Dana Dolly and similar

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Travis Hodgkinson

Dana Dolly and similar

PostWed Jul 21, 2021 11:32 am

Good evening filmmakers,

So after discovering the Dana Dolly the other day thanks to some awesome members here.

I have a few questions,
• Who's used one and what are your experiences with it?
• What stands do you recommend?
• Would you go the universal option or the original option?
¶ Anyone used the option high hight extension/ not the pyramid add-on but the tubular add-on.
Freelance Camera Op & Cinematographer based in Brisbane, Australia.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Weapons: URSA 12K + Canon XF605 + Hero 10 + Pocket 6K Pro
Optics: DZO Pictor Zooms + SLR Magic Hyper Prime + Tokina Cinema Zoom

jallen0

Re: Dana Dolly and similar

PostWed Jul 21, 2021 11:56 am

Travis Hodgkinson wrote:• Who's used one and what are your experiences with it?

I recently purchased one and have used it on three corporate shoots so far. Tracking on shots with the dana dolly is absolutely smooth, and in one case I added a Mitchell mount and hung the camera upside down on the dolly.

Travis Hodgkinson wrote:• What stands do you recommend?

These are expensive but built like a tank. I do need to order the wheels for them, but they are pretty expensive as well.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... stand.html

Travis Hodgkinson wrote:• Would you go the universal option or the original option?

I went the universal rental kit option because of the case and I don't know what future shooting will require. So I just covered all the bases.

Travis Hodgkinson wrote:• Anyone used the option high hight extension/ not the pyramid add-on but the tubular add-on.

I am not sure what option that is, however when I used it in the underslung mode I used two Matthew senior stands and raised the camera 9 feet in the air. I also purchased the Dana Dolly speed tube travel kit, which is 9 feet long, and I had no issues with stability.

Hope this all helps.
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
LG UF 5k, 27" Tbolt Display, 55" LG C8
Resolve Edit Keyboard, Mini Panel, US 4K Mini
Resolve Studio Ver. 17.4.3
Desktop Video 12.1

Ellory Yu

PostWed Jul 21, 2021 2:48 pm

Travis Hodgkinson wrote:• Who's used one and what are your experiences with it?

I don't own it but when I'm on projects, I always have the grip people ready a dana dolly, tracks, and whatever is needed for short dolly shots. They are the most stable dolly and the Mitchell mount gives a lot of flexibility.
Travis Hodgkinson wrote:• What stands do you recommend?

Those Matthew stands are exceptional but they are short. So you may need to stand them on apple boxes or similar to get the higher. We used C-stands as well. Check out the Avenger C-stands. They're fairly heavy duty and some goes to 10'. Depending on how low or how high you need the tracks to be, you can go with the Matthews slider stand to a heavy duty C-stand.
Travis Hodgkinson wrote:• Would you go the universal option or the original option?

I always go with the universal option rental kit. In fact, those are the only ones we get from rental places.
Travis Hodgkinson wrote:¶ Anyone used the option high hight extension/ not the pyramid add-on but the tubular add-on.

I don't know what option this is. Are you asking about risers and telescoping bazooka tubes that's something like this https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... zooka.html ? Depending on what we are using it for, yes, we use both risers and bazookas. But just the short bazooka (like an 8") on the dana dolly. The telescoping ones are better used on a doorway dolly or the like.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Jamie LeJeune

PostWed Jul 21, 2021 10:13 pm

Also take a look at the Dutti Dolly as an option — https://www.msegrip.com/products/the-dutti-dolly
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Travis Hodgkinson

PostThu Jul 22, 2021 12:48 am

Firstly thank you guys for your great responses!

Code: Select all
I don't know what option this is. Are you asking about risers and telescoping bazooka tubes that's something like this https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... zooka.html ? Depending on what we are using it for, yes, we use both risers and bazookas. But just the short bazooka (like an 8") on the dana dolly. The telescoping ones are better used on a doorway dolly or the like.

This is what I was referring to: Dana Dolly 6" Mitchell Riser Plate
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... plate.html

Travis Hodgkinson

PostThu Jul 22, 2021 12:52 am

Jamie LeJeune wrote:Also take a look at the Dutti Dolly as an option — https://www.msegrip.com/products/the-dutti-dolly

Thanks Jamie, looks like a great option as well. For some reason I feel that the Dana would run better on round tubes. Just going by the look of the wheels.

jallen0

PostThu Jul 22, 2021 12:53 am

Oh, the Mitchell plate. I have one and they work great. In fact they are essential if you ever want to underslung your camera on the Dana Dolly, or just get a little extra rise. For the price it's worth it to add to your kit.
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
LG UF 5k, 27" Tbolt Display, 55" LG C8
Resolve Edit Keyboard, Mini Panel, US 4K Mini
Resolve Studio Ver. 17.4.3
Desktop Video 12.1

Travis Hodgkinson

PostThu Jul 22, 2021 1:02 am

Ok great, I'll be sure to add it on.

Is it a strong connection? Assume it's fairly quick to remove as well?

timbutt2

PostThu Jul 22, 2021 3:38 am

I don't own a Dana Dolly, but I've used it frequently over the years on sets. Really do love it. Super smooth movement. My main reason for not purchasing one yet is that it's not necessarily a single person system like a slider. One person can build it. I've done so. But if you want to move the dolly with the camera on it, then you really want two people lifting the track and stands while one person holds the camera and dolly cart. So it does require a crew.

Those Matthews stands mentioned above are very solid. Then baby combo stands are also a great option. I can't remember the exact brand, but there's one that has a leg extension option for uneven terrain. Might be a Matthews, but different from the one linked above.

I think this one: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... Riser.html

Either way, the Dana Dolly is a great tool to have in your arsenal.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Travis Hodgkinson

PostThu Jul 22, 2021 4:25 am

timbutt2 wrote:Those Matthews stands mentioned above are very solid. Then baby combo stands are also a great option. I can't remember the exact brand, but there's one that has a leg extension option for uneven terrain. Might be a Matthews, but different from the one linked above.

There seem to be so many options available. It makes deciding so difficult. Not to mention I have no idea what combo means...Or junior the list goes on. Since when did stands become so complex haha :D

I think I'll go with those Mathews ones mentioned. They look plenty sturdy.

Ellory Yu

PostThu Jul 22, 2021 2:34 pm

You won't go wrong with Dana and Matthews. There are many accessories that gives you a lot of flexibility. The risers you listed above are best for when the dolly is low to the ground. One use is that it gives rise enough so you can use a fluid head with a bowl so the riser gives enough distance for the bowl's adjustment handle. The Matthews Dutti is exceptionally strong and smooth as well.

Like Tim said above, these dollies are not for a one man band. They are heavy and requires at least a couple of people to set and position them. I don't own them because they are part of a grip system that I just rent when there's a project, along with a grip person. For most on location shoots, we would just rent a 1-ton or 2-ton that always includes a Dana or Dutti, tracks, risers, stands, etc. Unless you're planning to have it in a studio all the time or use it very frequently, I suggest renting and checking with your local rental shop. These cost are usually paid for by the production who hires me for their projects, or I bill them for it.

Travis, while you're at it looking at movement peripherals, check out portable jibs/cranes. I usually like to have the dollies (skaters, doorways, etc.) and jibs/cranes on set shoots for "smooth and complex" movements. On the go, I always have the Benro Move UP 15 and the Stand for it. This one I own. I also previously own the Kessler porta-jib but the Benro is a much better jib and buy. Hi-Hats are also one other useful thing to have in your arsenal. I've used both on a Dutti dolly to get some traveling and height with pan/tilt movements. Check them out too if you don't have them.

Although this is not the Benro Move Up, here's some ideas of what a porta-jib/crane can do for you.
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Anton Kasatkin

PostThu Jul 22, 2021 5:45 pm

My DIY dolly slider and track for camera.Step by step of making this slider on https://www.behance.net/gallery/1054577 ... ema-camera
Attachments
dolly_ver.210.jpg
dolly_ver.210.jpg (517.7 KiB) Viewed 3974 times
dolly_ver.22.jpg
dolly_ver.22.jpg (707.23 KiB) Viewed 3974 times
dolly_ver.21.jpg
dolly_ver.21.jpg (486.21 KiB) Viewed 3974 times
Last edited by Anton Kasatkin on Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canon 6d 24-70 f4 USM 70-200 f2.8 Canon 100-400 mm BMVA 5" ZOOM H6 SENNHEISER 122 G3 SSD Samsung 850 Pro 512 Gb IDX DUO-C190 UltraStudio Mini Recorder Lacie 2BIG 12TB
BMCC 2,5 K Ef Samyang Xeen CF 16mm T2,6 Tilta Nucleus M Full kit

Travis Hodgkinson

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 7:06 am

Anton Kasatkin wrote:My hand made dolly slider and track for camera.History of making this slider on https://www.behance.net/gallery/1054577 ... ema-camera

Oh wow man that's pretty epic! Wish I had those skills and tools :)

Travis Hodgkinson

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 7:12 am

Ellory Yu wrote:Travis, while you're at it looking at movement peripherals, check out portable jibs/cranes. I usually like to have the dollies (skaters, doorways, etc.) and jibs/cranes on set shoots for "smooth and complex" movements. On the go, I always have the Benro Move UP 15 and the Stand for it. This one I own. I also previously own the Kessler porta-jib but the Benro is a much better jib and buy. Hi-Hats are also one other useful thing to have in your arsenal. I've used both on a Dutti dolly to get some traveling and height with pan/tilt movements. Check them out too if you don't have them.

What stand would you recommend for the Up 15 0r 20?
I'd hate to have to dismantle my 645 Fast tripod all the time.

Ellory Yu

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 3:09 pm

Travis Hodgkinson wrote:What stand would you recommend for the Up 15 0r 20?
I'd hate to have to dismantle my 645 Fast tripod all the time.

This is what I used.
https://www.adorama.com/beas14k.html

John Brawley

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 5:40 pm

I own a Cam Tram dolly.

https://gobaddog.com/product/camtram-do ... long-runs/

Before Dana dollies and even before sliders were even a thing, the Cam Tram was one of the first. I used to call this type of dolly a "product dolly" but no one seems to use that anymore.

They don't seem to be in business any more, but I do see them coming up second hand.

This dolly does things almost no other dolly can do.

The dana dolly is conceptually similar, but much smaller and less industrial.

Originally designed to run on extension ladders, it can run on both square and round track. You can take the dolly in a case on a plane and just use lumber when you land to make tracks. Ladders are very rigid !!

One unique feature his that it's EXTENDABLE. So you can very quickly extend the wheel base to fit any gauge of track you have. I've often used it on dolly track. Just yesterday we ditched the chapman dolly we had for this because it was smaller and could get lower.

It can also be used underslung, it has some unique side runners. It had 150mm, 100mm and Mitchel fittings and risers as well as cable jockeys.

It's often good enough to go straight onto floor.

This is the Cadillac of camera dollies. If you can find one, join this secret club of those that know.

Here's a shot of me using it on a ladder. But I've also used it on scaffold tube and straight timber.

JB

CamTram3.jpg
CamTram3.jpg (976.97 KiB) Viewed 3646 times
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

roger.magnusson

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 6:01 pm

There's a Swedish variant of the ladder dolly as well, from the mid 90:s but still available for sale. I haven't tried it but heard good things. They also sell a motorized version.
http://www.cameradolly.se/cameradolly.se/Eng_Home.html

Travis Hodgkinson

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 6:53 am

What!! Dollies on a ladder! That's witchcraft. How clever is that!
Wouldn't it be difficult to find a ladder that suited the dolly though? You know that didn't have bumps/things in the way.

That Dolly John looks like it could withstand a nuke. Reminds me of that brand MTYX or something along those lines. Where there are a gajillion drilled holes all over it :)

If I can find one of those used I might consider it. But I think the DANA is the way I'm going to go as for a new product. Just seems like a solid purchase.

roger.magnusson

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 10:03 am

Protruded aluminum, like used in lightweight ladders, is very smooth. Of course it's up to the user to keep it that way and not bang it around. :)

Howard Roll

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 1:09 pm

Aluminum is a soft metal, easily deformed, fiberglass is going to stand up better to rough handling.

Good Luck

John Brawley

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 3:07 pm

Travis Hodgkinson wrote:What!! Dollies on a ladder! That's witchcraft. How clever is that!
Wouldn't it be difficult to find a ladder that suited the dolly though? You know that didn't have bumps/things in the way.

Never met a straight or extension ladder that I couldn't fit the Camtram onto, nor that was too bumpy aside from obvious problems like clumps of plaster from previous rentals.

The wheels are essentially O-Rings, many of them and they also take out a lot of bumps.

Mostly I don't use ladders, but they are something that's readily available almost everywhere you go and you don't have to CARRY your track with you that way if you're travelling lightweight.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Travis Hodgkinson

PostTue Jul 27, 2021 12:39 am

John Brawley wrote:
Travis Hodgkinson wrote:What!! Dollies on a ladder! That's witchcraft. How clever is that!

Never met a straight or extension ladder that I couldn't fit the Camtram onto, nor that was too bumpy aside from obvious problems like clumps of plaster from previous rentals.

The wheels are essentially O-Rings, many of them and they also take out a lot of bumps.

Mostly I don't use ladders, but they are something that's readily available almost everywhere you go and you don't have to CARRY your track with you that way if you're travelling lightweight.

JB

Makes total sense. I've given it the ol google 1 2 but haven't found one available as of yet. They must be super popular if people aren't getting rid of it.

John Brawley

PostSun Aug 08, 2021 9:42 pm

Useful video for understanding the Camtram. The greatest dolly that no-one has ever heard of.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Ellory Yu

PostThu Aug 12, 2021 3:20 am

John Brawley wrote:Useful video for understanding the Camtram. The greatest dolly that no-one has ever

JB

I really like this JB. It’s good for locations that are local or drivable. Are there company that makes detached tracks that can be taken on distant travels and assemble onsite that works with a Camtram? I also wonder why this is such a novelty that other low price vendors like ProAim has not catch on.

Return to Cinematography