended solutions for battery and storage on the 4K?

Brad Hurley

Re: Help! Transitioning from old to new BMPCC 4K.

PostTue Jul 20, 2021 2:16 pm

It depends on the speedbooster you have. Metabones has a line of speedboosters specifically for the Blackmagic Super-16 cameras (original Pocket and Micro Cinema), which won't cover the whole sensor in the BMPCC 4K. Check the Metabones site and you'll see the models they provide for the 4K. https://www.metabones.com/products/?c=blackmagic-MFT

You can of course use that same lens.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Leon Benzakein

PostTue Jul 20, 2021 2:47 pm

As Brad said it depends on the Speedbooster.
I have the one made specifically for the Original BMPCC.
When I tried it on the BMPCC 4K I found that the lens of the adapter was too deep, it touched the glass protecting the sensor.
So it is not only that it will not cover the 4K sensor but that it does not fit.
I do also have a Metabones dumb adapter with no lens and that works fine.
I tried it it with my Sigma 18-35mm Nikon f mount and found that it was wide enough to not need the Speedbooster.
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

drknsss

PostWed Jul 21, 2021 2:33 pm

Viltrox sells a Nikon to M43 Adapter they claim has AF and IS..., I was going to sell my Nikon Glass but now....,

Denny Smith

PostWed Jul 21, 2021 5:12 pm

I prefer using CFast cards for recording on the Picket 4K, faster, and more reliable.

Next battery options are varied. I went with Dmitry’s battery kit he originally made for the Micro Cinema camera, it can be mounted to the Pocket 4K, and use the power input to connect to the camera (See: https://lavky.com/radioproektor/).

As for the Speed Booster, if you have the Metabones specific original BMPCC to MFT unit, it will work on the new Pocket 4K, when in S16/2K sensor crop mode. However, as previously mentioned, it will not cover the full 4K sensor. As for a new Speed Booster, Metabones makes two models specifically for the new Pocket 4K camera, offering two different image size corrections.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

MetalMonkey

PostThu Sep 09, 2021 9:00 pm

Denny Smith wrote:I prefer using CFast cards for recording on the Picket 4K, faster, and more reliable.

Next battery options are varied. I went with Dmitry’s battery kit he originally made for the Micro Cinema camera, it can be mounted to the Pocket 4K, and use the power input to connect to the camera (See: https://lavky.com/radioproektor/).

As for the Speed Booster, if you have the Metabones specific original BMPCC to MFT unit, it will work on the new Pocket 4K, when in S16/2K sensor crop mode. However, as previously mentioned, it will not cover the full 4K sensor. As for a new Speed Booster, Metabones makes two models specifically for the new Pocket 4K camera, offering two different image size corrections.
Cheers

There is a really good video displaying the original BMPCC to MFT on the 4k on youtube - search "Using the Metabones 0.58x Speed Booster on the BMPCC 4k | No Crop in Slow Motion".

From reading metabones website and other forum posts, I thought it was not compatible at all, turned out not to be true :)

Return to Cinematography