BMPCC 4k and EVF Portkeys LEYE - HDMI stopped working

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

glowi74

BMPCC 4k and EVF Portkeys LEYE - HDMI stopped working

PostTue Jul 27, 2021 9:48 am

Hello,
I have about a year old BMPCC 4k and a month old EVF Portkeys LEYE, which worked together without problems until yesterday.
I use a cage with USB and HDMI output clamps, both cables are permanently connected, with no repeated inserting and removing.
Yet from day to day HDMI connection to EVF stopped working.
It's either no image, sometimes it works for a moment or there is an image with missing colors or lines.
It looks like a HW problem with a cable or a connector.
But:
there was no accident that could damage the camera or the EVF.
The camera's HDMI output works with no problems with an external monitor Feelworld 7
The EVF works with a notebook HDMI output and works when connected to the HDMI OUT of the monitor, which has HDMI through.
So I really don't know where is the problem and don't really hope that anybody will help me.
I guess the only solution is either a new camera or an EVF.

But at least I'd like to determine which product doesn't work to avoid the maker in the future.

thanks in advance for any help

Libor Arndt

drknsss

Re: BMPCC 4k and EVF Portkeys LEYE - HDMI stopped working

PostWed Aug 04, 2021 2:30 am

Hi!

My LEYE failed last month after 6 months use for no reason I could see. I also had some trouble finding out where to send it for repair/replacement. It turns out Portkeys Facebook website is the fastest way to get a hold of them. I sent my EVF in and once they got the tracking info they sent the replacement. This issue took about 20 business days to resolve because I had to ship to China.

It was annoying to be without the EVF as I rely on it heavily and there were some funny text exchanges because of the language barrier.

Return to Cinematography