Focus Assist Lines update is Overdue

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Tom Roper

Focus Assist Lines update is Overdue

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 3:12 am

On the Pocket series, the focus assist peaking needs a stronger setting option. This has been covered and it’s an infuriating limitation. It is overdue for an immediate update. Just add a 4th setting option and make it very strong. Yes, I know the consequences, but when the action is moving we need some help just to figure out roughly where the focus distance is. For slower shots like narrative it is currently subtle and precise but a heavy coarse setting is needed when shooting subjects in motion like dancing in low light.
Last edited by Tom Roper on Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sean van Berlo

Re: Focus Assist Peaking update is Overdue

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 5:42 am

I agree 100%. What I found helps (if shooting RAW) is switching to extended video and then switching back to film when editing. Suddenly the peaking becomes much more useful which suggests it is something with the flatter Gen 5 curve that throws off the peaking. Really cumbersome.

Tom Roper

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 1:39 pm

Is shooting BRAW with Extended Video DR and switching back to film when editing a better interim workaround than just shooting in Film DR and using the Extended Video viewing lut?

Shaoyan

PostSat Jul 24, 2021 2:23 am

Tom Roper wrote: using the Extended Video viewing lut?

It is the same as Film DR. However, with a black and white LUT help a bit. Black and white makes colored line stand out more.

Sean van Berlo

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 9:04 am

Tom Roper wrote:Is shooting BRAW with Extended Video DR and switching back to film when editing a better interim workaround than just shooting in Film DR and using the Extended Video viewing lut?

Yes, because the peaking doesn't respond to the lut. However, your false color information will be off so be aware of that. I know the curve of the camera by now so I'm fine eyeballing it as long as I know where middle grey sits (which is the same).

Tom Roper

PostThu Jul 29, 2021 2:38 pm

Sean van Berlo wrote:I agree 100%. What I found helps (if shooting RAW) is switching to extended video and then switching back to film when editing. Suddenly the peaking becomes much more useful which suggests it is something with the flatter Gen 5 curve that throws off the peaking. Really cumbersome.

..your false color information will be off so be aware of that. I know the curve of the camera by now so I'm fine eyeballing it as long as I know where middle grey sits (which is the same).

I tried this and everything you said was correct! Every little bit helps!

Sean van Berlo

Re: Focus Assist Lines update is Overdue

PostThu Jul 29, 2021 7:40 pm

Super glad to hear! Happy shooting!

Return to Cinematography