Arri Hi-5 Hand Unit

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

timbutt2

Arri Hi-5 Hand Unit

PostTue Jul 27, 2021 12:13 pm

Wow, Arri pulled all the stops with this one. Looks amazing: https://www.arri.com/en/camera-systems/ ... dx-2kbP6O8

Really wish that Blackmagic Cameras were part of the Third-Party Camera Control. But maybe Blackmagic Camera Development Team could communicate with Arri to build it into future cameras? Or, maybe there's a future for the Wireless Camera Control I've requested in the past with a Blackmagic Wireless Hand Unit and Wireless Video Assists?

I know I'm beating a dead horse. But, it is an integral part of the future of all cameras.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Gavin_c_clark

Re: Arri Hi-5 Hand Unit

PostTue Jul 27, 2021 12:50 pm

Wow that looks awesome would be really cool to have that sort of tech on bmd cams.

Might be a bit of a reach with arri though. Fresh from my recent experience of getting service parts for my sr3, I’m fairly certain that hi5 unit will cost more than an ursa mini pro

timbutt2

PostTue Jul 27, 2021 3:31 pm

Gavin_c_clark wrote:Wow that looks awesome would be really cool to have that sort of tech on bmd cams.

Might be a bit of a reach with arri though. Fresh from my recent experience of getting service parts for my sr3, I’m fairly certain that hi5 unit will cost more than an ursa mini pro

If I had to guess it will probably cost around $10K because the WCU-4 cost something like $8.5K if I remember right...

So yeah, the cost of a new UMP12K. I'd be fine if Blackmagic made a dedicated type for $3.5K. But is should also work with other camera brands other than their own...

So I think this might be a SMPTE Protocol deal where all camera companies should develop under the same engineering protocols to work within the system.

John Brawley

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 6:07 pm

Weird trivia.

Casey, is the actor that was in Afterglow, which was the first launch footage shot with Blackmagic's very first camera, the BMCC.

Casey was also in a popular kids music / TV group that a lot of Australian kids have grown up with called Hi5.....

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Ulysses Paiva

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 10:25 pm

John Brawley wrote:

JB

Man, that looks GOOD today!!!
Nobody would think how well it would've aged.

Do you remember the lens you used back then?
Ulysses Paiva

timbutt2

PostThu Jul 29, 2021 12:11 am

John Brawley wrote:Weird trivia.

Casey, is the actor that was in Afterglow, which was the first launch footage shot with Blackmagic's very first camera, the BMCC.

Casey was also in a popular kids music / TV group that a lot of Australian kids have grown up with called Hi5.....

JB
That’s great trivia. If only Arri had used Hi5 to advertise their new Hi-5 Unit. Could have made an interesting reunion for the Australian market.

And, that Afterglow footage really does hold up. Still love the 2.5K even if I don’t use it anymore. May have to find an excuse to use it again for a project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to Cinematography